Subject: Netatalk 1.4b2 on Solaris 2.5.1 Panics

From: Matt Elliott <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 12:45:28 -0500

I've installed netatalk 1.4b2 on a Ultra Sparc running Solaris 2.5.1.  I
have AFS installed and after running the netatalk daemons the server panics
some time during the next 8 hours.  Has anyone had a similar experience?
Without netatalk running the server has been up for 86days.

Matt <mailto:[email-masked]>

---

From: Erdwing Coronado <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 14:21:10 -0400 (EDT)

That was my experience too. Because of another project I couldn't
do any follow up and decided to run the old version a few more months on my
trusty SPARC 10.

_______________________________________________________________________________
Erdwing Coronado                                             [email-masked]
_______________________________________________________________________________

---

From: Tim Rand <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 13:26:46 -0500

>Without netatalk running the server has been up for 86days.

I too have had the panic, but only when I try to stop the   atalkd.  If I avoid that step then my system does stay up.

---

From: [email-masked] (Hanno Foest)
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 03:54:59 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi,

> some time during the next 8 hours.  Has anyone had a similar experience?

I remember kernel panics each reboot of our Ultra 2 (Solaris 2.5.1) for
some time. I found that the ddp.conf in /usr/kernel had been installed
with exectutable permissions - 755, as far as I remember. I didn't notice
any panics after changing them to 644 like the other .conf files are.

Hanno

---

From: Henrik Nordstrom <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 12:15:33 +0200

Yes, I had exactly the same problem when trying metatalk for a customer.
We had to use CAP instead (which seems rock solid, after some tuning and
a small but important bugfix to afpidsrvr).

---
Henrik Nordström