Subject: Re: Netatalk 1.4b2 on Solaris 2.5.1

From: Marc Lavall�e <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 05:15:51 -0400

Matthew Temple wrote:

[...]
> and it seems that most ongoing development of cross-platform Mac
> Servers will turn out to be in Cap and Netatalk.
[...]
> Not to deny the use of real technical support.  But a smart
> administrator knows that having a second protocol, having a second
> provider of a service, and having other platforms on which software
> runs are all prudent decisions.   Who do you yell at when the company
> goes belly up?

I deeply agree with you Matthew, but here's my real life story than explain why I'm 
using KAShare instead of Netatalk or CAP:

I recently installed a 9 Gigs drive on a Solaris server to manage an archive of over 
40 thousands images. I first tried to install Netatalk because I'm using it with 
success on a few Linux boxes; Netatalk is much better than CAP but version 1.4b2 was 
not working well enough so I turned to CAP. CAP did the job for a few months then for 
some reason it started to crash from time to time, not to mention the difficulties I 
had to configure it. KAShare is easier to install and configure, it is solid and 
faster than CAP. KAShare is commercial but it is not too "dangerous" to use it because 
its file structure is compatible with CAP. So even if Microsoft acquire KAShare to 
kill the Macintosh market, I can get back to CAP or Netatalk (wich are essential to 
the Macintosh/Unix community).

Marc