Subject: [netatalk-admins] a17 failed compilation

From: "Bill Butler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 13:29:45 -0600

Have any linux slackware 2.0.30 users successfully patched, compiled, &
installed asun's a17 version of netatalk? The compile/install fails on me
everytime. I'm currently just running 1.4b2.

I even tried downloading asun's complete version instead of patching 1.4b2
separately.

--

Bill Butler
[email-masked]
President, Chief Operating Officer
615.321.9100 ext.230

Back in the 1970s we didn't have the space shuttle to get all excited
about.
       We had to settle for men walking on the crummy moon. - Russell
Beland

---

From: Don Hayward <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 16:02:27 -0500 (EST)

Short answer - yes. I have 1.4b2+a17 running on a slackware 2.030, now 2.0.31.
As I recall -- it was way last week sometime -- it was out of the box.

> I even tried downloading asun's complete version instead of patching 1.4b2

Don Hayward			[email-masked]
Mote Marine Laboratory		Voice: 941.388.4441
1600 Ken Thompson Parkway	Fax: 941.388.4312
Sarasota, FL 34236		See: http://www.mote.org
Independent, non-profit, marine and estuarine research and education facility. 
For PGP public key do: finger [email-masked] or http://www.mote.org/~don
require "disclaimer.pl"; # We run Linux
Taxes feed the starving and clothe the naked.

---

From: Walt Bigelow <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 17:54:57 -0800 (PST)

> I even tried downloading asun's complete version instead of patching 1.4b2
Yes I have that same problem... seems its looking for specific libs that
are packed with REDHAT(I cannot remember specs right now tho :/)... I have
not been able to compile it.. tho appleshare IP would be nice.. 

-Walt

---

From: Bill Butler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 00:14:58 -0600 (CST)

I actually got it to compile finally. Since I had 2.0.30, it turns out
that I had to add -DNEED_QUOTACTL_WRAPPER to the DEFS= line of
sys/linux/Makefile. I also left AFPLIBS= and ADDLIBS=  blank and it
compiled like a champ. Hope you can get it to work.

--

Bill Butler
[email-masked]

============================Hint to the Mac user=============================
   When talking to a Windows user, be sure to always adopt a condescending
            tone. If you have trouble with this, ask a Unix user.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 23:07:17 -0800 (PST)

for people having difficulty compiling my patched netatalk, please
remember to look in README.ASUN and README.LINUX (if applicable). i
believe i explain all the issues that have come up. as i've stated
before, the default option setup is for my
linux/glibc/pamified/des-enabled system. that's probably quite
different from yours.

-a