Subject: [netatalk-admins] NetAppleTalk on net with two zones. How?

From: Kent Reuber <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 09:40:03 -0400

I'm having trouble bringing up Netatalk on my MkLinux box (PowerComputing
Power100 with 72MB of RAM, MKLinux DR2.1r3) on the correct zone. The
problem is our AppleTalk network--net 9900--has two zones: "Wellman" and
"Molecular Biology". Wellman is the default zone, but I want the system to
come up under Molecular Biology where the rest of our machines are.

If I understand the documentation correctly, I would think that the
following line in the atalkd.conf file would work:

eth0 -phase 2 -net 9900 -zone "Molecular Biology"

However, when the system boots, it still comes up under the "Wellman" zone
and the atalkd.conf gets rewritten as follows:

eth0 -phase 2 -net 9900 -addr 9900.100 -zone "Wellman" -zone "Molecular
Biology"

OK. So that isn't the way to go. How about the -seed option? That doesn't
seem to work either. Saying:

eth0 -seed -phase 2 -net 9900 -zone "Molecular Biology"

results in the atalk stack never starting. Is there a log file somewhere
that says what went wrong?

I don't think I want to hardware an address, do I? That sounds like an
invitation to address conflicts. Anyone have any insight into what's going
on?

Thanks in advance.

Kent

Kent Reuber, LAN Manager
Molecular Biology Dept., Wellman 9th Floor
Massachusetts General Hospital
Boston, MA 02114
[email-masked]
(617) 726-2359     FAX (617) 726-6893

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 16:10:23 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi,

> eth0 -phase 2 -net 9900 -addr 9900.100 -zone "Wellman" -zone "Molecular

that's right, 'cause atalkd does nothing but bare Appletalk protocol. 
You'll have to fiddle with nbprgstr and afpd in the startup-scrips to 
change the zone, they appear.

:wq! PoC

---

From: Bill Studenmund <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 12:52:34 -0700 (PDT)

> change the zone, they appear.

In other words, in the nbprgst, and in the afpd start up, you want to add
@Mileculat Biology to the name. Note also that you'll need to put the
whole thing in quotes to protect the space in the zone name.

Take care,

Bill