Subject: [netatalk-admins] Dial on Demand

From: [email-masked] (root)
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 1997 08:48:58 +0100

We run a Linux box as a router for the entire company. If anybody
wants to surf in the net, the Linux box autmatically starts a
ppp-connection to the internet (via /sbin/request-route).
My question: how can I determine which workstation wants to go
online.
We use almost Macs as clients and the Linux box establishes a
modem connection to the provider.
It would be great if anybody could give me a hint.

Thanks in advance

Jann Wegner
Insitut fuer Demoskopie
78476 Allensbach
eMail: [email-masked]

---

From: Gregor Retti <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 1997 10:20:43 +0100

>It would be great if anybody could give me a hint.

This has nothing to do with netatalk. I assume you are connecting to net
thru a firewall. If so you may want to check out the options for
IP-accounting.

hope this helps
gregor

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
 gregor retti ----------- http://germanistik.uibk.ac.at/germ/retti.html
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Patrick Scott Pierce <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 1997 08:40:03 -0500 (EST)

I have five macs utilizing file sharing through a linux box using
netatalk.  Whenever someone attempts to save a photoshop file directly to
a mount their mac crashes.  

Any hints or places to start to look.  The mac networking is kind of an
afterthought for me so I am not even sure what to look for.  I can find
nothing in the kernel logs and the network traffic appears ok.  I did hack
the code a while back to adjust or increase some of the buffering.  That
was actually in the hopes of stopping this same difficulty. 

It happens about 50% of the time they attempt to save from photoshop.  I
put in a new pci ethernet card in the hopes of resolving the issue but now
I think it may be a configuration issue.

Patrick Scott Pierce
[email-masked]
CGI Programming
Mindspring Enterprises