Subject: [netatalk-admins] is netatalk compatable with linux 2.30???

From: Chuck Pierce <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 97 20:17:12 -0500

has anyone there gotten netatalk to print to a hp localtalk printer (the 
660c to be exact)... I have it sitting on a localtalk to ether talk 
router on my local zone... I have appletalk turned on in the kernal, but 
don't know really where to go from there... thanks Chuck

---

From: Steve Hsieh <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 01:36:46 -0400 (EDT)

Anyone out there using pap to connect to an epson stylus color 800 inket
with the localtalk interface?  It would seem that this particular printer
doesn't work too well with pap.  When you send a job, data flows very
slowly, and pap isn't able to disconnect when done (there is no way to get
out of a pap -pprinter:EPSONLQ2@ZONE once you start reading from stdin).
Even if you use the -E option, it says "Bad response".  If you terminate
pap with ctrl-c, the epson will remain busy forever until you pull its
power plug and plug it back in (the power switch doesn't reset the
interface). 

While the printer may not conform to all the standards, it does seem to
work fine with the Macintosh epson appletalk driver, so it seems possible
that netatalk could work with it if someone knew what was going on...

(We have no problem with regular laser printers or even HP inkjets..)

---

From: Mike Holling <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 10:40:46 -0400 (EDT)

> that netatalk could work with it if someone knew what was going on...

I've had this printer working fine together with Ghostscript.  I can
probably dig up the configuration files if you'd like.  The supplied Epson
drivers still ran faster and produced better output, so the
netatalk/ghostscript solution was never put into production.  The printer
was connected to the parallel port of a 486/66 running FreeBSD and
netatalk.

- Mike

---

From: Steve Hsieh <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 01:54:37 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks for the reply, Mike.  But it sounds as if you are talking about
using papd to advertise the epson printer, which you sent data to over
the parallel port?  (I can send Ps->ghostscript->epson parallel port just
fine).

I'm trying to go the opposite direction, namely 

   unix/netatalk/pap -> ethertalk -> localtalk bridge -> epson w/localtalk 
                                                            interface

If you were able to do the latter, I'd definitely be interested in your
setup.  For me, 'pap -pEpsonprinter:EPSONLQ2@ZONE datafile' results in
really messed up output and a printer which gets stuck in status: busy
indefinitely.

--
Stephen Hsieh              Dept. of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
[email-masked]      Univ. of Michigan at Ann Arbor
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------