Subject: AFP 2.2 Rev8

From: Bernard Becker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 10:05:38 -0400

Apple has recently finished beta testing AppleShare IP 5.0, our new
AppleShare file server implementation.

The new AppleShare Client 3.7 supports AFP over IP.
Users can log onto older servers in the traditional method and communicate
via AppleTalk, or connect to a new server that supports afp 2.2 rev 8 and
as part of the negotiated login the server and client agree to talk via IP.

This allows for connections to remote servers across the internet and
across LAN's where the IS dept refuses to route AppleTalk.

If  AppleTalk is available the Servers show up in the chooser using NBP. If
AppleTalk in not available there is a dialogue box for entering the IP
address or name of the remote server.

Details on the technology can be found at:
http://appleshareip.apple.com/appleshareip/text/technology.html

Details on the afp 2.2 rev 8 spec are at:
http://appleshareip.apple.com/appleshareip/text/afp2.2specificationv8.hqx

Are there any plans from the developers and maintainers to incorporate this
new spec into netatalk?

+  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +
+  +
    Bernard Becker, Sr. Systems Engineer, Apple Canada <[email-masked]>
 Apple Network Managers Assoc. Ontario, Prez. <http://www.signat.org/signat/>
 If you're absurdly interested in my life: <http://www.proxy.com/resume.html>
                 Life's too short to do DOS support.

---

From: "Michael M. Freeman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 10:57:20 -0400 (EDT)

> AppleShare file server implementation.
[BIG SNIP] 
> Are there any plans from the developers and maintainers to incorporate this
Greetings Bernard,
	There are actually two "unofficial" implementations of
AFP-over-TCP for netatalk. One is the "netatalk-2.0a6" distribution from
Adrian Sun of washington.edu and the other is my more modest
"afptcpd-0.1a3" distribution.  The "netatalk-2.0a6" dist. is a major
revision of 1.4b2 that incorporates AFP 2.2 (including AFP-over-TCP) into
afpd. The "afptcpd" dist. is an add-on (separate daemon) to 1.4b2. Both
run under Linux 2.0.x/2.1.x and SunOS 4.1.x. ARGGGG Pager just went off.
To be continued......

						Mike Freeman

---

From: "Povl H. Pedersen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 16:57:11 +0200

>Are there any plans from the developers and maintainers to incorporate this

I would say it would be a VERY GOOD thing to have. I want AppleShare routing.

And doing it over IP allows us to make a derivate product (I think we
should make NetAtalk IP independent, or a compile option) that is
completely kernel independent. All it needs is to be started out of inetd
or started by a root suid dispatcher (it uses port 548).

I have not looked much at the netatalk code, so I am not the right one to
ask about all this. But it is my guess, that it is only a few things in the
network end that should be modified, and you can drop all the kernel
appletalk support. I think this sounds great.

Looking at the standard, it looks good, as it allows multiple outstanding
requests at any time, and of course the larger MTU.

---
Povl H. Pedersen                                   NetGuide Scandinavia AB
Phone: +45 8618 1823    Cellular: +45 4093 5511    Fax:   +45 8612 4680
Homepage: http://www.netguide.dk/~pope / e-mail: mailto:[email-masked]
Macintosh/UNIX/Windows specialist. Microsoft Certified Professional