Subject: [netatalk-admins] ? "SO_BROADCAST: Fix your netatalk..." in kernel > 2.1.46

From: Svante Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 14:49:35 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi listers,

I have got the message "SO_BROADCAST: Fix your netatalk as it will break
before 2.2" in kernel 2.1.46 and pre-2.1.48-1 when I boot them up. 

And in the log it reads:

Jul 24 12:31:47 sanderson atalkd[101]: restart (1.4b2)
Jul 24 12:31:48 sanderson atalkd[101]: zip_getnetinfo for eth0
Jul 24 12:31:48 sanderson kernel: SO_BROADCAST: Fix your netatalk as it
will break before 2.2
Jul 24 12:31:48 sanderson atalkd[101]: zip gnireply from 53300.70 (eth0
12)

As I understands it. It is something in the kernel and netatalk (ver
1.4b2) or the configuration of netatalk that do not match.

I supose that 2.2 means linux kernel version 2.2.x but what am I suposed
to fix? I have looked in /usr/src/linux/Documentation to se if something
was writen there but i did not find any thing.

Svante

---
INFORMATION is the difference between the ability TO SEE or NOT.
---
SLU, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Uppsala, Sweden
Department Of Environmental Assessment
Computer and Datamodelling Unit

Svante Anderson

SLU                             Phone:  +46 (0)18 67 30 02 (office)
Inst. f. Miljöanalys                    +46 (0)18 30 17 63 (home)
Data och modelsektionen                 +46 (0)70 628 91 56 (mobil)
Box 7050                        Fax:    +46 (0)18 67 31 56 (office)
S-750 07 Uppsala                        +46 (0)18 30 27 53 (office)
SWEDEN                          E-mail: [email-masked]

Visitor address/besöks adress   WWW:    http://sanderson.ma.slu.se
                                        http://www.ma.slu.se
Ulls väg 31 A, Ultuna, Uppsala

Finger: [email-masked] för publik PGP nyckel/
Finger: [email-masked] for my public PGP key

---

---

From: [email-masked] (Alan Cox)
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 19:42:54 +0100 (BST)

> 1.4b2) or the configuration of netatalk that do not match.

UMich netatalk doesn't set SO_BROADCAST on sockets that broadcast. If we want
2.2 to meet POSIX 1003.1g we should be enforcing this rule. Someone needs to
put a few

	int one=1;	
	setsockopt(some_sock_fd, SOL_SOCKET, SO_BROADCAST,&one,sizeof(one));

calls into the atalkd for its broadcast stuff