Subject: [netatalk-admins] AFP -- strange problems

From: Helge Münnich <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 1997 16:34:27 +0100

Hi,
I have posted a mail with a question about userrights on the afp-server
(we are using netatalk 1.4b2 on a linux (2.0.30) box with the
macos8-patch). But now I know this isn't the problem, so I will describe
it:
>From time to time on two of four net-segments the macs(7.5.3 and macos8)
can get files from the server but can't put files on it. On 7.5.3 it
looks like they copying the half file and then the process stops; on
macos8 it nearly completes before hanging around.On the server I can see
the file and the .AppleDouble. The weird is that sometimes the macs
complete their job after several minutes.
The filesharing between the macs works normal. So I think it must be the
server. After a reboot of the server (and the macs) it is ok for an
indefinite time(this can be weeks!!). In most times when the error
occures the syslog get the messages:

Dec  8 13:03:35 tuttle afpd[3318]: main: asp_getrequest: -2
Dec  8 13:03:54 tuttle afpd[3318]: afp_write: asp_wrtcont: Connection
timed out
Dec  8 13:06:07 tuttle afpd[3318]: main: asp_getrequest: -2
Dec  8 13:06:15 tuttle afpd[3318]: main: asp_getrequest: -2
Dec  8 13:07:30 tuttle afpd[3318]: main: asp_getrequest: -2
Dec  8 13:07:44 tuttle afpd[3318]: afp_write: asp_wrtcont: Connection
timed out

Can someone explain this behavior or the syslog messages??

I am really messed up on this.
Thanks and sorry for the terrible english.
-- 
[email-masked]			Helge Münnich
Tel.: +49 761 290035			Schauinslandstr. 26c 
Fax : +49 761 290034			D-79100 Freiburg

---

From: [email-masked] (John Sutton)
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 1997 18:52:22 +0000

What version AppleShare client are you using?  Apparently there are some
subtle problems with 3.7.1.  If you are using that, try upgrading to 3.7.2.
Probably that won't fix your problem, but it's worth doing anyway!  Also,
I'd try posting your problem to the Linux-Atalk list because it _might_ be
Linux specific...

>Thanks and sorry for the terrible english.

***********************
John Sutton
SCL Computer Services
http://www.scl.co.uk
Tel +44 (0) 1239 621021
***********************