Subject: [netatalk-admins] Where is afp 2.2 spec?

From: David Foster <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 1997 12:17:26 -0500

Is the afp 2.2, afpovertcp specification publicly available someplace?  I've looked in the standard places (i.e., devworld.apple.com and appleshareip.apple.com) but can't find it.

Thanks,

David Foster
[email-masked]

---

From: Stefan Bethke <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 1997 22:24:12 +0100

At 18:17 Uhr +0100 03.11.1997, David Foster wrote:
>Is the afp 2.2, afpovertcp specification publicly available someplace?
>I've looked in the standard places (i.e., devworld.apple.com and
>appleshareip.apple.com) but can't find it.

Not too closely, I would think:
http://appleshareip.apple.com/appleshareip/text/pdf/afp_2.2_specification.pdf

The link is on http://appleshareip.apple.com/appleshareip/text/techinfo.html

Stefan

--
Stefan Bethke
Promo Datentechnik      |  Tel. +49-40-851744-0
+ Systemberatung GmbH   |  Fax. +49-40-851744-44
Eduardstrasse 46-48     |  e-mail: [email-masked]
D-20257 Hamburg         |  http://www.Promo.DE/

---

From: Jeff Wiegley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 1997 14:31:59 -0800

Darn it! Netatalk will *not* work properly on my server!

I have:
   Linux kernel 2.0.29 + ISS patches for TCP improvements
   latest version of DEC tulip driver for my SMC EtherPower 10/100 card.
   netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.0a17
   CONFIG_IP_MULTICAST=y

everything is up and running almost correctly...

Mac users can see and use the directories provided by netatalk so file
sharing seems to be working perfectly.

my problem is this:

[server prompt]# getzones
atp_rresp: Connection timed out

and

[server prompt]# nbplkup
           everclear:AFPServer                          65280.115:130
           everclear:LaserWriter                        65280.115:128
           everclear:netatalk                           65280.115:4
           everclear:Workstation                        65280.115:4

why does my netatalk server fail to see *all* the other appletalk
objects?

there are at least three printers and two other appletalk servers that
should show up but don't.

I've talked to Donald Becker about the multicasting with the tulip
drivers
and he says that multicasting in the newest tulip drivers is 100%
reliable
now and indicates that most probably the problem lies with netatalk and
not the tulip driver.

PLEASE help me figure out what is wrong with my setup so I can get
printers
working.  But until I can actually see the printer object using nbplkup
I can't
even proceed to step 3 of the Netatalk Printing howto and I now have
something
like 20 people here at my office that thinks linux sucks because we
can't print
from it.

How can I better track down what is working incorrectly and fix it?

- Jeff Wiegley

---

From: Andrew Solmssen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 1997 16:08:32 -0800 (PST)

Jeff - These symptoms are very similar to the ones I was having, although
I have a 3com 3c905 card.  I solved this by changing the one seed router
(a Shiva LanRover) on my net to seed a net range of 10000-10010 instead of
10000-10000.  Do you have any kind of Appletalk router on your net?  What
net ranges are you using?

---- Andrew

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Andrew Solmssen                              Network Manager
[email-masked]                       Metron, Inc.
619-792-8904                                 512 Via de la Valle, Ste. 301    
619-792-2719 FAX                             Solana Beach, CA 92075

---

From: John Ostrowick <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 1997 07:33:35 +0200 (SAT)

ask leland wallace, [email-masked]. he gave it to me, so i'm sure he'll
give it to you.

________________________________________________________________
John Ostrowick                 [email-masked]
Computer Science Department,   University of the Witwatersrand
1 Jan Smuts Ave, Johannesburg, South Africa. Senate House 1012
Phone: +27 11 716-3783         Fax: +27 11 339-3513
My web page: http://macaroni.cs.wits.ac.za/more/jon/aboutme.html
My ftp site: ftp://macaroni.cs.wits.ac.za
My listserv: http://macaroni.cs.wits.ac.za/listservs.html