Subject: Sharing *from* a Mac *to* Unix

From: "Dannyman @ Dannyland" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 10:12:54 -0500 (CDT)

Hi. Uhmmm.

Sometimes the world is backwards. It may be possible that at some future
date I may become involved in another web project. For some bizarre reason
though they run it off a Macintosh.

Ironically enough, I own naught but Unix boxen.

I have netatalk installed on this one ... is it possible to mount an
AppleShare drive onto my machine? Say just have a /mac_html directory
somewheres or such? How would I go about doing that? Has this ever been
done before?

TIA!

  //Dan  -=-     This message brought to you by [email-masked]    -=-
\\/yori  -=-     HOME PAGE! http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/djhoward/     -=-
                          The Choice for Me: SPAM FREE!

---

From: Harald Roelle <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 16:20:42 GMT

>somewheres or such? How would I go about doing that? Has this ever been

Ben Hekster started to work on file system driver for AppleShare, at least
for Linux.

Have a look at <http://www.odyssey.co.il/~heksterb/Software/afpfs/>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Harald Roelle                                             [email-masked]

---

From: Derrick J Brashear <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 12:12:44 -0400 (EDT)

http://prozac.cwru.edu/jude/macnfs/Macnfsd.html
has an nfsd for Macs to allow you to share files from Mac to Unix.

-D

---

From: Andrew Watson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 12:18:33 -0400

try Xinet software.  they have a lot of cool stuff that let's you do that.

andrew watson

System Administrator and Official Mascot
Interactive Distance Learning Office
Florida State University
http://www.idl.fsu.edu and http://mac.idl.fsu.edu
http://www.gleep.org

---

From: Mario Klebsch DG1AM <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 14:29:51 +0200

Hi!

>somewheres or such? How would I go about doing that? Has this ever been

This is almost impossible. The most important reason is, that the afp
is not multi user capable. When a Volume would be mounted with afp,
all accesses would be done using the same UID. There are a limited
range of applications, where this would be ok, but in general it is
not ok to do so.

You would have to do something like "personal mounts" on the UNIX box,
where every user of the system can mount his own file systems. But
most UNIX systems do not allow other users than root to mount file
systems.

But there is an afp client for UNIX. I do not know, wether it is part
of CAP or netatalk. But I did use it to access files on a mac. It runs
as a user process and is used a bit like FTP.

73, Mario
-- 
Mario Klebsch, DG1AM, [email-masked]		+49 531 / 391 - 7457
Institut fuer Robotik und Prozessinformatik der TU Braunschweig
Hamburger Strasse 267, 38114 Braunschweig, Germany