Subject: [netatalk-admins] papd, laserwriter 8.5.1, and ppd files

From: Michael Scott Boers <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 97 08:37:30 -0000

First the background:

Netatalk 1.4b2
FreeBSD  2.2.2
MacOs    8
LaserWriter 8.5.1
Printers HP LaserJet 4M, 4M+, Tektronics Phaser 560

When I set up my printers with papd, the printer information returned by 
the chooser about the dpi of the printer and other items are incorrect.  
If I try to download the font list, the chooser just hangs.  I examined 
the contents of the ppd files for the printers and they all have 
interactive postscript to query the printer about its characteristics.  
Does papd support these interactive statements?

I read through the man pages on papd, if there are other good references 
for setting up printers with netatalk I would like to know about them.

Thanks in advance,

Michael Scott Boers
Datacomp Appraisal Services