Subject: [netatalk-admins] Fixed--MS Word 6 creating generic icons

From: Michael May <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 12:07:02 -0700

The Word icon problem referred to below is gone after installing Adrian's
a17 patch.

Thank you Adrian!

-Mike

----------------------------
>Here's a weird one:
>
>MS Word 6.0.1 files are in some cases saved with generic icons on a
>netatalk 1.4b2+asun2.0a14 volume. To witness: Open a folder in the finder.
>Switch to Word, keep a view of the folder's finder window in the
>background. Create and save a file to that folder. Proper icon appears.
>Close the Word file. The icon goes generic (automatically in OS 8, after
>window refresh in OS 7). Creator and type codes are blank.
>
>If you repeat the process, but after saving and before closing, you merely
>switch to the finder and back, then close, the icon remains correct.
>
>This behavior is not seen with Word 5, Excel 5, ClarisWorks 4, or
>PowerPoint 4. This behavior is also not seen when saving to a regular
>AppleShare volume, or with a 68K machine, all other parameters the same.
>
>Setup:
>netatalk1.4b2+asun2.0a14 on linux
>System 7.6.1 OR Mac OS 8
>PowerBase 180 OR PowerMac 7200/120
>MS Word 6.0.1
>
>I have a feeling that this has something to do with the OS8 finder
>jumpiness fix (?). But the real prob seems to be with Word 6.
>
>Can anyone reproduce this?

----------------------------
Michael May
San Francisco Estuary Institute
(510) 231-9539