Subject: [netatalk-admins] LaserWriter and Linux

From: George Geller <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 1997 07:45:35 +0100

I know we went over this recently on this mailing list, but it didn't reach
a satisfactory conclusion.

I'm trying to get my Apple Personal LaserWriter II NT working with my Linux
box.  I connected the hardware according to the instructions in the
printer's manual.  When I tried to access it from the Linux box, nothing
happens at all.

Are there any diagnostic programs I can run to see what is going on with my
serial port?

Has anyone else had success with thie setup?

Thanks, George

---

From: Gregor Retti <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 1997 17:55:25 +0100

>printer's manual.  When I tried to access it from the Linux box, nothing

some suggestions:
-	if I do recall this correctly the old laserwriter II NT has some
switch to activate either the appletalk or the serial port
-	did you check out the Printing-Howto and the Serial-Howto. there
are some notes there about serial printers. I think it might be important
to set the correct baud rate (9600 ?). setserial will do this.
-	for testing just make yourself a simple postscript-file and cat it
to the serial port where the laserwriter is connected.
-	finally check the rights of the device-file, to make sure lp can
write to it

hope this helps
gregor

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
 gregor retti ----------- http://germanistik.uibk.ac.at/germ/retti.html
-----------------------------------------------------------------------