Subject: [netatalk-admins] eth0: Setting Rx mode...?

From: Georg Schwarz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 1997 13:14:35 +0200 (MEST)

when I startup atalkd on Linuux 2.0.29 I get the following messages:

Jul  5 12:57:40 poseidon atalkd[100]: restart (1.4b2+asun2.0a10)
Jul  5 12:57:41 poseidon kernel: eth0: Setting Rx mode to 1 addresses.
Jul  5 12:57:41 poseidon kernel: eth0: Setting Rx mode to 2 addresses.
Jul  5 12:57:41 poseidon atalkd[100]: zip_getnetinfo for eth0
Jul  5 12:58:00 poseidon last message repeated 2 times
Jul  5 12:58:10 poseidon atalkd[100]: config for no router
Jul  5 12:58:11 poseidon atalkd[100]: ready 0/0/0

Do the kernel messages indicate any error, or is it the normal interface
configuration procedure?
Thanks.
As far as I can tell everything seems to run fine.

-- 
Georg Schwarz                             [email-masked]
Institut für Theoretische Physik    Tel. +49 30 314-24254, FAX -21130
Technische Universität Berlin          http://home.pages.de/~schwarz/
Sekr. PN 7-1, Hardenbergstr. 36, D-10623 Berlin            IRC: kuroi

---

From: "Michael M. Freeman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 1997 15:43:51 -0400 (EDT)

> Do the kernel messages indicate any error, or is it the normal interface

Normal configuration messgaes (Multicast).

---

From: [email-masked] (Georg Schwarz)
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 1997 10:58:10 +0200

> Normal configuration messgaes (Multicast).

thanks for confirming this. Does anyone happen to know why atalkd takes
so long to start up? (it's a Pentium 100 with 24 MB RAM, so that should
not be an issue) Is atalk somehow listening to the network waiting for
something (router?)? Could I tell it not to?

-- 
Georg Schwarz     [email-masked], [email-masked]
Institut für Theoretische Physik       +49 30 314-24254, FAX -21130
Technische Universität Berlin        http://home.pages.de/~schwarz/

---

From: Richard Wackerbarth <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 1997 05:37:57 -0500

At 3:58 AM -0500 7/6/97, Georg Schwarz wrote:

>Does anyone happen to know why atalkd takes

Exactly. One of the advantages of the Appletalk protocol is that it is self
configuring.
However this comes at a price. During startup, each host guesses at an
acceptable address and then has to probe the network to see if there is a
conflict.  If the host is a router or other service device, it takes an
address from a reserved range but with the added responsibility of making a
more thorough probe of the network.
Unfortunately, this all takes time. Futhermore, you have to decide on your
address before you can start other Appletalk services.

---

From: Colin Eric Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 1997 11:08:11 -0600 (MDT)

On Sun, 6 Jul 1997, Georg Schwarz wrote:

	[snip]

> something (router?)? Could I tell it not to?

I would assume that this has to do with the fact that Appletalk is a very
"chatty" protocol. I know that in the readme for netatalk it warns that
atalkd should not be started in the background as it has to build a
database. I don't think it's "waiting" for anything, I believe it is
recording the other appletalk devices it finds.

just a guess.

Colin E. Johnson | [email-masked] | http://www.unm.edu/~colinj/
Life is a movie, write your own ending - J. Henson, et al.

---

From: Bill Studenmund <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 1997 14:44:15 -0700 (PDT)

> > something (router?)? Could I tell it not to?

Timeouts. It's waiting to hear from a router, and tries three times, last
I looked.

> recording the other appletalk devices it finds.

Though Appletalk is "chatty", that's the problem only to the extent that
atalkd asks the net for the current configuration.

The database in question includes, among other things, the local Atalk
address. If anything tries to start before that's stable, it'll get
mis-configured.

Take care,

Bill