Subject: [netatalk-admins] init scripts (solution)

From: Marc Matteo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 15:52:40 -0800

Thanks to everyone but especially thanks to asun!

The main problem was that the < 2.0.31 Linux kernels can't delete an
appletalk interface -- hence the error.

If you are like me and timidly running a stock Red Hat release and you've
updated the kernel to 2.0.32 via RPM - don't forget the 2.0.32 headers as
well (doh!).

>From the asun README.LINUX:

4.  SIOCATALKDIFADDR. The current stable (2.0.30) kernel and
    development kernels < 2.1.43 can't delete interfaces. Apply the
    appropriate patch in sys/linux to /usr/src/linux
    (patch -p1 -d /usr/src/linux) to enable interface deletion.
    The latest glibc and libc-5 libraries should have
    an appropriate <netatalk/at.h> header to enable this feature.

Once netatalk was recompiled with the new kernel headers it worked fine.

As for the init script not running on shutdown -- well it's got to be
something painfully obvious that I'm overlooking (admit it, you've done
stuff like that too) especially when I have plenty of others that are
working fine.

Thanks again,
Marc

Marc Matteo
Web Engineer, The Sacramento Bee
(916) 321-1242
http://www.sacbee.com