Subject: [netatalk-admins] papd and binary postscript

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 1997 18:07:54 GMT

Hi,

I'm new to this list, so please excuse me if this has been discussed 
before. At least
I didn't find anything related on the net.

I'm running atalk-1.4.2b on my linux-box, kernel 2.0.29 and it is 
doing well. Great stuff,
very reliable! But one problem remains, which exclusively occurs if 
printing 
postscript-code including binary-encoded images. Then papd does some 
extremely
time-consuming things. To transfer a 10MB job into the printers 
spooling directory  takes
about 20 minutes while papd consumes 90% of the CPU. (Currently, my 
linux-box is an ancient
486/66.)

The same file (but of course inflated to 20 MB) with ascii-encoded 
images takes 
about 30 seconds or so. 

Any help appreciated,

Thanks, Ulrich

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~	Ulrich Hammel

Informatik Centrum Dortmund (ICD)	Universität Dortmund
Joseph-von-Fraunhofer-Str. 20	FB Informatik/XI
44227 Dortmund	44221 Dortmund
Zimmer 2.67	Tel: 0231-9700-366
	Fax: 0231-9700-959

                       E-Mail: [email-masked]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~http://ls11-www.informatik.uni-dortmund.de/people/hammel