Subject: Re: AppleshareIP

From: Ken Prehoda <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 97 09:07:08 -0500

On 6/23/97 7:09 PM, Conner wrote:

>Good morning. I just subscribed to the list about twenty seconds ago, so
>please forgive me if this is previously-covered territory.
>
>What are the plans for support of Appleshare over tcp/ip? The client will
>be bundled with the next MacOS release, which is about three weeks away.
>There is a version of KA-Share (Xinet's commercial product for Irix)
>which supports it available now. While I feel that netatalk is an
>inherently superior method, I think that this protocol change will
>represent a huge performance increase; probably enough to induce me to go
>with a commercial product running on a platform I dislike. Please,
>someone tell me that netatalk will also support this very shortly, and
>save me from having to make the less pleasant decision?

I have recently joined the list with the same hope. When I searched 
through the archive of messages to this list, I found the following 
message which looks like just what I was looking for. Unfortunately, I 
wasn't able to get it to work on a Pentium Pro, RedHat linux 2.0.30 
system. I emailed the author and haven't heard anything yet.  Let me know 
if you (or anyone else) knows the secret.

And avoid SGI's at all cost!

-Ken

>From: a sun <[email-masked]>
>Subject: ANNOUNCEMENT: alpha AFP/TCP support in netatalk
>Sender: [email-masked]
>
>
>i've placed my latest afp/tcp patches for netatalk-1.4b2 in
><ftp://ftp.u.washington.edu/public/asun>. you can either get
>netatalk-2.0a7.tar.gz, or the patches up to it. i've compiled it on
>linux/intel w/ glibc-2 and on linux/axp as well. i've also compiled a
>previous snapshot under sunos 4.1.4. let me know if it works for you.
>
>NB: the 2.0a7 designation is my own and not the official
>maintainers. if and when my changes get incorporated into the official
>netatalk, numbers are bound to change.
>
>for those that already have the a6 patches, here's a brief list of
>changes:
>	fixed asp_attentions and server messages
>	afpd can run as a ddp-only or tcp-only server if desired.
>	limits volume changed attentions to at most 1/second.
>
>for those that aren't familiar w/ my netatalk patches, here's a
>synopsis of what they do:
>	afp 2.2 support includes
>		afp/tcp w/ streaming reads/writes
>		server messages and notifications
>		server signatures
>		large volume support (currently not used by the
>				      macintosh filesystem)
>	64-bit clean
>	random fixes (socket setup, network-byte order blips, and
>		      other things i can't recall)
>
>my main test machine is somewhat flaky right now due to my running the
>latest, greatest linux development kernel. as a consequence, i haven't
>been able to do a good benchmark yet. w/ not-so-flaky kernels, i got
>between a 1.5-2x speedup. 

__________________________________________________________________________
Ken Prehoda                                           [email-masked]
Department of Biochemistry                     http://www.nmrfam.wisc.edu/
University of Wisconsin-Madison                          Tel: 608-263-9498
420 Henry Mall, Madison, WI 53706                        Fax: 608-262-3759

---

From: Andreas Pieper <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 17:27:28 +0200 (MET DST)

> >What are the plans for support of Appleshare over tcp/ip? The client will
... 
> message which looks like just what I was looking for. Unfortunately, I 
...

I also tried this 2.0a.. version and besides nbp_register being broken, I
was able to mount a server volume on the mac (via tcp/ip). Unfortunately,
when double-clicking the, the connection broke ("... unexpectedly
closed...").
Dragging a file onto the volume icon worked, though (and fast!)

aaaa

Andreas Pieper                      http://www.icf.de/mego/
Mego Berlin                         mailto:[email-masked]

---

From: "William R. Dickson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 11:15:16 -0700 (PDT)

> message which looks like just what I was looking for.
> 

The patched version in that directory seems to predate the addition of the
netbsd stuff added to netatalk a few weeks back, and the patches
themselves won't apply to the netbsd version (most of them do with a
little help, but a few won't, and I'm not experienced enough to fix it
myself).

There's a netbsd-aware version of netatalk 1.4b2 at:

     <ftp://toccata.fugue.com/pub/netbsd-atalk/>

...in case anybody wants to take a crack at making the two work together.
There's something wonky about that FTP server, though; I was only able to
get file listings by using standard ftp (not ncftp) on an ultrix system
(not netbsd), and by using ls (not ls -l or dir).  Good luck...

-Bill

-- 
 William R. Dickson -- Consuming the Earth's limited resources since 1968
 [email-masked]  <>  http://www.halcyon.com/wrd/  <>  VNB3T, VSC1T, VSX1T

  I needed a drink, I needed a lot of life insurance, I needed a vacation,
  I needed a home in the country.  What I had was a coat, a hat, and a gun.
  I put them on and went out of the room.
  
                             -Raymond Chandler, "Farewell, My Lovely"