Subject: [netatalk-admins] [netatalk-release] MacOS8 Patch Available

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 1997 11:41:04 -0400

An official patch has been released on the netatalk web pages to fix currently
known problems with netatalk's integration with MacOS8.

The patch can be found at the following web page:

    http://www.umich.edu/~rsug/netatalk/patches/1.4b2/

So far, nobody using the patch, including us, has reported any problems with the
patch.  If you find anything, please contact us at: 

    [email-masked]

Thank you for your attention.

EV
AN

---

From: patrick finerty <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 16:14:08 -0600

hi,

1.4b2 has been out (it seems like) forever and in the meanwhile
[email-masked] has been releasing patch after patch for
it. when is 1.4b2 at least going to move to b3 and incorporate some of
these items in the official distribution?

-pjf

-- 
       "There is only one aim in life and that is to live it."
 Karl Shapiro,(1959) from an essay on Henry Miller's Tropic of Cancer
	  finger [email-masked] for PGP key
  zifi runs Linux 2.0.30               http://zifi.genetics.utah.edu

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 1997 22:22:44 -0400

> From:    patrick finerty <[email-masked]>
> To:      [email-masked]

> these items in the official distribution?

The move to b3 will follow a limited release of netatalk for solaris.
The limited release for solaris is coming shortly.  We like to be
reasonable bug free, and fairly tested before we release, even an
alpha.  As far as patches go, we'd rather the official/main netatalk
distribution didn't become a member of the patch-a-week club.

:wes

---

From: William Uther <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 10:13:07 -0400

>distribution didn't become a member of the patch-a-week club.

http://www.ccil.org/~esr/writings/cathedral.html has an interesting study
of 'the patch-a-week club'.  They favour a two separate release model.  One
release is the 'bleeding edge' release which might be released more than
once a day during high intensity periods.  The other release is the 'known
stable' release that lags behind the earlier release with only known stable
stuff in it.

It seems that we almost have that model for netatalk already.  Adrian does
the bleeding edge release (which I can't seem to get to compile easily).
And 'the maintainers' release the 'known stable' release.  The only
difference is that things don't seem to be migrating from Adrian's release
to the 'official' release (for a variety of reasons - not the fault of any
one party).

\x/ill        :-}

William Uther            "When I die I want to go quietly,
[email-masked]            in my sleep like my Grandfather,
Dept. of Computer Science,   not screaming like the passengers in his car"
Carnegie Mellon University         http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~will/