Subject: [netatalk-admins] Problem under Linux 2.0.30

From: Ugo Delchini <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 1997 10:50:54 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi,

thanx for this software, it is very usefull.

I installed netatalk under Linux 2.0.30 on two LANs.

The first one has only one old Mac II and everything works fine, i can mount
volumes on the Mac II (system 7.5.5).

The second one has a dozen of PowerMac. Here there is a problem. I can start
all services (atlkd, afpd, ...) and everything seem to be ok. When
i use the nbplkup command, there is only one printer (Fiery), and one old
LC630 Mac that are detected by the lookup program on the local network.

When i try to aecho one of these, it works fine. But i cannot see
the exported volumes from any Mac, even the LC630. The PowerMacs are
running the 7.5.3 system. I did not try to see printing services
from the Macs.

There is the isdn subsystem for Linux running on the PC, i should not
disturb the AppleTalk.

I read all the FAQs but didn't see anything.

May be it is a simple config problem.

Thanx for any help.

Ugo.

---

From: Helmut Franzke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 16:36:48 +0200

Hi!

--- snip ---

I got the same problem yesterday and could (maybe) fix it today.
I'm running Linux 2.0.30 and netatalk-1.4b2-asun-2.0a15.2. If I have a 
the configuration file afpd.conf with no entries (unless comments) I get
the error.
If I start afpd without any afpd.conf (just deleted) it works. 

Does anyone have an explanation?

Regards

Helmut Franzke