Subject: [netatalk-admins] bsdi

From: [email-masked] (Daryl Campbell)
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 11:52:35 -0700 (MST)

We'd like to consider netatalk on a server running bsdi 3.x.

Has anybody successfully run netatalk-14b2 in this environment?

--
Daryl Campbell			        As I was going up the stair.	
Athabasca University		     I met a man who wasn't there.
				  He wasn't there again today -
[email-masked]	       Oh, how I wish he'd go away.
(403)675-6379					ANON

---

From: Chris Thorman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 12:09:08 -0800

Hi folks,

I am writing a netatalk-aware Linux-based CGI application that manipulates
files on the server.  (A simple image database application.)

I am interested in doing a couple of things that might be of general
interest and hence someone else might have done before.

Before I create these modules myself, I thought I should at least inquire
about these possibilities:

1) Extracting resources

Has anyone created a netatalk-aware resource manager (at least for reading)?

As an example, I'd like to extract custom color icons from a file and
display them on a CGI form.

2) Create .sit, .zip, or other Mac-readable archives

Does anyone know of netatalk-aware code to create these or other popular
Mac-friendly archive-file formats?

As an example, I'd like to write a program to convert a batch of files to
an archive format (and then possibly convert the archive itself to .hqx
using netatalk's megatron).

If I were to undertake writing these modules, would there be anyone
interested in helping?  Would you have relevant code or pointers to it to
contribute to the effort?  Is there anyone interested in this code if I do
write it?  Is something like this worth contributing back to netatalk?

-c

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chris Thorman                           [email-masked]
Ignition, Inc.                          (415) 392-6244 x3
870 Market Street                       (415) 392-6245 fax
San Francisco, CA 94102                 http://ignitiondesign.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Julian Elischer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 20:28:07 -0800 (PST)

That depends if they have the atalk stack in the kernel.
if not you might be able (with work) to take the stack from freeBSD or
NetBSD.