Subject: [netatalk-admins] Crashing solaris

From: Rob Butterworth <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 21:38:31 +0000

This might be a FAQ, but I'm a little desparate here.  I have two problems,
one of which is a real hassle for us.

The main problem is that our main file server has just died just as I tried
to stop and restart the netatalk demons.  I got a 'Data Fault' which I've
never seen before and the machine rebooted, or at least tried to.  Even
trying to go to single user mode it hangs before we get to a command prompt.

I've got someone rebuilding the machine from scratch now, but we're in two
minds as to whether to put netatalk back on there.  We're running 1.4b2,
BTW, as we have so many different versions of MacOS, I don't think 1.3.3 is
any use to us.

The second problem is that I have the users' home directories published as
'Users' so people can get to each other's files.  Every time someone
connects to this shared volume it take several minutes to build the
directory listing.  We suspect that netatalk is doing a stat on every
directory, of which there are many, and some of which are nfs mounted from
other machines.  Anyone else seen this and know of any way to stop it ?  We
have the same problem from our PC's using samba, but never used to have
this problem with our NT server.

Ta
Rob
--
Robert Butterworth
UK Systems Manager
Harlequin Ltd
[email-masked]