Subject: [netatalk-admins] Asun's suggested changes...

From: John Grant <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 1997 09:32:53 -0700

Are an improvement (IMHO).

The original code forces its type/creator guesses on you. The first time
the server sees a (non-mac) file, it looks up a "suitable" set of values
from its configuration. If you don't like the choice, well, you're out of
luck - changes made with "Get Info" don't work, the "guess" always
overrules get info.

At best the look-up table contains guesses of suitable type/creators; so
using this file the first time a file is seen makes sense, may as well
guess something. This value should then be left alone, if someone comes
along with get info and updates the values, great !

I'd rather have someone use "Get Info", than try to select a suitable dot3
extension (esp. since they can't even see what the mappings are).

---

                                John

---

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 1997 12:23:15 -0700 (PDT)

well, people using my afp/tcp patches can get asun2.0a13-13-2.diff.gz
from ftp.u.washington.edu:/public/asun. it should make those pesky
folder updates go away. this patch has the same behavior w.r.t. how
the extension map is treated as 1.4b2 although i'm not partial to that
feature.

in any case, there's only one place that needs changing to do the
non-dynamic extension mapping. you just need to change setfilparams to
actually write out the type/creator fields.

-a

---

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 1997 12:34:50 -0700 (PDT)

of course, i meant asun2.0a13-14-2.diff.gz. bleah.

-a

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 1997 16:17:49 -0400

> From:    John Grant <[email-masked]>
> To:      [email-masked]

> luck - changes made with "Get Info" don't work, the "guess" always

Your analysis is incorrect of afpd's behavior and Adrien's changes to
it are in correct.

:wes

---

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 1997 13:46:50 -0700 (PDT)

umm, i'm pretty sure that the most recent changes i submitted are
correct modulo a need to cast a couple things as (void *). they should
preserve the same behaviour as 1.4b2. on the other hand, you are
correct in noting that if you change the file type/creator by using
resedit or something, the changes become permanent.

i can create a dummy file and watch its icon change when i change its
extension. i still find it mildly disturbing.

-a

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 1997 18:45:30 -0400

> From:    a sun <[email-masked]>
> To:      [email-masked]

> on the other hand, you are

Precisely my point.  I sorta figured you'd get it...

> extension. i still find it mildly disturbing.

What, only mildly?  The first time I noticed that, I about puked.  It
is extremely handy, tho, when you've got an otherwise untyped file.  Or
if you'd like to change the mapping at a later date, which is the real
point.

:wes