Subject: [netatalk-admins] netatalk CDROM server problems

From: Marc Heckmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 1997 15:21:19 -0400 (EDT)

Hi all,

	I`m trying to setup a RedHat Linux 4.1 machine as a CDROM server
for Mac's using netatalk. The macs can see the CD's and access them,
except that when  try to access a file I get the massage "Cannot associate
application to file type" or a similar message. The CD's I am using are
Macintosh HFS CD's (mounted using the HFS kernel module). Does anyone know
the solution to this or how to get around this problem. Thanks in advance.

	Marc Heckmann

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 1997 13:20:07 +0200 (MET DST)

> the solution to this or how to get around this problem. Thanks in advance.

How do you mount the CD (mount-options! Use fork=netatalk!)? Where do you 
get the message? Linux or Mac? Do you use EasyOpen? Probably misconfigured?
Please supply more Information!

:wq! PoC

---

From: Marc Heckmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 1997 09:11:02 -0400 (EDT)

> Please supply more Information!
Hi,

I don't use the fork=netatalk option and I get the message on the Macs. I
haqve never heard of easy open.. I also have a comprehensive File map in
my AppleVolumes.system. Thanks.

	Marc Heckmann

---

From: Alistair Riddell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 1997 22:26:39 +0100 (BST)

> my AppleVolumes.system. Thanks.

I think that if you mount the CD with "-o afpd" in the mount command line
then that will help. This makes the hfs module present the CD in such a
way that netatalk's afpd can understand the resource forks and other
macintoshy things.

--
Alistair Riddell - BOFH
IT Support Department, George Watson's College, Edinburgh
Tel: +44 131 447 7931 Ext 176       Fax: +44 131 452 8594