Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] YIKES!! SMC doesn't work with netatalk... really??

From: Dave Zarzycki <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 97 21:19:46 -0800

On 10/31/97 6:14 PM, Jeff Wiegley ([email-masked]) wrote:

>the obscure caveat is what I'm worried about because, of course, I
>have an EtherPower card based on the DEC 21140 tulip chip.  Is this
>what is causing my netatalk server to be incapable of seeing other
>appletalk equipment in the default zone?

The caveat (for the DEC tulip based cards) is that the driver has 
difficulties with multicast. Upgrade to a newer kernel, and/or upgrade 
the tulip driver explicitly. Or you could force the card into promiscuous 
mode (not ideal or recommended, but it works). It's not that bad.

davez

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Dave Zarzycki                                Student
Intern                                       San Jose State University
Apple Computer, Inc.                         [email-masked]
[email-masked]                           [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------
PGP Fingerprints (RSA):  8AF2 1040 8A9C D025  47BE 70DD A51C C887
DSS/Diffie-Hellman: CB9E 2621 B4BA 3F96 3516  B312 15B4 D842 3809 EF99
Contact pgpkeys.mit.edu for my public keys.