Subject: [netatalk-admins] External CD's & QuickTime

From: John Barry -Technician <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 97 11:52:13 GMT

Hi,
This is off topic, but having spent several weeks, on and off, trying to
get this to work, I figure this is something people should know.

I've spent the past several weeks trying to get some LaCie external CD drives,
(12 speed panasonic) to work properly with out 6100/60's they're running a
vanila version of 7.5.5 except for the fact that the "DBEX" resource is missing
from the system file to stop users from turning the extensions off. 

I tried numerous scsi utilities on the drives, (scsi-probe, mnt-everything,
silverlining, drive7, schuzzy, etc.) all to no avail, many would see the 
drives, some could even display the partition map of the disk in it, but 
none would mount it, those that tried, died, taking the system with it.

I installed the driver,(D2CDinit 3.3.2) it died when it encountered QT (2.5) 
powerplug. I tried installing software FPU, that made no difference, I tried 
reformatting the disk with things such as drive7, HDT, spotlock, etc. but none
of them was capable of mounting the CD, (somewhat ironic, since if you install
a non-Apple drive, like a "sun" conner disk, then it installs a driver that 
will mount any scsi device you hook up to it, at least with drive7 anyway....) 

I was tearing my hair out untill last week, when QT 3.0b2 was released, as a
last resort I installed it, (I'm always a little dubious about installing
beta system software in a lab.) and finally it works, though you can't boot
from the CD, you'll still need a pukka Apple CD Drive if you want to do that...

One question: Has anybody mounted a 12 speed panasonic internally? If so what
did you use as the front blanking plate? I've been told the Apple CD plate
won't work with this drive, is this true? 

Here's hoping somebody finds the above usefull.
later
jb