Subject: routing segments in appletalk (problem solved)

From: Fernan Rodriguez Cespedes <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 15:04:07 -0300

List:

	I am posting this so it gets into de archive and other users
can retrieve it and not have the same problem. My original question
was posted before.

	The challenge was the following:

1.- I have 4 servers connected to a backbone (eth0 on all of them)
2.- Operating system is linux and kernels are (2.0.30 and 2.0.0)
3.- All the servers have a second NIC interface and some of them
    have macintosh clients (but I want to run appletlak on all
    segments in order to simply plug and play macs in my net).

So I numbered the backbone with the net adress 100. Thus:

Server1 = 100.1 (eth0)
Server2 = 100.2 (eth0)
Server3 = 100.3 (eth0)
Server4 = 100.4 (eth0)

Each of the client's segments was numbered like this:

Server1 other segment = 101.1 (eth1)
Server2 = 102.1 (eth1) and so on.

I found out appletalk (or netatalk) would not route unless there is a
zone declared for each segment.

So here are the config files:

Server1:
eth0 -seed -phase 2 -net 100 -addr 100.1 -zone "Backbone"
eth1 -seed -phase 2 -net 101 -addr 101.1 -zone "Zone 1"

Server2:
eth0 -seed -phase 2 -net 100 -addr 100.2 -zone "Backbone"
eth1 -seed -phase 2 -net 102 -addr 102.1 -zone "Zone 2"

Server3:
eth0 -seed -phase 2 -net 100 -addr 100.3 -zone "Backbone"
eth1 -seed -phase 2 -net 103 -addr 103.1 -zone "Zone 3"

Server4:
eth0 -seed -phase 2 -net 100 -addr 100.4 -zone "Backbone"
eth1 -seed -phase 2 -net 104 -addr 104.1 -zone "Zone 4"

First I thought it was the linux kernel, but seems both version 2.0.0
and 2.0.30 are ok.

-- 

Saludos - Pastito

Save As                         Linux
http://www.saveas.com.ar        http://www.linux.com.ar
ftp://ftp.saveas.com.ar         ftp://ftp.linux.com.ar
[email-masked]           [email-masked]