Subject: [netatalk-admins] adventures with FDDI

From: [email-masked] (William P. McGonigle)
Date: 15 Dec 97 16:46:44 EST

I asked a while back if it was possible to get netatalk running on FDDI.  The
answer so far is a definite maybe.

It seems netatalk can talk to the FDDI adapter perfectly.  I'm getting nonsense
so far, but no noise.

For one, netatalk can't gather the routing information properly.  It winds up
setting the net range for the max.  I can specify it, if I turn write access
off to the atalkd.conf, otherwise it overwrites.

When the interface comes up, I can do some appletalk stuff before it panics. 
The weird thing is that if I do an nbplkup, I get responses from many different
nets - not just those in my zone.  I haven't even come up with a theory about
how this can happen yet.

Anyway, I'm hoping it's just a configuration problem, so I'm including some
messages below, in case anyone can divine anything from them:

Dec 15 16:29:56 sunwebserver1 unix: pseudo-device: ddp0
Dec 15 16:29:56 sunwebserver1 unix: ddp0 is /pseudo/ddp@0
Dec 15 16:30:48 sunwebserver1 atalkd[1796]: rtmp_packet: can't remove loopback:
No such file or directory
Dec 15 16:31:25 sunwebserver1 atalkd[1796]: looproute panic two routes
Dec 15 16:31:25 sunwebserver1 atalkd[1796]: as_timer: can't route 268.101 to
loopback: Address family not supported by protocol family

Not sure why it's complaing about the loopback:

lo0: flags=849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 8232
        inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000 
nf0: flags=863<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 4352
        inet 130.189.240.141 netmask fffffc00 broadcast 130.189.243.255
        ether 8:0:20:8f:26:af 

Thanks for anything,
-Bill