Subject: [netatalk-admins] Password authentication using NIS

From: "Yannai A. Gonczarowski" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 12:57:50 +0300

Is there any NIS client for the MAC?

Bye,
Yannai.

--
Yannai A. Gonczarowski     System Administrator    
[email-masked]
The Hebrew University High School     
http://www.leyada.jlm.k12.il/~yannaigo/

"Do you want to know something? Everybody's human."
"I find that remark insulting."
  - Kirk and Spock, "Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered contry", stardate
9529.1

---

From: "Povl H. Pedersen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 12:45:03 +0200

I have been playing a bit with the System 8 Golden Master, and it has some
annoying behaviour when I have connected to a NetAtalk volume.

About every 10 seconds or so it thinks something has changed, and it
redraws the window. So if I scroll in a window, after around 10 secs, I am
back to the top left. If I want an always-sorted-by-name view, then many
files often appears twice, disappears, reappears single, double etc.

I am NOT using the TCP patches.

Also, mounted network volumes takes longer to appear on Desktop. But that
also goes for NT volumes.

The volumes mounted from the NT server does not show this behaviour, and
there is MUCH LESS flashing of the atalk activity arrows in the menu bar.

I am not sure what is going wrong, but it is worth to investigate.

I would not recommend wide use of system 8 with 1.4b2.

---
Povl H. Pedersen                                   NetGuide Scandinavia AB
Phone: +45 8618 1823    Cellular: +45 4093 5511    Fax:   +45 8612 4680
Homepage: http://www.netguide.dk/~pope / e-mail: mailto:[email-masked]
Macintosh/UNIX/Windows specialist. Microsoft Certified Professional

---

From: Jamie Unwin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 11:57:59 +0100

I'm having similar troubles, the problem is OS8 is alot more stable for
everything else which is very annoying. I am also having problems moving
the icons on a Netatalk volume, they seem to want to stay in the same
position.

>Macintosh/UNIX/Windows specialist. Microsoft Certified Professional

_______________________________________________
- Jamie Unwin                       Webmedia Ltd, 2 Kendall Place
- Web Developer                                         London, W1H 3AH
_______________________________________________
- [e] [email-masked]                    [t] (0171) 224 7244
- [w] http://www.webmedia.com           [f] (0171) 224 7049
_______________________________________________