Subject: [netatalk-admins] An alias workaround

From: Michael May <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 14:19:34 -0700

Here's something people can do until netatalk supports aliases.
(Currently, unmounting and remounting a volume causes aliases to
break.) Not a great solution, but some of you may find it useful: make
an AppleScript application which acts like an alias. Here's a sample
script:

<bold><fontfamily><param>Geneva</param><bigger>tell</bigger></fontfamily></bold><fontfamily><param>Geneva</param><bigger>
application "Finder"

	activate

	open folder "My Folder" <bold>of</bold> folder "Staff" <bold>of</bold>
disk "Shared Drive"

<bold>end tell

</bold></bigger></fontfamily>Currently I just edit these scripts by
hand with Script Editor to create new "aliases" (I don't use many). 
One can probably set up a script which will, for example, allow you to
choose what the script opens by holding down the optionKey (if I write
such a script, I'll post it, but don't hold your breath.)

-Mike

----------------------------

Michael May

San Francisco Estuary Institute

(510) 231-9539