Subject: How to kill and restart?

From: "David J. Leach, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 09:00:00 -0500

Is there a way to kill the netatalk processes and restart them without
requiring a reboot of the system? I ran across some documentation that
indicates this should be fixed with 1.4 but I haven't seen anything
about it in the release notes.

David Leach
-- 
================================================================
 David J. Leach, Jr. - Staff Programmer - Digital Ocean, Inc.
 email:  [email-masked] 
 web:    http://www.dosa.digocean.com/~dleach
 voice:  210.614.9283 x114        fax:  210.614.8192
================================================================

---

From: Thomas Lamy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 15:12:27 +0000

>about it in the release notes.

You simply can't kill off atalkd and restart it. With linux, this is possible by first killing all netatlk daemons, unloading the appletalk kernel module, reload it and restarting netatalk. Dunno how to do this on other systems.

Thomas

Thomas Lamy                    Vision Connect GmbH    Telefon: (089) 356256-35
Database Development Division  Taunusstraße 51        Telefax: (089) 356256-56
mailto:[email-masked]    80807 München          http://www.v-connect.com/

---

From: Julian Elischer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 07:35:19 -0700

> mailto:[email-masked]    80807 München          http://www.v-connect.com/

do a PS to detirmine the afpd parent process (it forks children)
then send it  a normal kill signal
it will shut down all it's children gracefully

If you send a SIGHUP
it gives them 10 minutes grace, and a popup appears on teh clients to
tell them
to log off.

once the afpds are down
then just send a kill signal to atalkd

it should clean up pretty well
(depending on your OS, it may do a better job on some)
then just restart it.

In FreeBSD ifconfig ,route and netstat know about 
netatalk so yu can clean up any thing that migh tbe left behind but
there
usuallyisn't much if anything.
then just restart atalkd and afpd as before..

---

From: K J MacDonald <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 15:59:18 +0100 (BST)

Linux kernels 2.1.4x don't need to have the appletalk module reloaded any 
more.  Many thanks to Alan Cox for this.  He says atalkd needs to be 
patched too, but doesn't remember the location for this patch.

Anyone know if it's in the latest releases?

Best wishes,

Kenny.

--
ADML Support, The University of Edinburgh.

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 19:02:56 +0200 (MET DST)

> about it in the release notes.

Under Linux, you'll have to ifconfig eth0 and lo both down and up with 
appropriate Parameters (full ifconfig syntax). This will do the job fine.

PoC

---

From: Kay Winkler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 19:57:23 +0200

> appropriate Parameters (full ifconfig syntax). This will do the job fine.

It works for me too. And nicely i put the ALT-CTRL-DEL on the 
script which drives the network down and restarts it imediately.
Quiet nice sysadmin and simple usage.

		Gruss
			Kay

Kay Winkler        Planckstrasse 1         D-64291 Darmstadt 
(49)6159/71-2551   Fax:(49)6159/71-2785     [email-masked]

---

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 11:37:40 -0700 (PDT)

as i'm the one that put in the patch for netatalk, i guess i should
speak up. the fixes are in my 2.0a8 sources. you can get them at
<ftp://ftp.u.washington.edu:/public/asun>. 2.1.43 should have the
fix. i've also included patches to 2.0.30 and 2.1.42 in sys/linux that
you can apply.

the patches add in SIOCATALKDIFADDR. you'll need to have a recent libc
(5.4.33 should work) or glibc to pick up /usr/include/netatalk/at.h.

-a