Subject: [netatalk-admins] Home directory problem

From: Patrick Horsmans <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 1997 09:58:57 +0100

Hello to all,
I'm new to netatalk, please pardon any dust.
I read the online archives and found some questions that stated the same
problem, but I could not find a statisfying answer.

Here's the problem:

afpd is unable to read the AppleVolumes (or .AppleVolumes) file in a
users home directory.
(e.g:  "tilde"/  "My home" or any other volume specified is not read)
The AppleVolumes.system file is OK and read, so is the
AppleVolumes.default file for guests.

I tried the netatalk 1.4b2 and 1.3.3 version.
They are installed on linux slackware 3.3 running shadow passwords.
The auth.c patch was installed to the 1.3.3 version and both versions
were compiled with the respectif -DSHADOW ... options.

After a little debugging, I found that in the .../etc/afpd/volumes.c
file, the function call
getpwnam always returns null from the passwd file instead of the users
home directory.

Did anyone have the same problem?
How can I solve it?

Thanks a lot for any help and hint.

Patrick Horsmans,
member of the santec team.

www.santel.lu

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 1997 10:23:46 +0100 (MET)

Hi,

> Did anyone have the same problem?

No, it works fine with my machine. (Lx Kernel 2.0.31, Shadowpw, plain 1.4b2).

:wq! PoC

---

From: Gregor Retti <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 1997 10:46:26 +0100

>Did anyone have the same problem?

I recently installed slakeware 3.3 with the shadow passwords on a new
machine and found out that:
	- top did not show usernames (unlesss run by root)
	- id neither (unlesss run by root)
	- pine refused to run "Who are you?"-something  (unlesss run by root)
the reason was that /etc/passwd was set to -rw-------. I changed it to
-rw-r--r-- and everything worked fine.

hope this helps
gregor

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
 gregor retti ----------- http://germanistik.uibk.ac.at/germ/retti.html
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Patrick Horsmans <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 1997 12:12:17 +0100

> -rw-r--r-- and everything worked fine.

  Thank you very much Gregor, it works now.