Subject: [netatalk-admins] [ANNOUNCE] MacIP Gateway for FreeBSD - 1st beta release

From: Stefan Bethke <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 18:35:42 +0200

This is the first beta release of macipgw, a MacIP gateway for FreeBSD,
available for downlooad from
http://www.promo.de/pub/people/stefan/netatalk/macipgw-1.0b1.tar.gz or
ftp://ftp.promo.de/pub/people/stefan/netatalk/macipgw-1.0b1.tar.gz

MacIP is a protocol that allows the encapsulation of IP packets in AppleTalk
packets, thus allowing Macs connected through an AppleTalk-only network
(such as LocalTalk or Apple Remote Access) to use TCP/IP-based services.

To use macipgw, you need FreeBSD 2.1.5 or newer with AppleTalk kernel
patches (see ftp://ftp.promo.de/pub/people/stefan/netatalk/) or FreeBSD
2.2.1 or
newer.

Also, you'll need one tunnel device for macipgw, see tun(4) for details.

Please direct questions, comments, diffs to <[email-masked]>.

--
Stefan Bethke
Promo Datentechnik      |  Tel. +49-40-851744-0
+ Systemberatung GmbH   |  Fax. +49-40-851744-44
Eduardstrasse 46-48     |  e-mail: [email-masked]
D-20257 Hamburg         |  http://www.Promo.DE/

---

From: Stefan Bethke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 11:06:46 +0200

Yep, so much for "release engineering"...

ABOUT MACIPGW
=============

This is the 2nd beta release of macipgw, a MacIP gateway for FreeBSD.

MacIP is a protocol that allows the encapsulation of IP packets in AppleTalk
packets, thus allowing Macs connected through an AppleTalk-only network
(such as LocalTalk or Appe Remote Access) to use TCP/IP-based services.

To use macipgw, you need FreeBSD 2.1.5 or newer with AppleTalk kernel
patches (see ftp://ftp.promo.de/people/stefan/netatalk/) or FreeBSD 2.2.1 or
newer. Also, you'll need to install netatalk 1.4b2 or later.

The latest beta version of macipgw can be found at
ftp://ftp.promo.de/pub/people/stefan/netatalk/
http://www.promo.de/pub/people/stefan/netatalk/

July 22, 1997, Stefan Bethke

WHATS NEW
=========

New in 1.0b2:
- Fixed a compiler warning in macip.c
- -z zone now does what it is supposed to do
- now works correctly if there are no zones

The whole idea of the gateway being a router and handling ICMP is crap; it
will be removed in a later release.

INSTALLING
==========

A `make depend all install' as root should work.

If you have installed the netatalk include files (atalk) neither in
/usr/include nor in /usr/local/include, adapt the Makefile appropiatly.

Please see the man page macipgw(8) for details on how to start macipgw.

Cheers, Stefan