Subject: [netatalk-admins] Re: your mail

From: "Joseph T. Klein" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 97 13:25:26 Central Standard Time

I installed the FreeBSD netatalk package from the ports collection.
When I fire it up I get:

puck# sh netatalk.sh start
 netatalknbp_rgstr: Operation timed out
Can't register puck:Workstation@*
nbp_rgstr: Operation timed out
Can't register puck:netatalk@*
puck# 

I can see the appletalk entries in the routing table:

puck# netstat -rn
Routing tables

Internet:
Destination        Gateway            Flags     Refs     Use     Netif Expire
default            206.54.226.254     UGSc       16       70      tun0
127.0.0.1          127.0.0.1          UH         10       48       lo0
206.54.226.254     206.54.229.65      UH         16        0      tun0
206.54.229.64/28   link#1             UC          0        0 
206.54.229.65      127.0.0.1          UH          1     2406       lo0

AppleTalk:
Destination        Gateway            Flags     Refs     Use     Netif Expire
0                  0.0                U           0       16       lo0 =>
0-32767            1024.172           U           1       12       de0
1024.172           0.0                UH          1        4       de0
32768-49151        1024.172           U           0        0       de0
49152-57343        1024.172           U           0        0       de0
57344-61439        1024.172           U           0        0       de0
61440-63487        1024.172           U           0        0       de0
63488-64511        1024.172           U           0        0       de0
64512-65023        1024.172           U           0        0       de0
65024-65279        1024.172           U           0        0       de0
65280-65407        1024.172           U           0        0       de0
65408-65471        1024.172           U           0        0       de0
65472-65503        1024.172           U           0        0       de0
65504-65519        1024.172           U           0        0       de0
65520-65527        1024.172           U           0        0       de0
65528-65531        1024.172           U           0        0       de0
65532-65533        1024.172           U           0        0       de0
65534              1024.172           U           0        0       de0
puck# 

and I can see the Macs et. al. on the network:

puck# nbplkup
                         Oberon:AFPServer                          65280.75:249
                         Oberon:ARA - Client-Only                  65280.75:2
                         Oberon:  MacOS compatible                 65280.75:252
                         Oberon:Workstation                        65280.75:4
                        Titania:AFPServer                          65280.144:254
                        Titania:  Power Macintosh                  65280.144:250
                        Titania:Workstation                        65280.144:4
                          Snout:AFPServer                          40.71:249
                          Snout:PPCToolBox                         40.71:250
                          Snout:  Power Macintosh                  40.71:252
                          Snout:Workstation                        40.71:4
etc.

puck# 

So what's can the problem be?

I don't grock how these entries get registered in the NBP database.
Is it possible that I can't write to the database?
What is the mechanism for creation and storage of the NBP database?
--
From: Joseph T. Klein, Titania Corporation http://www.titania.net/
mailto: [email-masked]               Sent: 13:25:26 CST/CDT 12/13/97
voice:  +1 414 372 4565               FAX:  +1 414 264 6038

---

From: Julian Elischer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 1997 23:42:08 -0800 (PST)

you didn't install the patch refered to in  the 2.2.5 erratum