Subject: [netatalk-admins] erk and a17.2

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 1997 07:56:46 -0800 (PST)

well, i didn't get inet_aton quite right. a17.2 should work
better. have a go at it.

-a

---

From: Chris Thorman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 1997 09:10:27 -0800

Adrian,

Can you explain what you mean by inet_aton?  (Who should install it?)

Could the symptom of this problem be that AS/IP works fine but AppleTalk
has problems? (This is the problem I have found with a17.  But the AS/IP
has been great so far.)

Trying to determine whether your improvement to a17.2 might affect me, :-)

-c

>well, i didn't get inet_aton quite right. a17.2 should work

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chris Thorman                           [email-masked]
Ignition, Inc.                          (415) 392-6244 x3
870 Market Street                       (415) 392-6245 fax
San Francisco, CA 94102                 http://ignitiondesign.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Chris Thorman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 1997 13:29:03 -0800

Hi,

I am unable to get afpd.conf to be obeyed over my AS/IP connection.

I have tried the following line:

- -tcp -noddp -rand2num -randnum -nocleartxt -noguest -nosavepassword
-nosetpassword -loginmesg "Here you are."

and gotten no luck.

I noticed that adding lines such as

foo -noguest
bar -noguest

... and HUPing the afpd server will cause "servers" foo and bar to be
registered on my AppleTalk network.  Similarly, removing those lines and
HUPing makes them go away, so the file is not being ignored entirely.

However, the "-" line (documented as setting params for the "default"
server) seems to have no effect.  To wit:

Passwords are still sent as clear text, DDP is still being attempted, there
is no login message, password options ignored, etc.

Has anyone gotten options in afpd.conf to work?

Specifically, I am interested in the randnum and rand2num authentication so
that cleartext will not be used to transmit passwords.  (Have already built
with des to enable this in theory.  Just getting it work in fact is the
problem...)

(P.S. Thanks to Adrian Sun for creating the feature.)

-c