Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] AppleVolumes.system - Entrys

From: Tom Watson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 10:32:24 -0800

In previous email, Christian Jung wrote:

>>Check your "AppleVolumes.system" file.  It maps the PC suffix to a Mac
>>type/creator.  Make sure you have something like:
>>.html   TEXT    MOSS
>>This will make .html files show up as Netscape files.
>>.gif    GIFf    8BIM
>>This will make .gif files show up a Photoshop files.
>
>Does anybody know where I can find information about these entrys?
>I dont know what MOSS or 8BIM stand for. Is there a list or something
>showing that MOSS means Netscape-File or 8BIM a Photoshop-File?
>As a PC user I would like some information about this AppleVolumes.system
>file be included in the Netatalk package. Think there is no info yet :(

The entries shown above (TEXT, and MOSS for example) are the mac's 'type' and 
'creator' codes.  The first (the type code) indicates various file types, 
application, text file, gif file, etc..  The second indicates the default 
program to launch when double clicking on the document.  On the PC, this is 
usually indicated by the extension of the file.

There are some programs that show the type & creator codes for a particular 
file, but the one that I'm the happiest with is called 'Snitch'.  It modifies 
the 'Get Info...' screen to show the type & creator codes, and allows changing 
them.  If you have the program in question, create a small 'test' file and see 
what type/creator codes it comes up with.  Apple registers creator codes so 
that they may be unique, and has defined a couple of type codes (TEXT is one of 
them) as 'standard'.  There may be a definitive list of PC type file extensions 
and their mapping to type/creator codes, but I'm not sure where it is.

Hope this helps.
----
Tom Watson            Generic short signature
[email-masked]   (home:  [email-masked])