Subject: [netatalk-admins] installing psf on Solaris 2.5

From: Trent Piepho <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 18:04:32 -0700 (PDT)

I'm sorry if this isn't directly netatalk related, but I thought some people
here must have had this same problem.  We have a network with four suns
running Solaris 2.5, and I want to move a laserwriter pro 630 from one of the
sun's parallel port to use netatalk instead.  I installed netatalk ok, and
printing a file with pap seemed to work and was much faster.

So now I've got to get lpr to use psf instead of sending the data to
/dev/bpp0.  This would probably be simple enough if our suns used
/etc/printcap like all the docs talk about.  But there is no /etc/printcap
file!  The sun docs tell how to install printers using admintool, which
doesn't seem to have any concept of filters.  The printer is either local and
attached to some device or remote and speaks the BSD or SYSV protocol.  There
is no "print by calling this program" option.

How do I go about configuring this type of printing enviroment to use
netatalk?  What's the term for this kind of setup anyway?

|Gazing up to the breeze of the heavens \ on a quest, meaning, reason  |
|came to be, how it begun \ all alone in the family of the sun         |
|curiosity teasing everyone \ on our home, third stone from the sun.   |
|Trent Piepho ([email-masked])                   -- Metallica  |