Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] how to identify a machine by its number?

From: Tom Watson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 1997 13:07:31 -0800

Many people have discussed methods for finding out how to find a particular 
user, given an AppleTalk address (zone/node).  If you go back a ways, there is 
a tool that Apple provided called "InterPoll" which can tall anyone who has a 
Mac connected to the network the things that respond to NBP.  The version I've 
used (version 1.0.1, dated in 1989) works quite well with OS version 7.6.1, 
using open transport (I assume it would work in Mac OS 8).

I don't know how available it is publically, but it was a fairly common tool 
used back in those days.  Before version 7 of MacOS, you needed 'responder' to 
publish the name of the Mac (now displayed in Sharing Setup).

I'd provide a copy, it isn't that large, but I'm unsure of the copying 
restrictions, or how this list would accept a binary posting.  The program 
itself isn't that big (130k).
----
Tom Watson            Generic short signature
[email-masked]   (home:  [email-masked])

---

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 1997 13:19:58 -0800 (PST)

right now apple has a spiffy utility called netscan that actually runs
around and creates a database of your appletalk network. i haven't
fiddled with it that much as it seems to want a zoned appletalk
network, but it might prove useful to those who want to keep track of
the various appletalked machines on their network.

-a

---

From: Andrew Solmssen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 1997 13:26:42 -0800 (PST)

I'm fairly certain that this is copyrighted and not publicly
distributable.  However, there is a shareware piece on InfoMac called
Trawl that does much the same thing, and is distributable.

---- Andrew