Subject: [netatalk-admins] psf on Solaris 2.6

From: Tim Buller <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 22:55:38 -0500 (CDT)

I'm trying to replace our ancient CAP on a 4.1.3 box with 1.4b2 on Solaris
2.6, but I've not been able to get the Unix side printer to LocalTalk
connected printers. Does anyone have a LP Interface script or something
simliar that I can use with the LP Server. The printing experience is much
improved under 2.6, with the client and server now being their own
entities, but I have not been clever enough to get the server to use psf
to talk to LocalTalk connected printers.

Any advice / help would be appreciated.

	Tim

====
Tim Buller                                       [email-masked]
Systems Specialist                       Snow Hall 643, (785) 864-7311
Department of Mathematics     University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS 66045

---

From: Tim Buller <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 23:22:03 -0500 (CDT)

I've also been trying to install 1.4b2 on a Solaris 2.5.1 machine with the
4.3 BSD lpr stack compiled from source (put together by Doug Hughes).

Everything seems to work fine, until I try to print, and then I get:

Sep 24 23:17:53 ftp.math.ukans.edu ofpap[1411]: 1412 died with 2
Sep 24 23:17:53 ftp.math.ukans.edu lpd[1410]: signal 0, error 0, code 0
Sep 24 23:17:54 ftp.math.ukans.edu ofpap[1413]: 1414 died with 2
Sep 24 23:17:54 ftp.math.ukans.edu lpd[1410]: signal 0, error 0, code 0
Sep 24 23:17:55 ftp.math.ukans.edu ofpap[1415]: 1416 died with 2
Sep 24 23:17:55 ftp.math.ukans.edu lpd[1410]: signal 0, error 0, code 0
Sep 24 23:17:56 ftp.math.ukans.edu ofpap[1417]: 1418 died with 2
Sep 24 23:17:56 ftp.math.ukans.edu lpd[1410]: signal 0, error 0, code 0

etc., until I kill the lpd process listed. What's going on? It does this
regardless of if there's a .paprc in the spool directory...

Is there any time-frame on "real" Solaris (=SysV type LP) support?

	Tim

====

---

From: Tim Rand <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 08:52:09 -0500

>4.3 BSD lpr stack compiled from source (put together by Doug Hughes).

Tim,

I am using Solaris 2.5.1 and printing through the "pipe" support in the
print queuing.  My papd.conf file contains:

 >QMS 2000 Spool:\
 >     :pr=|/usr/bin/lp:op=operator:pd=/usr/share/lib/ppd/QMS2000.PPD:

This seems to work just fine and should work for you.  Try it.

Note the PIPE character "|" is the first character in the pr= string.