Subject: [netatalk-admins] Odd problems

From: Scott Venier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 1997 01:54:28 -0500 (EST)

I'm having 2 odd problems with netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.0a17.2...

1).  rand2num authentication doesn't work.  I compiled with the a des
library, made the ~/.passwd file, and it doesn't work - with user names,
or with the finger info names.

2).  When I play mp3s off a shared drive (mounted with ASIP), when it gets
to the end of the song, it will loop back and replay the last five
seconds, for ever and ever and ever...  

While the second problem is only annoying, the first one is bad.  Anyone
have any similar experiences or any suggestions?

Thanks.

Scott

=====================================================================
Scott Venier                      *ResComp Network Support Technician
[email-masked]                        *Consultant for Ingematics,
[email-masked]                     a division of Compu-Aid, Inc.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Kevin Heflin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 1997 02:54:50 -0600 (CST)

> seconds, for ever and ever and ever...  

Our Mac users were expierincing this problem as well. we were using
MacAmp.

At first I tried a different Mpeg player.. "Vamp" I think... this did not
have the same problem as MacAMP.

I reported this problem to the author of MacAMP, who released an update a
few days later. The update fixed the problem for some but not others?

Kevin

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Kevin Heflin          | ShreveNet, Inc.      | Ph:318.222.2638 x103
VP/Mac Tech           | 333 Texas St #619    | FAX:318.221.6612
[email-masked]    | Shreveport, LA 71101 | http://www.shreve.net
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Scott Venier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 1997 16:00:15 -0500 (EST)

I am having the problem with MacAmp, and I tried the newest version, and
it didn't fix the problem...  but is fixing it in MacAmp really the right
idea?  Is it caused by an error in MacAmp, or is it an inconsistantcy
between the way netatalk appears vs. a "real" drive?  I don't know
anything about the internals of AppleShare (IP or otherwise) or MacAmp,
but since this problem only appears with netatalk drives (IP definatly,
maybe DDP, but I can't tell (see my original message problem #1 (yick,
nested parens in email))) it would seem to indicate something in netatalk
is triggering it.

Scott