Subject: Re: Problems with installation

From: Jesse Swensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 20:10:05 -0400

In an earlier message I wrote:

>I am trying to install netatalk14b2 on NetBSD running on a Macintosh
>SE/30.  I have been able to compile and install, but when I run rc.atalk I
>get an error:
>
>bind: Can't assign requested address
>
>I am at a loss as what to look for and/or where.  Any ideas?

I have continued trying to hunt down the problem.  It seems that the
address it can not bind to is the ethernet card.  If I run the rc.atalk
before running netstart, it at least doesn't give me the above error.  It
just give me a usage error instead.

Usage: nbprgstr obj:type@zone

It would make sense to start the network stuff first before setting up
netatalk.  Suggestions???

Jesse

___________________________________________________________________

Jesse Swensen        111 Vashon CT.       (919) 481-3480 (home)
[email-masked]       Cary, NC  27513      (919) 481-3363 (FAX)

       "Intel Inside" The worlds most used warning label.
___________________________________________________________________

---

From: Bill Studenmund <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 1997 15:56:50 -0700 (PDT)

> It would make sense to start the network stuff first before setting up

I'm confused. What name, exactly, is being registered, and what address?

atalkd is up at this point? Are you using 1.2, the April snapshot, or
-current (I know you've already told me, but I've forgotten)?

Take care,

Bill

---

From: Matthew G Newcomb <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 1997 19:23:57 -0400 (EDT)

G'day,
    The bind error mentioned makes me suspect that your kernel does not
have appletalk support.  At least that's the error I get when I
mistakenly forget to compile in appletalk support.
                                                    Matt

"Yes, let me guess.  My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I
never answer letters, and you don't like my tie." 7th Doctor

---

From: Jesse Swensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 1997 19:35:39 -0400

>-current (I know you've already told me, but I've forgotten)?

I am using the -current from about the first of the month.  Then problem it
seems is you have to be running atalkd BEFORE it will work.  I just don't
understand...;-)

After seeing that atalkd was not running and put it in the appropriate
place, everything is working fine.

I then put the call to rc.atalk in the rc.local script.  It runs just fine
AFTER netstart.

Thanks again for your help.
Jesse

---

From: Jesse Swensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 1997 19:44:26 -0400

>mistakenly forget to compile in appletalk support.

Ya, Ya, Ya....  as mentioned in a previous message, I had not copied atalkd
to the /usr/local/atalk/etc directory.  Once I did, things began to work.
Go figure...;-)

Thanks for the help....
Jesse

---

From: andrew watson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 00:10:58 -0500

>-current (I know you've already told me, but I've forgotten)?

i have the same problem with 1.4b2 on a redhat linux box.  i have tried all
kinds of things to get netatalk working but none of them hav worked all i
get is
bind: Can't assign requested address
anybody know what might be going on?  it's an old ethernet card, but not
that old.  thanks,

andrew watson

       System Administrator
Interactive Distance Learning @ FSU
mailto:[email-masked]
http://idl.fsu.edu       http://idl2.fsu.edu
http://www.gleep.org
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

---

From: Jesse Swensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 06:53:07 -0400

>anybody know what might be going on?  it's an old ethernet card, but not

In my case, the make install did not copy atalkd to the correct directory.
I had to move it by hand.  Once I did that this error message went away and
things worked great.

Jesse