Subject: [netatalk-admins] afpd crashes

From: Osma Ahvenlampi <[email-masked]>
Date: 21 Oct 1997 18:43:35 +0300

In the netatalk-admins archive, I found a reference to a problem I'm
experiencing. Namely, in last July there was some discussion about
afpd hanging when the user gives an incorrect password on a Debian
Linux system. I see the same on Red Hat Linux, kernel versions tested
2.0.28 through 2.0.31, netatalk 1.4b2. Has anyone managed to solve
this issue?

-- 
Osma Ahvenlampi <[email-masked]>

---

From: Erik <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 13:18:44 +0100

> 2.0.28 through 2.0.31, netatalk 1.4b2. Has anyone managed to solve

I had the same problem on Redhat 4.1 with netatalk 1.3.3-7,
Redhat 4.2 with netatalk 1.4b2-1 and Debian 1.3.1 with netatalk 1.4b2.

Try netatalk-1_4b2+asun2_0a17_tar.gz !
This version has no problems with incorrect passwords and it works even
faster
killing the afpd daemon.

Bye,
        Erik

---

From: Osma Ahvenlampi <[email-masked]>
Date: 22 Oct 1997 18:29:20 +0300

> Redhat 4.2 with netatalk 1.4b2-1 and Debian 1.3.1 with netatalk 1.4b2.

Currently, I'm suspecting the modifications made to the authentication
code to support PAM. Haven't verified this yet, though.

> faster killing the afpd daemon.

What is asun2_0a17 and where can I find it?

-- 
Religions revolve madly around sexual questions.
Osma Ahvenlampi <[email-masked]>

---

From: Mark Donnelly <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 11:28:17 -0500 (CDT)

> code to support PAM. Haven't verified this yet, though.

That would make sense, since the patchset mentioned below includes PAM
suppourt.

> > faster killing the afpd daemon.

Hmm...silly me, I thought it wouldn't work at all after killing the afpd
daemon :-P

> What is asun2_0a17 and where can I find it?

The asun source tree is (as I'm given to understand) based off the 1.4b2
source tree.  What happened is that this really nice man named Adrian Sun
decided to take it upon himself to add the AppleshareIP into the source
tree, since he didn't see anyone else doing it.  (there actually are a
couple of people doing it, but he's the most visible and active)  This
would be his 17th patchset on whatever code base he started out with.  As
he posted a few days ago, the files can be found at:

<ftp://ftp.u.washington.edu/public/asun/netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.0a17.tar.gz>
<ftp://ftp.u.washington.edu/public/asun/a16-a17.diff.gz>
<ftp://ftp.u.washington.edu/public/asun/1.4b2-a17.diff.gz>

Be warned: The people who actually maintain the netatalk source trees
(Wesley Craig(?) out of the the University of Michigan) say that his
changes likely won't be wholly adopted, if for no other reason than that
Washington University's legal copyright isn't compatible with the
University of Michigan's.  However, that being said, asun's stuff does
work _very_ well, and it has solved a couple of problems that have cropped
up (like MacOS8 suddenly checking for more info in the finder, which
caused unceasing updates.  This might be corrected in base 1.4b2, but it
wasn't last I checked.)

If you're going to use his stuff, BE SURE to read the apropriate readmes
(like README.ASUN!) and alter the sys/linux/Makefile (or wherever that is)
to match your system.  Specifically, most people's source of problems
comes from not taking quota support out of the Makefile!

Have fun!
--Mark
    "I think so Brain, but if they called them sad meals, then nobody
        would buy them." 
   --Pinky

---

From: Erik Heim <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 22:40:34 +0100

> Hmm...silly me, I thought it wouldn't work at all after killing the afpd

Sorry :-)  it's not true, that it doesn't  work with netatalk 1.3.3.... I mean
that afpd of 1.4b2+asun is
killing itself faster than the afpd of 1.3.3 after typing in an incorrect
password. (it's of no importance)

Bye,Erik

---

From: Osma Ahvenlampi <[email-masked]>
Date: 27 Oct 1997 22:37:44 +0200

> decided to take it upon himself to add the AppleshareIP into the source

Ooh, wonderful, I grabbed netatalk1.4b2+asun17, it compiled with very
little effort (I did have to configure it a bit to change it to use
PAM, disable CRLF conversion, and the other basic mods), and fixed all
my problems. And AppleShare over IP is lots faster, too, which makes
my users happy.

Thanks!

-- 
Radioactive cats have 18 half-lives. 
Osma Ahvenlampi <[email-masked]>