Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] token-ring

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 97 18:56:21 CDT

Dear Ian, Brian, and netatalk-admins,

   Thanks you for sharing your knowledge.  I took Ian's advice 
and, sure enough, /etc/services was missing the four ddp entries.  
However, while that made the "Unknown service" message go away, 
appletalk still doesn't work on this computer.  In the meantime, 
I also:

 - recompiled my kernel (still linux 2.0.30) with ddp built in (as 
   opposed to being a loadable module); still no good.

 - followed Brian's lead and installed an ethernet card to see 
   whether it's a token-ring support issue; still no good (both 
   eth0 and tr0 work with IP, but neither works with ddp).

   The state it's in now is that 'getzones' gives the message (after 
a while) "atp_resp: Connection timed out"; 'atalkd' gives an immediate 
"AppleTalk not up! Child exited with 1.", and 'ifconfig tr0 ddp up;
ifconfig eth0 ddp up; ifconfig' shows no change in the interface (it
doesn't look like ddp comes up at all, although neither of the first
two ifconfigs give any error).  This happens whether my /etc/atalkd.conf 
looks like

	tr0
	eth0

or like

	tr0 -phase 2 -net 1-10 -addr 1.222
	eth0 -phase 2 -net 9000-9099 -addr 9000.222

Anyone have any further ideas on this?  I really appreciate it --
thanks!

	   -- Mark

Ian Cameron wrote:
>>    - 'getzones' gives "Unknown service."
>
>Do you have the correct entries in /etc/services ?
>
>rtmp   1/ddp   # Routing Table Maintenance Protocol
>nbp   2/ddp   # Name Binding Protocol
>echo   4/ddp   # AppleTalk Echo Protocol
>zip   6/ddp   # Zone Information Protocol
>
>I found when trying to run netatalk on a RedHat Intel box using a 
>binary RPM that /etc/services did not contain the correct entries and 
>the RPM did not update them either, which resulted in an "Unknown 
>service." error from getzones.
>
>Hope this helps some.

Thanks!

>Cheers, Ian.

Mark Tomory
Carthage College

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 21:07:02 -0400

> From:    [email-masked]
> To:      <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>,
	   <[email-masked]>

> "AppleTalk not up! Child exited with 1."

This error message should read, "AppleTalk not up!  See your system log
for details."

:wes