Subject: [netatalk-admins] bad Apple filenames for Samba clients

From: "Philip S. Wachtel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 1997 14:15:11 -0500

Hello!

I recently posted a question about how to make the use of samba and
netatalk cleaner by hiding (or veto-ing) the .Apple and Trash and other mac
stuff.  I thank all those that answered.  By upgrading Samba and using
veto, my problem was solved!

Now, second question.  Mac users tend to use all kinds of file naming
conventions that PCs don't read.  Is there a way of preventing Macs from
saving a files with certain characters in the filenames?  This would help a
great deal.

Yet again, I thank you very much!

Philip

---

From: Jeff Wiegley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 1997 14:57:48 -0800

> Yet again, I thank you very much!

We solved this problem the easiest way we could think of:

  We are simply spanking any mac user that uses symbols and odd
  characters in file names.

Seriously, I think there is some robust configurations for samba that
will handle "bad" filenames a little better but we aren't familiar with
samba enough to pursue that answer any further and it was just easier
to tell the mac peoples to use a more standard naming convention.

- Jeff

---

From: Julian Elischer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 1997 15:25:23 -0800 (PST)

We have just added code to samba (and it has been given to the netatalk
people) for code-page synchronisation between SAMBA and Netatalk.
this is so that (for example) japaneses users can read each other's
filenames
and also for various european code-sets.
teh '(c)' symbol and others like that are a bit harder to handle
but it appears to me it might be handled in the same way..
What's the low-down Jeremy?

Julian

---

From: William LeFebvre <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 1997 13:42:18 -0500

>   characters in file names.

Ooh!  I want to be a user on YOUR network.  :-)
What do you do for second and third infractions?

				William LeFebvre
				Group sys Consulting
				<[email-masked]>
				+1 770 813 3224

---

From: Alistair Riddell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 1997 00:19:30 +0000 (GMT)

> What do you do for second and third infractions?

Where used I work, it would be rubber hoses and mediaeval torture
respectively.
I live up to my job title...

--
Alistair Riddell - BOFH
IT Support Department, George Watson's College, Edinburgh
Tel: +44 131 447 7931 Ext 176       Fax: +44 131 452 8594