Subject: [netatalk-admins] pure chewing satisfaction

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 1997 12:57:35 -0800 (PST)

well, i went ahead and turned pre-a18 into a18. this patch does the
following exciting things relative to 17.2:

	1) byte locks for non AFS machines. i need reports on this.
	   currently, i log all byte lock attempts. let me know if
	   you're getting incorrect behaviour. actually, let me know
	   if you're using them and getting correct behaviour as well.

	2) changed allow/deny file access code for non AFS
	   machines. now, it actually relies on the byte locks to
	   prevent confusion.

	3) you can use the umich beta SOLARIS driver with my code if
	   you specify -DNEW_STREAMS_MODULE in sys/solaris/Makefile.
	
	4) randnum/2-way randnum password changing works now. if you
	   specify -setpassword, you can change whatever's in
	   .passwd. fyi, this works by encrypting your new password w/
	   your old one and your old one with your new one.

	5) faster server-side copies and networking reading and
	   writing. the server-side copies now use mmap if they're >
	   128K in size while the crlf checking got shifted out of the
	   core part of afp_read/afp_write routines.
	
	   oh yeah, i inline a couple things when that feature is
	   available. i'm curious what afp does on 100BaseT
	   networks. if people could let me know the requested chunk
	   sizes for file reads/writes, i would appreciate it. you can
	   figure this out, by turning on debugging and either reading
	   or writing the data fork of a file. 

	6) SimpleText fix. 

	7) wait! there's more! there's even better parental care of
	   children. no longer will afpd think it has children that
	   have actually gone away.

	8) miscellaneous cleanups.

as always, let me know if there are any problems. patches relative to
1.4b2 and a17.2 as well as the patched code are available at
<ftp://ftp.u.washington.edu:/public/asun>. 

-adrian