Subject: [netatalk-admins] Shadow-passwords & latest beta

From: Rudo de Jong <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 23:58:41 +0100 (MET)

Hi there,

Recently I installed a Linux-box in a network with Win95- and
Apple-machine. For the Win95-clients I used Samba and for the Apple-side I
found Netatalk to be a good choice. I got the latest beta and compiled and
installed it.

I found out that because the linux-box uses shadow-passwords the
Apple-users can not connect to directories shared on the linux-box,
eventhough they see the linux-box in the chooser.

On the Netatalk-homepage I read something about a patch for the latest
stable version. Is this patch also neccesary for the beta version?

Thank you for your attention...

                     -----------------------------
                     | Rudo de Jong <[email-masked]> |
                     -----------------------------

             Fatal Error: Couldn't enter Windows, use Doors.
                              -----------
We are Microsoft. UNIX is irrelevant. Openness is futile. The Hive is all.
                       You will be assimilated.