Subject: [netatalk-admins] papd and file size/multiple documents

From: Nicholas Riley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 22:07:02 -0400 (EDT)

Hi. I'm attempting to set up papd under netatalk 1.4b2 with NetBSD,
printing to a local NEC Silentwriter 95f (postscript) via a serial
connection. Everything else worked great and on the first try - the
install and even afpd with AFP/IP support. I already had unix-side
printing working prior to installing netatalk, via a text->postscript
filter, which I have preserved (papd doesn't seem to mind).

Printing one file at a time from MacOS works fine. This is a great
improvement over CAP's lwsrv8, which after weeks of trying I couldn't get
to do anything in this situation. But the following doesn't work (bar is
a text file):

[print request from MacOS, netatalk does its stuff, printer displays
PROCESSING/WAITING/PROCESSING/etc. While this is happening, I do: ]
{sabi#ttyp0@roadrunner:76} 9:28pm ~>lpr bar
{sabi#ttyp0@roadrunner:77} 9:29pm ~>lpq
lp is ready and printing
Rank   Owner      Job  Files                                 Total Size
active nobody     22   Received                              128357 bytes
1st    sabi       23   bar                                   210 bytes
[printer: PROCESSING/WAITING/PROCESSING/.../PROCESSING/WAITING]
{sabi#ttyp0@roadrunner:79} 9:30pm ~>lpq
no entries
[printer continues to display WAITING for >5 minutes until I manually
abort the job from the printer control panel. Nothing is printed.]

So I think "oh, it must be the file size!". I print something smaller:

{sabi#ttyp0@roadrunner:98} 9:58pm ~>lpq
lp is ready and printing
Rank   Owner      Job  Files                                 Total Size
active nobody     27   Untitled                              9120 bytes
1st    sabi       28   bar                                   210 bytes
[printer: PROCESSING/PRINTING/PROCESSING/PRINTING/WAITING and prints both 
documents]
{sabi#ttyp0@roadrunner:99} 9:58pm ~>lpq
no entries
[printer continues to display WAITING. Meanwhile, no jobs are accepted
until I manually cancel.]

Here's the relevant part of /etc/printcap:

lp|Silentwriter 95f:\
        :lp=/dev/tty00:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
        :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:\
        :af=/var/log/lpd.acct:\
        :if=/usr/local/lib/lprps/psif:\
        :br#19200:mx#0:sf:rw:sh:sb:\
        :ms=opost,onlcr,cs8,-parenb:

and /usr/local/atalk/etc/papd.conf:

dicer:\
        :pr=lp:op=nobody:pd=/usr/local/atalk/etc/nc95fax1.ppd:

According to the printer, serial settings are as follows:
RS422, 19200/8N1, wait timeout 44 sec.

Is this a problem with the printer? with papd? with lprps? with lpd? in my
configuration of any of the above? Anyone experienced anything like it or
know how to get around it? If you need more information about my
configuration, please ask. 

Thanks,

--
Nicholas Riley <[email-masked]>