Subject: Netatalk hardware requirements?

From: [email-masked] (Georg Schwarz)
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 22:42:44 +0200

I today Installed the latest beta version of Netatalk on a 386 DX33 with
8 MB RAM running Linux 2.0.29 with AppleTalk support enabled.
I could register the machine, and it was visible in the chooser of a Mac
on the same ethernet. However, when I selected it and tried to open it
from the Mac nothing happened (the Mac just gave up after a few
seconds). I did not find any error messages in messages or syslog, nor
did the debug mode report anything. The PC has a 16 bit ISA NE2000
compatible ethernet card. Other services like ftp, telnet or NFS work
flawlessly to that machine. We're using ThinEthernet. Both Mac and PC
are "neigbours" on the chain with only about 2m of Ethernet cable
between them. Could that be a problem, or is the machine/the ethernet
card simply too slow?
I then installed Netatalk on a Pentium 100 a few rooms away also running
Linux 2.0.29 and having 24 MB RAM and a 16 bit ISA 3COM ethernet card. I
used exactly the same setup, but this time, everything went smoothly (so
I guess it's not a setup problem; both PCs didn't have any load, BTW).
Can NetaTalk run on lowly 386 machines?
Thanks.
-- 
Georg Schwarz     [email-masked], [email-masked]
Institut für Theoretische Physik       +49 30 314-24254, FAX -21130
Technische Universität Berlin        http://home.pages.de/~schwarz/

---

From: [email-masked] (William P. McGonigle)
Date: 27 Jun 97 16:57:25 EDT

--- Georg Schwarz wrote:
--- end of quote ---

I use it successfully on a 386SX/16 and an NE2000. 

I don't think Linux will run on anything slower. :)

There are some poor NE2000 clones, though.  Try swapping the ethernet cards.

-Bill