Subject: Netatalk + asuns IP-Patches Without AppleTalk...

From: "Thies C. Arntzen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 13:10:55 +0200

Hi,
i've installed
<ftp://ftp.u.washington.edu/public/asun/netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.0a9.tar.gz>
on my linux box and instead of calling up rc.atalk i just started the
afpd "by hand". I can connect from my my via IP just fine...

so that brings something up in my brain:

what about having a compile option that disables the appletalk option
and "leaves" the ip option in, that would allow us to run netatalk on
many, many more different unixes 'cause there wouldn't be any
"kernel-stuff" to port?!?

hmm, just a suggestion,
tc

---

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 06:43:59 -0700 (PDT)

there's the somewhat secret "afpd -D" which disables the appletalk
stuff at run-time. actually, my patches will disable appletalk if it
can't set it up correctly. is that good enough?

-a

---

From: "Thies C. Arntzen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 15:58:52 +0200 (CEST)

> can't set it up correctly. is that good enough?

hi,
hmm, not really...;-) 'cause it would be far nicer to be able to
disableit at compile time.. 

i'd like to run it on platforms that aren't supported (hp-ux, aix...), and
i believe that a port will be far easier when we can disable all the
appletalk stuff while compiling..

the perfect thing would be to have an afpd (and maybe papd?!?!) that can
be configured and compiled using gnu's configure style build...

so far makefiles were allright, cause netatalk HAD TO be ported "by hand"
due to the kernel stuff, but without appletalk??

regards,
ct

Thies C. Arntzen                 "One Big-Mac, Small Fries and a Coke!"
Digital Collections             Phone +49 40 235350 Fax +49 40 23535192
Hammerbrookstr. 93                              20097 Hamburg / Germany

---

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 06:58:09 -0700 (PDT)

hmm, it shouldn't be difficult to compile a version of afpd which
actually can't run over appletalk on a generic machine. anyways, it's
simple enough to add #ifdef's around relevant code. all the appletalk
code is either included in main.c or afp_asp.c.

actually, configure would be a great idea that i've always thought
should be done. is anyone willing to make up a patch to do that? wes?

well, the current strategy makes some files extremely ugly. 

-a

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 10:37:14 -0400

> From:    a sun <[email-masked]>
> To:      [email-masked]

> should be done. is anyone willing to make up a patch to do that? wes?

The point of GNU configure is mostly to allow users to run a program
which will edit files that they would otherwise have to edit by hand.
That's (mostly) not the case in netatalk, so I don't see the point.

> well, the current strategy makes some files extremely ugly. 

Most of the machine-specific code in the netatalk package is isolated.
Outside of the kernel, there's not much, as it's all been changed to
use posix calls, where they are available.

Before adding Solaris (which wasn't done very cleanly) there were three
#ifdef's related to specific machines, one in main.c for ultrix old
style openlog(), one in auth.c for ultrix groups, and a bunch in
unix.c, since every flavor of unix has it's own way of getting the free
space on a disk, and getting quotas.

:wes