Subject: [netatalk-admins] Zones w/o routing?

From: Andrew Brennan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 12:44:40 -0400 (EDT)

Ok ... we have a slush of different Macs (& printers) in different
   departments -- all on the same physical segment of our network.  I
   would like to toss in some zones so that it's not as ugly, but all
   of the systems I have in that segment have only one interface.

   I am trying to rig the dummy0 (Linux) interface so that netatalk's
   routing will be happy and I'll get the zones I want ... but it may
   not work.  Is there any way to pull this one off??  I could see if
   one of the routers could be configured to do this ... but our net-
   admins aren't terribly responsive -- and even less where AppleTalk
   and Macs are concerned.

   andrew.  ([email-masked])

		"Have you changed your domain name today?"

---

From: Alistair Riddell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 18:07:15 +0100 (BST)

I'm afraid it looks like you'll have to persuade your network admins to
co-operate. If you want to be able to choose which zone each device on
your appears in then you must configure the seed router to create more
than one zone on the interface which is connected to your network segment.
You can have more than one seed router on the network but they must all
agree about the zone list (among other things). So if there is already a
router connected to your network which has been put there by network
administrators to connect you to anotehr network then the configuration of
that router will have to be changed.

If you configure a router to create zones on an interface which is not
physically connected to your network (e.g. loopback or dummy interface)
then those zones will appear in the chooser but you will not be able to
place any devices in them. 

You can use this to create zones called "Forbidden Zone" or "Twilight
Zone" which no devices will ever appear in...

--
Alistair Riddell - BOFH
IT Support Department, George Watson's College, Edinburgh
Tel: +44 131 447 7931 Ext 176       Fax: +44 131 452 8594

---

From: Andrew Brennan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 13:26:25 -0400 (EDT)

> than one zone on the interface which is connected to your network segment.

   I am the only AppleTalk router on my segment.  There is no conflict
   here ... but I can't seem to get my atalkd to advertise zones as it
   only has the one network interface.  Do I need to use a fake second
   interface (dummy or perhaps a loopbacked ethernet interface) in the
   machine to get atalkd to act as a router??

> agree about the zone list (among other things). 

   I thought multiple seed routers was considered a poor practice - to
   the point of being strongly recommended against?

> So if there is already a router connected to your network which has been 
> put there by network admins to connect you to anotehr network then the
> configuration of that router will have to be changed.

   Hmm.  My message wasn't clear.  The network admins don't "do" Macs
   or AppleTalk, so there isn't any help from them in this matter.

> place any devices in them. 

   I took a stab at this, but I'm still not seeing any zone info in my
   /etc/atalkd.conf - it's being rewritten without the zones.

---

From: Alistair Riddell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 18:40:43 +0100 (BST)

>    machine to get atalkd to act as a router??

You should not have to configure anything on loopback or dummy interfaces.

>From my machine:

frank:~> cat /etc/atalkd.conf
eth0 -seed -phase 2 -net 500-501 -addr 500.39 -zone "IT Department" -zone
"Internet Servers"
frank:~>

This means that the network segment has two zones attached to it - IT
Department and Internet Servers. Devices are by default in zone IT
Department but you can choose to have a device in the zone Internet
Servers. On a Mac this is done in the Appletalk or Network control panel.

>    the point of being strongly recommended against?

I don't see anything wrong with having more than on seed router on a
subnet, as long as they agree on cable range and zone information. The
above machine is one of three seed routers on the subnet. It just means
that if one router goes down then there is still another one there to seed
the network.

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 10:32:04 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi,

>    machine to get atalkd to act as a router??

I use dummy.o do get it to do what I want (seems to work only with Phase 2).
Perhaps you need to patch dummy.c accordingly to 
http://www.math.umn.edu/~bradford/ltpc.html.

:wq! PoC