Subject: [netatalk-admins] Clarification on multiple AFP/TCP servers.

From: Duncan Sinclair <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 18:48:57 +0100

Hi,

Based on "a sun"'s comments (sorry, I don't know your actual name),
it seems you can't run two afpd servers on the same machine without
one having to be given a non-standard port.

When you have AppleTalk access to the server this is not a problem,
as the Chooser details (NBP stuff) will point to the correct port.
But in the case of running a second server which you want access to
over an IP-only network, I guess, too bad.

Solutions would involve things like virtual interfaces - giving
multiple IP (and DDP?) addresses or different internet names for
the server which it can tell apart - but only if the protocol
supports it.

I, myself, like the idea of being able to run multiple servers on the
one machine, as it allows me to separate logically different services.
It also makes it very much easier to move servers between machines
without confusing people.

So, for example, a research project with its own disk will get its
own server, and if I later move the disk, the users never need know.

The option is being able to specify an alternative port as a flag to
afpd sounds good, especially if the actual port number was an option -
rather than hardwiring these numbers into start-up files.

In fact, what I would really prefer would be if afpd could create
multiple servers based on a configuration file.  This configuration
file would specify the "master" server with the constant port number,
and have slots where afpd might write in the current port number chosen
for other servers.

A bit like the atalkd.conf and papd.conf files.

A related aside, does anyone know the truth behind the claim on
"www.macintouch.com" today (11th) that the AppleShare Client 3.7
can only talk to one IP server per subnet?  (Which would make this
entire discussion pointless.)

Cheers,

Duncan.

---

From: Eric Dubiel-CED016 <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 13:29:05 -0500

Does anyone know if you use Apple's Personal File Sharing with the
AppleShare 3.7 code if it can do IP, or is this *only* if you have a
server?  (If true, that's *REALLY* dumb)

Somehow, I'd think it'd go IP, and Apple doesn't want the cat out of the
bag, since then less people would buy the AppleShare IP Server
products...  Anyone have a definitive answer, perhaps from some
documentation?  If this functionality does not exist in personal file
sharing, does anyone know what the timeframe is for inclusion?

Thanks much.
-Eric
--
Eric A. Dubiel   Motorola, Inc.,FPDC Computer Support Group
http://www.ilstu.edu/~eadubie mailto:[email-masked]

"I first saw NEXTSTEP in 1990 and I was blown away."
       -Eric Schmidt, Novell, Inc. CEO
VIEWS EXPRESSED ARE ENTIRELY MY OWN    MIME,HTML,PGP Mail ok

---

From: Stefan Bethke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 20:56:52 +0200

>entire discussion pointless.)

Nope. Currently I'm logged into four servers; two on the local net (AT+IP),
one on another subnet (AT+IP), and one on the Internet. None of them is
netatalk yet :-(

It *might* be true however, that "AppleShare 3.7 client cannot connect to
more than one *AppleShare IP 5.0* server on the same TCP/IP subnet."
[emphasis by me, quote from http://www.macintouch.com/ ].

Stefan

--
Stefan Bethke
Promo Datentechnik      |  Tel. +49-40-851744-0
+ Systemberatung GmbH   |  Fax. +49-40-851744-44
Eduardstrasse 46-48     |  e-mail: [email-masked]
D-20257 Hamburg         |  http://www.Promo.DE/