Subject: appletalk module?

From: "David J. Leach, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 1997 08:13:12 -0500

I'm trying to figure out how the appletalk module gets loaded on my
linux system. I do an 'lsmod' and get appletalk, 3c509, and lp. I've
been told that this means that appletalk support is being loaded as a
module instead of part of the kernel but I can't figure out how it gets
loaded. I've looked in the rc.Modules file and only the 3c509 is loaded
(I've also looked in many other files). I'm new at this so this may be a
dumb question but any help with helping me understand this would be much
appreciated.

David Leach
-- 
================================================================
 David J. Leach, Jr. - Staff Programmer - Digital Ocean, Inc.
 email:  [email-masked] 
 web:    http://www.dosa.digocean.com/~dleach
 voice:  210.614.9283 x114        fax:  210.614.8192
================================================================

---

From: Theo Van Dinter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 1997 10:18:24 -0400 (EDT)

> dumb question but any help with helping me understand this would be much

if you selected "autoloading of modules" during your kernel compile
configuration, and then (after it's all built) you try to access
appletalk, the module will be autoloaded.

-- 
 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Theo Van Dinter			www: http://www.kluge.net/~felicity/
 Secretary of WPI Lens and Lights               Junior Systems Administrator

                   IF IsStolen(Tagline) THEN Insult(Thief);
 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Fernan Rodriguez Cespedes <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 1997 11:13:12 -0300

>>>>> "David" == David J Leach, <[email-masked]> writes:

    David> I'm trying to figure out how the appletalk module gets
    David> loaded on my linux system. I do an 'lsmod' and get

	This is because new linux distributions come with kerneld
already installed. What this daemon does is load modules on demand,
transparently. Try 'ps -ax'to see it. For more info, read the kernel
documentation (/usr/src/linux/Documentation/Configure.help and
/usr/scr/linux/Documentation/modules.txt).

-- 

Saludos - Pastito

Save As                         Linux
http://www.saveas.com.ar        http://www.linux.com.ar
ftp://ftp.saveas.com.ar         ftp://ftp.linux.com.ar
[email-masked]           [email-masked]

---

From: Fernan Rodriguez Cespedes <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 1997 11:24:45 -0300

>>>>> "Theo" == Theo Van Dinter <[email-masked]> writes:

    Theo> if you selected "autoloading of modules" during your kernel
    Theo> compile configuration, and then (after it's all built) you
    Theo> try to access appletalk, the module will be autoloaded.

It is kerneld the program that autoloads modules in the kernel. Of
course the kernel must support this.

-- 

Saludos - Pastito

Save As                         Linux

---

From: "David J. Leach, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 1997 09:58:40 -0500

> /usr/scr/linux/Documentation/modules.txt).

Okay, I'm beginning to understand but it's still not clear to me how 
kerneld knew it needed to load appletalk.o? I can't find a conf.modules
file. Is the linux kernel configured to know it wants appletalk.o?

David Leach