Subject: [netatalk-admins] Asun's tcp patches

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 11:39:30 -0700 (PDT)

After months of successful 1.4b2 running I tried the latest (as of
Sunday) patches. This is on Sparc Solaris 2.5.1.

Result: big speed improvement copying large files, speed tripled to
800K per second (on 10Mb net). Not so sure about small files, needs
more testing.

The downside: when the client reboots, I get the reconnect to server
dialog box - there are two scenarios here "too many connections" means
that the afpd master process needs to be killed, or "can't contact server"
means the afpd has died. The second is easily cured by a while loop around
afpd, the first is more difficult. I have seen many complaints about the
dying server scenario before, but I had never experienced it.

Obviously if I can't get the server to behave I'll have to go back to 1.4b2
for the time being. I have afpd running -d, but what am I looking for ?
I have seen afpd logout in /var/adm/messages, so that looked like a clean
exit from afpd, but still the next connection fails.
-- 
                                     John