Subject: access to unix devices

From: Monika Sester <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 08:55:51 +0200

hi,
i wonder whether it is possible to access unix-devices from a macintosh.
i'm thinking of using a cdrom connected to a unix machine.

any answer ?

greetings from stuttgart
-moni
-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------
dr. monika sester -- institut fuer photogrammetrie -- uni-stuttgart
geschwister-scholl-strasse 24 -- 70174 stuttgart
0711 121 3384

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 10:37:08 +0200 (MET DST)

> i'm thinking of using a cdrom connected to a unix machine.

Jup, but I'm not sure, whether you may access the Resource-Fork of the 
CD-ROM, if it's HFS. There is a Linux Kernel-Module out for accessing 
HFS-Devices, but not currently supporting Resource-Forks in netatalk 
(AppleDouble)Style.
Which kind of Unix do ya think of?

PoC

---

From: Andreas Pieper <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 13:34:42 +0200 (MET DST)

> Which kind of Unix do ya think of?

I had a hfs module for Linux working together with netatalk a while ago (I
dont need it now, so I dumped it).

Its called "hfs.o", information can be found here:

http://www-sccm.stanford.edu/Students/hargrove/HFS/

sleta!!

	aa
	aa

Andreas Pieper                      http://www.icf.de/mego/
Mego Berlin                         mailto:[email-masked]

---

From: Mario Klebsch DG1AM <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 13:38:03 +0200

Hi!

>i'm thinking of using a cdrom connected to a unix machine.

You cannot access UNIX devices from the mac, but you can access the
UNIX filesystem from a mac using an afp server on the UNIX
sastem. However to access a CDROM, it has to be monted on the UNIX
machine. This probably can be done with ISO CDROMs and with MS-DOS
CDROMs, but probably not with Mac CDROMs.

73, Mario
-- 
Mario Klebsch, DG1AM, [email-masked]		+49 531 / 391 - 7457
Institut fuer Robotik und Prozessinformatik der TU Braunschweig
Hamburger Strasse 267, 38114 Braunschweig, Germany

---

From: Juergen Christoffel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 14:54:38 +0200

Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 13:38:03 +0200
   From: Mario Klebsch DG1AM <[email-masked]>

   However to access a CDROM, it has to be monted on the UNIX
   machine. This probably can be done with ISO CDROMs and with MS-DOS
   CDROMs, but probably not with Mac CDROMs.

It definitely can be done. Apple's own AIX based servers can and SGI's
too can mount Macintosh format CD-ROMs and if you can install netatalk
there, you have a CD-ROM server. And of course Linux can do it: see
Paul Hargrove's hfs_fs; http://www-sccm.Stanford.EDU/~hargrove/HFS/
for details.

I'm running a Linux based Appleshare server here at GMD and thanks to
netatalk and hfs_fs it happily serves a dozen Macintosh CD-ROMs to its
clients.

	--jc

-- 
   E-Mail: [email-masked] or one of {ftp,news,[email-masked]
   GMD - German National Research Center for Information Technology

   Superstition brings bad luck. -- Raymond Smullyan

---

From: [email-masked] ([email-masked])
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 10:59:35 -0700

>i'm thinking of using a cdrom connected to a unix machine.

Sure you can. Mountable block devices like hard disk drives can be accessed
by a Mac if the Mac can speak NFS (and if you have NFS software on your
Unix box). Intercon and Thursby both make NFS clients for MacOS that let
you access any NFS volumes through the Chooser--you get a nice little icon
on the desktop which resembles an AFP networked volume.

If you're feeling frisky, you can get MachTen from Tenon Systems. This is a
full-blown Unix clone that runs under MacOS. If includes NFS client
software for your MacOS-only machines. MachTen lets you implement a
full-blown Internet server using a Mac so you get web, ftp, telnet, dns, et
al.

==========================================================================
Alex Alegado, Sysadmin, Digital Imaging Systems Div., Bert-Co Graphics
  Work: 213.669.5737 213.953.6993 Fax 213.350.0839 Pgr (PIN# 82239)
  Home: 818.572.4305 818.618.6735 Cel
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Page me via EMail! Send your msg to [email-masked] | 240char
  or page me via the Web: Visit http://www.pagenet.com/sendpage/ | maximum
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Visit my Internet playground at http://www.webcom.com/alsplace
  Home of the "I Love Sandra Bullock", the "I Love Christina Ricci Too",
  and the "Jennifer Aniston is in the House" Web Pages.
==========================================================================

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 14:53:34 -0400 (EDT)

> >i'm thinking of using a cdrom connected to a unix machine.

Er, have you tried mounting the CD on the Unix box and 'exporting' it
with netatalk (I assume you want to use netatalk, given this list)

[...]
> full-blown Unix clone that runs under MacOS.
What *is* a Unix clone?  Is this like the X-Window 'emulators' that run
on Macs and PCs (I guess they don't use X-Window protocol, they just
act like they do).

MachTen is Unix.  They might not have ponied up the $$ to Novell? SCO?
X-Open? whoever owns the Unix word today. (and who'd have imagined it
might be Novell or SCO!).

MachTen's a bit odd - almost BSD, but not quite.  I've found it useful
- it essentially replaces the MacOS scheduler and slices between Unix
processes and running MacOS.  Let's me telnet to a mac, which it key
when supporting it from another country.

 It will likely die when MacOS runs on NeXTStep - which is also Unix
(or die if Apple goes away).

>  It includes NFS client
> full-blown Internet server using a Mac so you get web, ftp, telnet, 
> dns, et al.

The complexity of Unix with the instability of MacOS!

Try it with netatalk - it just "exports" pieces of the filetree, not
caring whence they come.  The dual fork/.Appledouble issue will be a
problem.

 What's the plan for NeXTMac?  Does this get to (finally) go away?

If you really want Unix, NetBSD/OpenBSD and mkLinux are worthy - though
you can't run MacOS stuff at the same time.

chuck

---

From: Bill Studenmund <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 12:50:29 -0700 (PDT)

> Which kind of Unix do ya think of?

Last time I looked, which was almost a year ago, Paul Hargrove's hfs
module did support netatalk resource forks. You just have to use a mount
option to choose between non, netatalk, CAP, and AppleSingle (?) format.

Take care,

Bill

---

From: David Hamm <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 17:25:44 -0400 (EDT)

I can help you do what you are asking about if you are using Linux.  I have a
server in a service buearu and we mount Mac cdroms in the Linux box quite often
because some of our Macs don't have cdroms in them.

------         David Hamm - [email-masked]           --------