Subject: [netatalk-admins] netatalk-1.4b2+MacOS 7.6.1 problems

From: Marc Heckmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 17:13:59 -0400 (EDT)

Hi all,

	I am running netatalk 1.4b2 on a redhat-4.1 Linux system using
kernel version 2.0.30. The netatalk machine shows up in the chooser list
everywhere, however on MacOS >= 7.6 (with opentransport 1.1.1 or 1.1.2)
when I try to access it, it gives the following error: "No response from
server". Everything works great with MacOS <= 7.6. It's on a straight
forward single subnet network. Does anybody have any idea what may be
causing this? Thank you in advance.

	Marc Heckmann

---

From: Gonzalo Garcia-Agullo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 03:42:12 +0200 (MET DST)

> causing this? Thank you in advance.

I get the same message from time to time. I'm running netatalk 1.4b2 on
Debian/GNU Linux which shares printers and volumes between macos (7.5.x,
7.6.{0,1}) and PC (win 3.1, 95, nt) users.

After a few days/weeks running successfully, the linux box is still in
their choosers but users cannot log in ("No response from server"). In
most cases, several afpd zombies appear and the linux shutdown/reboot is
the only way to recover the netatalk functionality.

I tried to track the scenario, and it seems that this strange behaviour
takes place after several login failures and/or chooser time outs, but I'm
not sure. 

Any ideas?

Regards,
___________________________Gonzalo G. Agullo_________________________________
Joint Research Center/European Commission              Universidad de Sevilla
Institute of Prospective Technological Studies     Fac Informatica, ofic 3.25
World Trade Center, E-41092 Isla de la Cartuja    Av Reina Mercedes - E-41012
Email: <[email-masked]>        <[email-masked]>
Tel: +34 5 448 8362; Fax: 448 8339         Tel: +34 5 455 2791; Fax: 455 2759
http://www.jrc.es/                                       http://www.cs.us.es/

---

From: Walt Bigelow <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 19:12:59 -0700 (PDT)

> takes place after several login failures and/or chooser time outs, but I'm

Well, what I have found to work with my setup:  Slackware Linux 2.0.30
(from the Slackware 96 rel) and netatalk 1.4b2 is the following...

This only works if you have appletalk compiled as a module!!!

Kill all atalk processes.. 
do a lsmod to make sure appletalk is nolonger being used.

rmmod appletalk

modprobe appletalk (or however you like to install modules)

then run you /etc/rc.d/rc.atalk script again.

This clears up the probelms and keeps me from having to reboot!!!

Cheers,
Walt

_________________________
Walt Bigelow
Engineer
Varitel Video, San Francisco

---

From: Jochen Haeberle <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 09:35:25 +0200

At 3:42 Uhr +0200 28-8-97, Gonzalo Garcia-Agullo wrote:

...
   > takes place after several login failures and/or chooser time outs, but I'm

I had this problem a while ago and found that it only happend when other
atalk-routers went down. Defining the exact zone-addresses in the netatalk
config solved the problem for me.

cheers
	Jochen

---

From: Marc Heckmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 17:03:35 -0400 (EDT)

> config solved the problem for me.
Thanks a lot it worked :)

	MArc

---

From: Marc Heckmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 17:04:24 -0400 (EDT)

MArc