Subject: [netatalk-admins] User account & Apps from same server?

From: John Barry -Technician <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 97 10:49:32 BST

Hi folks,
My name is John Barry, I'm a Unix Network Administrator at the University of
Teesside, Middlesbrough, England. I'm happily running Netatalk 1.4b2 on a
Sun Sparcstation 1 running SunOS 4.1.4. My Macs are 6100/60's with 16MB and
MacOS 7.5.5, Open Transport 1.1.2 and MacLogin. The Macs boot to a Unix login
prompt, and then drop to the finder with the user account mounted as their
userID on the desktop. I'm able to print to both SPARCprinters and HPlaserjets
on the Unix network via the chooser, and to the lab lineprinter (Epson EX800)
through a special printcap entry via ghostscript. My only real niggles about
all this are that I can't print the users account name on the header pages, and
that Simpletext, tabs and ghostscript (4.03) just don't get on....
I'll happily explain to anybody how all this works if required.

Right enough about me & mine, on with the problem:
I need some way of mounting both the users files and an application server at
startup, after authenticating against the Unix NIS server. currently I'm doing
this with MacLogin. Using the appleshare extension I can authenticate and mount
the users account but not the Apps server. Using the TCP/IP extension I can 
authenticate against FTP and mount the Apps server via appleshare but not the 
users account. does anybody know of a package or a method that will allow me to
do both?

cheers,
jb
<[email-masked]>