Subject: [netatalk-admins] Samba $ Netatalk integration

From: yvain <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 13:21:17 +1000

Hi All,

    I've just checked through the netatalk archives on the topic of
samba/netatalk integration. From what i could see, the main outcome was
a discussion about how to make the .AppleDouble directories be deleted
automatically for samba users, and a little bit of a discussion about
finder info being automatically generated for non-mac files.

    I'm interested to know if anyone has integrated netatalk and samba
more closely. More specifically, has anyone got patches to samba that
make it aware of files in the .AppleDouble directory that are related to
any apple based files in the main directory. A second question is what
is the relationship between the .AppleDesktop directory and apple files
in a netatalk share? What would need to be done to make samba aware of
them?

    I have made modifications to samba to deal with CAP and its
.finderinfo and .resource directories - for everything except  file
copies, but i'd prefer not to have to re-invent the wheel...

Chris

---

From: Stelios Valavanis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 21:43:38 -0500

>in a netatalk share? What would need to be done to make samba aware of

we've implemented combined netatalk/samba servers at several clients as
wellas for internal use. i'm happy to put you in contact with one of my
sysadmins to see if we can help you out. i do know that if a pc touches a
file, the finder info is lost and the file has to be opened with the open
dialog box in an app. we keep a utility called 'filetyper' around for a
quick fix when needed.
  _________________________________________________________
    stel valavanis     mailto:[email-masked]     http://www.onShore.com/