Subject: [netatalk-admins] read-only directories and missing .AppleDouble entries

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 21:43:14 -0700 (PDT)

i've been looking at the problem w/ copying files without
corresponding .AppleDouble entries, and i don't think netatalk is at
fault. as far as i can tell, the mac side is asking for both the data
and resource forks and failing if it can't open the resource
fork. ugh. needless to say, this screws up netatalk files that only
have a data fork. the only workaround in netatalk i can think of
prevents you from getting the right error if you're actually looking
for a real resource fork. what a mess.

fyi, this affects both 1.4b2 and my patches.

something that would be interesting to know is whether or not this
occurs under 7.x as well as os8 and if it occurs under appleshare
clients < 3.7. 

-a

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 00:58:18 -0400

> From:    a sun <[email-masked]>
> To:      [email-masked]

> fault.

I think I have this problem fixed.  I sent the patch to Jay, who
reported the problem.  I figured I'd give him a chance to tell me if it
works before I foist it on the rest of y'all.

:wes