Subject: [netatalk-admins] Shadow Password

From: [email-masked] (root)
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 12:23:04 +0100

Hi to all!

We are using Netatalk 1.4b2 on a Linux System. We'v heard
about the Eudora tool poppassd to change the password
via the Eudora Mail Programm.
But we can't succed in using it together with shadow
passwords. While compiling with the shadow option -DHAS_SHADOW turned
on, it always stops with an error message: 

poppassd.o: In function `chkPass':
poppassd.o(.text+0xb20): undefined reference to `pw_encrypt'
make: *** [poppassd] Error 1

Because the source file is date May 1995, I think there should be 
an newer one. I received the files in a package named "poppassd-1.2".

Does anybody know some hints?

Thank's in advance.

Jann Wegner
Insitut fuer Demoskopie Allensbach

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Hanno Foest)
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 21:09:51 +0100 (MET)

Hi!

> make: *** [poppassd] Error 1

Sounds familiar, I had this with Qualcomm's (Eudora is from Qualcomm!)
qpopper2.4 pop3 daemon package when switching to shadow passwords on a 
RedHat 4.2 Linux system.

pw_encrypt is the crypt(3) equivalent for double-length passwords. Since
there are security problems with double-length passwords, a lot of
unixes don't have this function. For some reason this isn't detected.
Just change pw_encrypt to crypt and it should work.

> an newer one. I received the files in a package named "poppassd-1.2".

It is definetely a good idea to use the latest version of the package.
It sounds interesting, I'll have a look into it myself.

Hanno