Subject: [netatalk-admins] problems with MacOS 8 and netatalk ...

From: Blair MacIntyre <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 12:18:24 -0500 (EST)

I just joined the list after installing 1.42b2, hoping it would fix the
problems I'm having.

Basically, if I open a directory on my mac that is exported from Linux via
netatalk, it continually refreshes the window (for example, the list view
counts up the files as it acquires them, reaches 109 files, falls back
down the 73 files, goes slowly back up to 109, and repeats forever)

Thi is making it fairly unusable ... the files are constantly moving in
the window (list view), lots of cpu time is being spent doing this.

Is this a know problem?  Is there a workaround?

---

From: Michael May <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 09:46:46 -0800

Two fixes: try this patch:

>An official patch has been released on the netatalk web pages to fix currently
>known problems with netatalk's integration with MacOS8.
>
>The patch can be found at the following web page:
>
>    http://www.umich.edu/~rsug/netatalk/patches/1.4b2/
>
>So far, nobody using the patch, including us, has reported any problems
>with the
>patch.  If you find anything, please contact us at:
>
>    [email-masked]

Or asun's latest patch:

>i've made a17 available at ftp.u.washington.edu:/public/asun. here's
>the relevant urls:
><ftp://ftp.u.washington.edu/public/asun/netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.0a17.tar.gz>
><ftp://ftp.u.washington.edu/public/asun/a16-a17.diff.gz>
><ftp://ftp.u.washington.edu/public/asun/1.4b2-a17.diff.gz>

----------------------------
Michael May
San Francisco Estuary Institute
(510) 231-9539

---

From: John Ostrowick <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 10:20:34 +0200 (SAT)

i have seen this too, even with 17a

________________________________________________________________
John Ostrowick                 [email-masked]
Computer Science Department,   University of the Witwatersrand
1 Jan Smuts Ave, Johannesburg, South Africa. Senate House 1012
Phone: +27 11 716-3783         Fax: +27 11 339-3513
My web page: http://macaroni.cs.wits.ac.za/more/jon/aboutme.html
My ftp site: ftp://macaroni.cs.wits.ac.za
My listserv: http://macaroni.cs.wits.ac.za/listservs.html

---

From: Vivek <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 17:24:34 +0000 (GMT)

> Is this a know problem?  Is there a workaround?  

I suspect someone's about to tell you to get asun's patches from.

Assuming my brain hasn't melted in the last week or so, and I'm still
sane(ish), these should address the MacOS8 problems.

--
fsck -f -b 8193 /dev/cortex

---

From: Software Development <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 10:55:30 -0600

I have seen this, too, even *without* netatalk.  Specifically, I've had
a couple of machine starting exhibiting this behavior when connecting to
a SunOS 4.1.1 machine via our GatorBoxes.  Both started having the problem
when upgraded to MacOS 8.  One was a 6400/200, the other an 8500/150.  On
the other hand, I've got other MacOS 8 machines that don't have the problem
at all (e.g., a 9600/300, 7300/180).  Dunno what the cause might be, since
I don't discern any pattern to the kind of machine it occurs on, other than
it's only for MacOS 8 systems.

-- 
Paul DuBois
[email-masked]
Home page: http://www.primate.wisc.edu/people/dubois
 Software: http://www.primate.wisc.edu/software

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 15:46:45 -0500

> From:     Blair MacIntyre <[email-masked]>

> the window (list view), lots of cpu time is being spent doing this.

Please look at the patches pages for 1.4b2 off of:
    http://www.umich.edu/~rsug/netatalk/

Should find what you need.

EV
AN

---

From: Jeff Wiegley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 17:48:05 -0800

Apologies for not even being able to get started with
printing but the netatalk documentation on the subject
is almost non-existant and the printing-HOWTO page
is on a foreign site which never seems to be reachable
and the printing pages on the domestic site are gone...

We have netatalk and samba working flawlessly here and
my bosses are/were quite pleased until...

   "Hey, we can't print..."

so now I'm quickly trying to get printing up and running
and what I have so far is /etc/printcap...

    admin|Admin LaserWriter on AppleTalk:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/admin:\
        :lp=/var/spool/lpd/admin/null:\
        :lf=/var/spool/lpd/appletalk/admin-errs:\
        :sh:\
        :mx#0:\
        :of=/usr/bin/pap:

    production|Production LaserWriter on AppleTalk:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/production:\
        :lp=/var/spool/lpd/production/null:\
        :lf=/var/spool/lpd/appletalk/production-errs:\
        :sh:\
        :mx#0:\
        :of=/usr/bin/pap:

but I haven't tested any "lpr -Pproduction <file>" things yet
because appearantly pap isn't working...

[root@server lpd]# pap -p admin testpage.ps
admin:LaserWriter@*: NBP Lookup failed
[root@server lpd]# pap -p Admin testpage.ps
Admin:LaserWriter@*: NBP Lookup failed

and we *do* have an appletalk printer named "Admin".

so it seems that our server cannot see any of the appletalk
devices because...

[root@server nbp]# nbplkup
     server:AFPServer                          65280.123:128
     server:netatalk                           65280.123:4
     server:Workstation                        65280.123:4

and that's it. no printers listed, no other macs listed and
we must have at least a dozen macs floating around here.

checking the appleshare under another mac's chooser shows
5 different machines including the server.

what have I screwed up so bad that the server doesn't be able
to see in the direction of the clients but the clients can
all see and use the server? Any ideas?

- Jeff Wiegley

---

From: Jeff Wiegley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 18:14:58 -0800

Still trying to pursue my printing problem.  Is this maybe the
cause of my sorrows...

>From the linux printing HOWTO...

11.4.  To an EtherTalk (Apple) printer

  The netatalk package includes something like nprint and smbclient.
  Others have documented the procedure for printing to and from an Apple
  network far better than I ever will; see the Linux Netatalk-HOWTO
  <http://thehamptons.com/anders/netatalk/>.

  Obscure caveat of the week: Netatalk does not work with SMC Etherpower
  PCI Card with a DEC tulip chip.

the obscure caveat is what I'm worried about because, of course, I
have an EtherPower card based on the DEC 21140 tulip chip.  Is this
what is causing my netatalk server to be incapable of seeing other
appletalk equipment in the default zone?

- Jeff Wiegley

---

From: Paul Wilkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 1997 12:31:56 +1100 (EST)

I've got an SMC EtherPower 10/100 21140 Running Linux 2.0.30 with netatalk 
just peachy. I use the DE4x5 driver. Maybe give this driver a go.

Paul

> appletalk equipment in the default zone?

        TTT    M M M  PPP
         T     MMMMM  PPPP   
         T     M M M  P
                        
Disclaimer:
The views herein expressed do not necessarily reflect those of 
TMP Worldwide or its affiliated companies.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 1997 23:35:03 +0000

Hello, I'm running Redhat 4.2 w/ netatalk 1.4b2 rpm installed.

Does Netatalk _not_ work with the tulip driver??  I am using the 
driver and running netware emulation and samba and obviously tcp/ip.  
All seem to be working just fine but netatalk does not find any 
other zones on nbplkup.  times out 'atp_rresp: Connection timed out' 
on getzones and /var/log/messages says: atalkd[268]: config for no 
router and I know there are several Apple talk routers on our 
network.  if i just put the interface in /etc/atalkd.conf:
eth0
it returns random addresses.  Latest is:
eth0 -phase 2 -net 0-65534 -addr 6644.244

I have edited the /etc/atalkd.conf trying:
eth0 -phase 2 -net 0-65534 -zone 
"CAC-Communication-AlexanderJohnston"  
"CAC...." is an existing zone that has 2 servers in my building it 
it. I have tried no atalkd.conf file which again returns 
random addresses in the atalkd.conf file and doesnt find a router.  

I have tried changing the /etc/rc.d/init.d/atalk.init file to:
ATALK_NAME=@CAC-Communication-AlexanderJohnston and that yeilds a 
cannot register error.  I have not been very successful in finding a 
lot of documentation on Netatalk so I figured I'd ask.  I've been 
working on this all day today and I'm a bit tired.  If I left out any 
useful info required to assist me please let me know.

Thank you.