Subject: Netatalk printing on Solaris 2.5.1

From: [email-masked] (John Grant)
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 1997 09:13:34 -0800

I gave up with lpsched and loaded plp (lprng wouldn't compile). Well it
sort of works, but not usably.

If you print from a Mac via a papd spool the first job prints fine, then
this is what you see.

In /var/adm/messages:

papd[1388]:lp_conn_unix connect /dev/printer: No such file or directory
papd[1388]: lp_print: lp_conn_unix: Resource temporarily unavailable

for each print job that you add and also the queue builds:

Printer lp on machine.oaty.com
Warning: queue is not active (no server present).

using lpc to down and up the queue seems to start printing again and all
the waiting jobs print, not just the first... then the next job starts the
cycle all over again...

Anybody have any smart ideas ? What is /dev/printer supposed to be doing ?
Why does papd try to open it ?

---

                                John

---

From: John Fulmer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 10:03:41 -0600

> sort of works, but not usably.

I use the stock port of Berkley lpr/lpd. It's running on a Sparc 5,
Solaris 2.4. After the inital trauma of completely replacing the SysV
printing :), it has been running find for three months now, supporting
one Mac via netatalk for printing.

The URL for the Solaris port of LPR/LPD is:

ftp://ftp.nus.sg/pub/NUS/ISCS/misc/lpr-sol2-p5.03.tar.gz

jf
-- 
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+ John Fulmer                   | "UNIX was not designed to stop     +
+ Secure Network System         |  you from doing stupid things,     +
+ Lawrence, Kansas              |  because that would also stop you  +
+                               |  from doing clever things."        +
+ [email-masked]           |                                    + 
+ http://www.iegroup.com        |                     -- Larry Wall  +
+                                                                    +
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++