Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Password authentication using NIS

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 97 11:28:58 BST

> 
> Is there any NIS client for the MAC?

Yup, it's called MacLogin:
http://users.ccnet.com/~kiberkli/maclogin/about-maclogin.html

I'm using it to force students to authenticate against the Unix system
at boot time, works via appleshare, ftp/pop or password on the local machine/
server.
later
jb

---

From: Eric Dubiel-CED016 <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 9:07:35 -0500

[email-masked]%INTERNET wrote: >

> at boot time, works via appleshare, ftp/pop or password on the local

I have to investigate this further, however, this software doesn't seem
to actually NIS authenticate.  We're testing, with great success -
NISGINA - a Windows NT NIS authentication login prompt which alleviates
the need to buy Windows NoT Server!  ;)
See http://www.dcs.qmw.ac.uk/~williams/

Now, too bad Mac OS doesn't have this functionality to "create user
accounts" as does NT.  Perhaps Xedoc could release a Mac OS version of
the NIS compatible NetInfo which is part of Rhapsody and OPENSTEP/MACH.

Anyone know of a complete solution which could lock a hard drive - even
if it's removed from the machine, and use the *same* account & password
to login on Mac OS as we do via NIS on UNIX, and now also NT?

Any help would be MUCH appreciated.  We'd like to have a standard
(universal) way to login on Mac, NT and UNIX but also be able to
restrict certain users with NIS UNIX accounts from particular machines.
Once this goal is accomplished we wish to mount a standard home
directory on a UNIX box, where users will universally store files
regardless of the computer platform...

Thx.
Eric
--
Eric A. Dubiel   Motorola, Inc.,FPDC Computer Support Group
http://www.ilstu.edu/~eadubie mailto:[email-masked]

"I first saw NEXTSTEP in 1990 and I was blown away."
       -Eric Schmidt, Novell, Inc. CEO
VIEWS EXPRESSED ARE ENTIRELY MY OWN    MIME,HTML,PGP Mail ok