Subject: [netatalk-admins] Mac OS 8 and netatalk volumes--jumpy Finder windows

From: Michael May <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 14:48:31 -0700

I have seen this problem mentioned once or twice, but have seen no
response/solution. Perhaps it is rare? Anyway, here's the problem:

Under Mac OS 8, and linux netatalk 1.4b2, Finder windows displaying files
on a netatalk volume are "jumpy". The total number of files will show
correctly, then 10 sec later will briefly jump up about 20%, then back
down, and repeat every 10 secs or so... Some of the files are listed twice
when the total file number jumps up. These file "duplicates" then disappear
when the file number listing goes back to normal.

This behavior is seen on a 2GB netatalk volume with a total of several
thousand files. The root directory, however, has only 90 or so "items,"
which then jump up to about 110 items (the number can vary slightly) when
the problem occurs.

This problem never occured under OS 7.6. Also, a regular AppleShare volume
mounted on the same computer (Quadra 610) does not have the problem.

Any clues?

Mike

----------------------------
Michael May
San Francisco Estuary Institute
(510) 231-9539

---

From: Jamie Unwin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 1997 11:18:36 +0100

We are having the same problems with netatalk on Solaris.

>mounted on the same computer (Quadra 610) does not have the problem.

_______________________________________________
- Jamie Unwin                       Webmedia Ltd, 2 Kendall Place
- Web Developer                                         London, W1H 3AH
_______________________________________________
- [e] [email-masked]                    [t] (0171) 224 7244
- [w] http://www.webmedia.com           [f] (0171) 224 7049
_______________________________________________