Subject: [netatalk-admins] creating aliases

From: chris thoen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 16:17:16 +0200

Hello,

We are running netatalk 1.3.3 on a linux system 2.0

Some of the users want to create an alias on their desktop (Mac os 7.5) 
to some directories on the Linux fileserver. They follow the following
procedure :
	1. create an alias on the fileserver 
	2. copy the alias to their desktop
	3. delete the alias on the fileserver

When they access the alias on the desktop, they come in a complete
different directory on the unix server.  They have the impression that
in the beginning it is working fine, but after a while the computer is
somehow loosing  the right connection.  I can understand netatalk has
some problems, because deleting the aliases on the unix-server will
delete the info in the .AppleDouble directory. 

Is there any procedure to make an alias on the right way?

thanks,

Chris

- 
Chris THOEN
Systeembeheerder Net it be
Posthoflei 3
2600  BERCHEM
tel	:	03/286.04.34
fax	:	03/286.04.70
email	:	[email-masked]
url	:	www.netit.be

---

From: Mark Donnelly <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 10:34:32 +0000

>	3. delete the alias on the fileserver

Well, this isn't really doing anything with netatalk, but rather MacOS,
but this works for me:

Download a copy of "Hidden Finder Features," which should be available
at any info-mac mirror.  This is a control panel that gives you the
option of enabling some parts of the Finder that are disabled by
default, including the ability to hold down control while dragging an
item in order to create an alias to that item in the new location.
(Control-drag makes an alias)

Making new aliases that way works well for me (MacOS 7.6.1 and netatalk
1.3.3 through 1.4b2+asun14...)

--Mark
   "I think so Brain, but if they called them sad meals, then 
    no one would buy them."