Subject: [netatalk-admins] MS Word 6 creating generic icons

From: Michael May <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 15:28:02 -0700

Here's a weird one:

MS Word 6.0.1 files are in some cases saved with generic icons on a
netatalk 1.4b2+asun2.0a14 volume. To witness: Open a folder in the finder.
Switch to Word, keep a view of the folder's finder window in the
background. Create and save a file to that folder. Proper icon appears.
Close the Word file. The icon goes generic (automatically in OS 8, after
window refresh in OS 7). Creator and type codes are blank.

If you repeat the process, but after saving and before closing, you merely
switch to the finder and back, then close, the icon remains correct.

This behavior is not seen with Word 5, Excel 5, ClarisWorks 4, or
PowerPoint 4. This behavior is also not seen when saving to a regular
AppleShare volume, or with a 68K machine, all other parameters the same.

Setup:
netatalk1.4b2+asun2.0a14 on linux
System 7.6.1 OR Mac OS 8
PowerBase 180 OR PowerMac 7200/120
MS Word 6.0.1

I have a feeling that this has something to do with the OS8 finder
jumpiness fix (?). But the real prob seems to be with Word 6.

Can anyone reproduce this?

----------------------------
Michael May
San Francisco Estuary Institute
(510) 231-9539