Subject: [netatalk-admins] AFP 2.2

From: Michael M Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 14:15:37 -0700

Hi, I've never used netatalk, but since list seems to carry the
development-related traffic, I thought this might be a good place to
ask my question. I'm interested in running an afpd which only talks to
TCP/IP via standard inetd. Basically, I'd just as soon not deal with
the hassle of AppleTalk if possible, but given netatalk's
implementation I'm not sure it's possible to do something of this
sort. I've also sent out feelers about CAP which is also now
supporting AFP 2.2.

Is anyone aware of a way to do this? Even running some bizarre form of
netatalk (i.e. with certain portions disabled or not compiled) would
be fine. I've even contemplated writing something from scratch, but I
think that's far beyond the scope of what I can do, especially after
getting my hands at long last on the AFP specification. Also, I'm not
a C/C++ programmer and would probably try to implement in python or
perl.

Anyway, if anyone knows of a way to do what I'm looking to do, please
let me know. Or if anyone thinks my idea's interesting, I'd be
gratified to know I'm not a total oddball. Thanks for whatever
guidance anyone can provide.
_____
Michael Han ([email-masked])                     voice: (415) 502-7542
Interactive Learning Center Consultant                        (415) 476-4309
San Francisco, California 94143-0840                     fax: (415) 476-4653
"The lunatic, the lover and the poet
Are of imagination all compact:-" A Midsummer Night's Dream, V i