Subject: [netatalk-admins] Netatalk and AppleScript - Newbie Questions

From: Graham Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 10:56:39 +0100

I am trying to create a small AppleScript application to run off a 
read-only remote volume.  This application seems to want to update 
itself on exit for some reason (presumably a global variable I can't 
see - I am a novice at AppleScript as well).  Up until yesterday I 
was using CAP which gave error -36 if the application was locked or 
the volume was read-only guest access.  This seemed rather an over 
the top error number to return.  As I have never been convinced by 
CAP I thought I'd give netatalk a go (I am using 1.4b2 on Solaris 
2.5.1) as it seems to have a better approach all round.  Indeed I no 
longer have any problems with locked applications on writable 
volumes.  However with the read-only guest access I get an error -50 
(parameter error) returned and in the logs I see messages like:

afpd[11377]: afp_setforkparams: ad_rtruncate: Bad file number 

Could someone enlighten me as to what exactly the above means in 
plainer terms, and perhaps if there is a solution to my problem 
staring me in the face.

All help and advice gratefully received.

Graham

--
--------------------------------------------------------
 Graham Johnson     | e-mail: [email-masked]
 Systems Programmer |    tel: +44 (0)171-387 7050 x2829
 The Library, UCL   |    fax: +44 (0)171-388 5406
--------------------------------------------------------
c/o Systems Integration, Information Systems Division,
    University College London, Gower St, London WC1E 6BT

---

From: David Walker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 15:20:30 -0400

>>> Graham Johnson <[email-masked]> - 7/23/97 5:56 AM >>>

> see - I am a novice at AppleScript as well).

I think it's trying to insert an alias ('ALIS', I think) resource
for any applications used in the script.  I seem to recall that
there's a way around this, but my Applescript is rusty.

  -d.w.