Subject: [netatalk-admins] lost filetypes when copied under UNIX

From: chris thoen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 1997 11:19:16 +0200

Hello,

I'm running a Linux fileserver with netatalk , and everything is
running  smoothly.
One big problem though  : when I copy my files from a MAC to the shared
disk on the Linux-system, the MACS recognize the right file type.  When
I copy files under Linux by cpio from one disk to another , all the
files are recognized on the MACS as UNIX text files (f.i.  photoshop
files).
Is therer not some rebuild function (like HELIOS has) to gather the
right info about the files?  The AppleVolumes.system file seems to work
only on files with a  file-extension.  Most files on a MAC don't have
this.

Has anybody some answer on this one please?

Thanks,

Chris 
-- 
Chris THOEN
Systeembeheerder Net it be
Posthoflei 3
2600  BERCHEM
tel	:	03/286.04.34
fax	:	03/286.04.70
email	:	[email-masked]
url	:	www.netit.be

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 13:33:21 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi,

> only on files with a  file-extension.  Most files on a MAC don't have

You'll have to copy the .AppleDouble Directory, too. Than you get the 
Information.

:wq! PoC

P.S.: It's Mac, not MAC.

---

From: Colin Eric Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 11:40:16 -0600 (MDT)

> You'll have to copy the .AppleDouble Directory, too. Than you get the 

The best bet would probably be to use some form of tar such that you can
retain ownership, permissions and get the *entire* directory including the
.AppleDouble directory. Something like:

tar cf - . | (cd <new directory path here>; tar xBf -)

do this from the directory that you want to move and then have cd move to
the directory that you want the stuff moved to.

taken from p.340 of _Unix Power Tools_ from O'Reilly.

> P.S.: It's Mac, not MAC.

Mac is short for Macintosh

MAC could be Machine Access(?) Code, otherwise known as the ethernet
address.

Colin E. Johnson | [email-masked] | http://www.unm.edu/~colinj/
Parker always felt things in his bones because, he said, it saved space.