Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Changing passwords?

From: Mario Klebsch DG1AM <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 08:16:31 +0200

>I think part of the problem with implementing password changing with
>netatalk is that root permissions are needed to modify /etc/passwd. I
>think the easiest way around this would be for the user's afpd process to
>make a call to rpc.yppasswdd.

What about executing passwd with expect? Expect does execute a command
(like popen), but uses a pseudo tty, so passwd does find its /dev/tty
for reading the password.

73, Mario
-- 
Mario Klebsch, DG1AM, [email-masked]		+49 531 / 391 - 7457
Institut fuer Robotik und Prozessinformatik der TU Braunschweig
Hamburger Strasse 267, 38114 Braunschweig, Germany

---

From: Edan Idzerda <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 11:56:31 -0400 (EDT)

> Or, failing that, of any way to change passwords that doesn't require a
> telnet login?
> 
> I know about popassd but haven't found a current version since it no longer
> seems to be on the Qualcomm website where it used to be and the version at
> Northwestern (circa 1993) won't compile on SPARC Linux, though I confess
> that I haven't played around with it that much.  Is there a newer one?

I got a version of poppassd off the Qualcomm FTP site.  The Eudora README
had the location wrong.

    ftp.qualcomm.com/eudora/servers/unix/password

I'm currently testing/using the poppasswd that was in the solaris-2.tar
file.  There are a number of other files in there that all seem to 
do approximately the same thing... your mileage may vary.

Sure, there are security concerns, like, "Now someone can just snoop that
port and grab new passwords!"  But, *sigh*, someone can just snoop the
POP3 port and grab passwords, so... *sigh*

The above program from solaris-2.tar works pretty well for me,
compiled on a SPARC 4 running Solaris 2.5.

- edan

--
Edan Idzerda	<[email-masked]>
System Administrator --  Michigan Technological University, Houghton MI USA