Subject: [netatalk-admins] Read-Only mounting and User Forcing (patch suggestion(?))

From: "Yannai A. Gonczarowski" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 1997 19:15:06 +0300

I know it isn't possible to mount a share read-only (like in nfs, or
smb), or to force privilages of a specific user, when another user is
connected (even if you are connected as user <mrx>, your privilages will
be those of <anotheruser> when connecting to a specific share).
The former should not be too hard to do, the latter, is a little risky,
so will only be allowed to be used in global AppleVolumes files, and not
in user-specific files.
Does anyone who knows the source-code parts of file-privilages, have an
idea of which is easier to do (probably the first), or how to do it
(what to change in the source)?
I suggest that another optional field will be added to the AppleVolumes
files, replacing (quote from man page):
pathname [ volumename ]
.extension [ type [ creator ] ]

with:
pathname [ volumename ] [ ro ]
.extension [ type [ creator ] ]

Any ideas on how to do that? (I know c, although I really do not know
the source code, and appletalk).

Bye,
Yannai.

--
Yannai A. Gonczarowski     System Administrator    
[email-masked]
The Hebrew University High School     
http://www.leyada.jlm.k12.il/~yannaigo/

"Do you want to know something? Everybody's human."
"I find that remark insulting."
  - Kirk and Spock, "Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered contry", stardate
9529.1