Subject: [netatalk-admins] Shadow passwords -- still unsolved

From: "Michael O. Sedore" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 13:17:16 -0400 (EDT)

Gentlemen, ladies:

I posted this a week ago to no avail, and I still have found no solution.
There must be something I've just missed.  Please pass along any wisdom
that might push me toward a resolution.

-------------------------------------------------------

I've been trying for five hours now to get netatalk 1.4b2 to work with a
Linux 2.0.30 shadowed password system.  I can perfectly well access the
server from non-passworded (test) accounts, but logging in to passworded
accounts invariably generates "Your password is incorrect..." 

Netatalk compiles cleanly.  I've searched the mail archives and FAQ's and
web sites.  I've added DEFS= -DSHADOWPW to my
../netatalk/sys/linux/Makefile, and I've added -DSHADOW_PASSWORD to the
list of CFLAGS in ../netatalk/etc/afpd/Makefile.

-Mike

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Michael O. Sedore             Instructional Technology Department
[email-masked]                    St. Lawrence University
http://it.stlawu.edu/~mosedore                   Canton, NY 13617
-----------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Peter Pettersson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 20:24:42 +0200

>that might push me toward a resolution.

The problem seems to be something with the flags and defines. I traced the
problem down to that the shadow parts in ../netatalk/etc/afpd/auth.c never
get compiled. After commenting out the #ifdef SOLARIS in the beginning of
that file it compiled correct and now works fine.

/* #ifdef SOLARIS */
#define SHADOWPW
/* #endif SOLARIS */

I hope this helps and that someone can find the right place to change.

Peter Pettersson
Dep. of Crop Prod. Sci.
The Swedish Univ. Agric. Sci.

---

From: "Michael O. Sedore" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 15:37:51 -0400 (EDT)

Peter,

Thanks so much!  Commenting out that #IFDEF SOLARIS did the trick.

-Mike

On Mon, 25 Aug 1997, Peter Pettersson wrote:

> >list of CFLAGS in .../netatalk/etc/afpd/Makefile.
> >
> >-Mike
>