Subject: Defining zones

From: "Yannai A. Gonczarowski" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 17:41:58 +0300

Hi,
I'm using a SunOS 4.1.4 machine, with netatalk 1.4b2 (no afs), connected
to a non-power macintosh with MacOS 7.1, file sharing works okay.
When I try to define a zone in the atalkd.conf file, even when using the
-seed option, atalkd  removes the -zone.
My atalkd.conf looks like this:

le0 -seed -phase 2 -net 0-65534 -addr 65280.55 -zone "myzone"

after restarting atalkd, it looks like this:

le0 -seed -phase 2 -net 0-65534 -addr 65280.55

When I try to define a zone in my mac, I double-click on the Network
Control panel, then on the ethertalk phase 2 icon, and get an error
message: "You can not choose a zone at this time because no internet
router is available".

There must be a way to define a zone for these two machines to use, does
someone know how to do it?

Thanks in advance,
Yannai.

--
Yannai A. Gonczarowski     System Administrator    
[email-masked]
The Hebrew University High School     
http://www.leyada.jlm.k12.il/~yannaigo/

"Do you want to know something? Everybody's human."
"I find that remark insulting."
  - Kirk and Spock, "Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered contry", stardate
9529.1

---

From: Gregor Retti <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 19:03:11 +0100

>someone know how to do it?

as far as I know, you cant define a zone on one network interface only! I
recently spent two days configuring two zones, because there was an
additional mac-based router connecting a localtalk-network (printers) to
the ethernet. this router was occasionally turn on and off and the other
machines (netatalk on linux and macs) did not like that very much. so I put
up a separete network-string with a second ethernet card in the linux box
and finally got the thing to work stable.

greetings
gregor

---

From: Paul Wilkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 11:14:36 +1000 (EST)

> le0 -seed -phase 2 -net 0-65534 -addr 65280.55 -zone "myzone"
                          ^^^^^^^
_Do_ _not_ _do_ _this_

This will make your ZIP messages HUGE. You only need 1 cable range, not 
65k. All those messages have to be processed by each mac host which is 
wasted load.

The reason netatalk is rewriting your atalkd.conf, is that you already 
have a router seeding the network. Netatalk will rewrite this file to 
agree with what it finds already seeded. If you want to change your zone 
information, you need to change it on ALL routers.

Paul

        TTT    M M M  PPP
         T     MMMMM  PPPP   
         T     M M M  P
                        
Disclaimer:
The views herein expressed do not necessarily reflect those of 
TMP Worldwide or its affiliated companies.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 02:06:22 -0400

> From:    "Yannai A. Gonczarowski" <[email-masked]>
> To:      Netatalk Admins Mailing List <[email-masked]>

> someone know how to do it?

Take a look at atalkd.  Look for the parts that mention "ninterfaces".
Those are the key points where atalkd is decided whether to act as a
router.  So, you should be able to add an additional command-line
set-able flag, like, "imarouter" to those locations and it should all
work magically.  At least in theory.  Tell us all how it works for ya.

:wes

---

From: Morio Taneda <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 01:31:36

Hi,

(To Yannai Gonzcaro)
>Take a look at atalkd.  Look for the parts that mention "ninterfaces".

PMYI, I did exactly that, in my atalkd-ppp, so it doesn't switch between
routing when a ppp interface is up and no routing when the ppp is down,
when i only have one ethernet interface. 

It didn't quite work on the ethernet side: usually the mac would notice 
the zones when i switch to ethertalk in the network control panel but 
drop the zones pretty soon and ignore them.

I haven't looked into it very much. Might be this: don't i have to 
send a route list with each zone about which tell a segment? With one
interface, that
route list would be empty, which could be flagged as an error by other
nodes. In this case the better quick hack (for linux) would be to 
configure an interface with the dummy device.

Morio

Morio Taneda