Subject: [netatalk-admins] possible list merger

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 1997 21:30:12 -0500

"Does it make sense to merge linux-atalk into netatalk-admins?" 
is the question being posed to both lists.

Rob Newberry (maintainer of the l-a list) and I have talked this over, and 
found the key considerations to be:

() maintain an open forum for discussion of topics not related to netatalk, but
to probably-related issues, such as CAP, linux ppp issues, possible additions
to netatalk, wishes, etc.  With the recent changes we've made to the n-a list,
we have our own completely open forum (n-a), and set up netatalk-release for 
announcements to people who didn't want the large influx of netatalk mail.
Those who are/have been on the n-a list can attest that it is an open forum.
We have not (nor care to) squash any topic of conversation, even if it doesn't
have the word, "netatalk" necessarily in it.

() the l-a list gets mail from people running Solaris, AIX, and sundry others
inquiring about their platforms.  The n-a list gets mail plenty of Linux 
questions.  Both lists receive similar questions regarding issues of more 
general issues (say the macos8 problems, fixes, and patches, for instance).

() why *not* consolidate?  THey're both fairly low-traffic, or at least easy
to sort through, and as end-user of both of them, myself, I would find it less
mail to sort through than the current state.   In opening this discussion, I've
already heard of one person who didn't know of the existance of the n-a list.
The resources would be more concentrated.

() most of the netatalk code is available on all of the various ports.  The
greatest differences exist in kernel-level code (of course), and in hardware
differences, and slightly in config differences.  These don't seem 
overburdening in my mind to compile into one list.

() in regards to the possibility of a devel list, that would be a possibility,
if the need would arise.  I've not seen a tremendous amount of discussion in
this vein in my short time administering this list and reading l-a, but that
could change now that I've got my eyes out there.

The forum has already been opened for discussion on the linux-atalk list, and
I would further opening it up on the netatalk-admins list.  

Bare bones, we think:
Separate lists seem unnecessary in the current situation.  

EV
AN "netatalk-admins admin" [email-masked]

ps.  if you're unfamiliar with the n-a and n-r lists, check out:
    http://www.umich.edu/~rsug/netatalk/