Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Macromedia Freehand Problem

From: John Barry -Technician <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 97 15:10:10 BST

Hi folks,
> > This is WRONG. When the afpd recognizes the file as binary (with it's 
> > filetype), then it will be treated as binary.
> > The true way to test:
> 
> Hmmm....this is interesting since I had problems running binaries off of
> my shared volumes when I had the translation enabled.  Then again, I'm no
> netatalk or Mac expert....just trying to help :P

I'm running 1.4b2+asun13, compiled straight from the box on SunOS 4.1.4
and I have successfully run word 6.0 from our unix box across the ether,
worked first time. I simply dragged word to my unix account and then
opened my account and double clicked on the word icon.
later
jb

---

From: Bill Studenmund <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 13:44:12 -0700 (PDT)

> Hi folks,

[possable translation problems]

> opened my account and double clicked on the word icon.

This test isn't conclusive for two reasons. One, if things are set up
right, APPL's should be treated as binary.

More importantly, translation should be reversed when you read the file
via netatalk. So the mac will always get back what it sent. 

Translation can only go wrong in one of two ways. One, if you care about
the file under unix. Like GIF files going to a web server or files shared
with PC's, say via samba. Files written but not read by netatalk.

Another way is if the file is initially created as a file with one file
type, and then later changed to another file type. So one translation'll
happen on the way there, and another will happen on the way back.

I bet something else's wrong.

Take care,

Bill