Subject: Speed problems on Linux

From: Niklas Wikström <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 09:54:36 +0200

Hi,

I am running netatalk on a Linux kernel version 2.0.18. I have tried both
the 1.3.3 as well as the 1.4 beta version of netatalk but I am having the
same problems.

Problem: Copying files between the connected Macs and the Linux box is
extremely slow, about 5-10 k/sec wich I believe is way below expected.
Excluding the speed problem everything appears to work as it should. Has
anyone been experiencing similar problems.

Could other machines connected to the net influence the behaviour of
netatalk. The linux box is attached to a net running both macs as well as
PC:s. The PC:s are talking APX using a NetWare server. Could this NetWare
server have any effect on the speed.

Would appreciate some help on this.

Thanks in advance

Niklas

******************************************
Niklas Wikström
Deptartment of Botany
Stockholm university
S-106 91 Stockholm

Tel:        +46 8 163927
Fax:       +46 8 162577
e-mail:   [email-masked]
******************************************

---

From: Paul Wilkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 18:10:33 +1000 (EST)

> anyone been experiencing similar problems.

Are the macs and server on the same segment? If so, there's something 
very dodge with your network. Trouble is, debugging Appletalk's a bitch.

First, run statnet to see your loading on the network. If the segment's 
saturated, there's your problem.
Second, make sure ALL macs are talking Ethertalk II.
3, use only 1 or 2 cable ranges. Please let me know if you are using 
  a _large_ cable range like 100, and if this fixes the problem.
 
> server have any effect on the speed.

Yes if the network is heavily loaded. Also, it could be a problem if 
you're running 802.3 as your frame type. (802.3 has no way of 
differentiating protocols). You can force the PC's driver to use 
802.2 SNAP in the .cfg file, and I'd recommend you do that. EthertalkII 
as a frame type is also cool.

Hope something here helps.

Paul

        TTT    M M M  PPP
         T     MMMMM  PPPP   
         T     M M M  P
                        
Disclaimer:
The views herein expressed do not necessarily reflect those of 
TMP Worldwide or its affiliated companies.

---

From: Thomas Lamy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 09:13:57 +0000

>anyone been experiencing similar problems.
As far as I can tell, 1.4b2 is way faster than 1.3.3, and has many bugs fixed.
Personally I favor running 1.4b2.
The biggest performance leaks for netatalk are the network adaptor and the
disk.
I tried various cards on my linux box, and found most ne2000 clones to be
extremely slow. 3Com cards and the SMC Ultra worked perfectly for me, as
they achieve good throughput with less cpu load.

Another performance issue is the mac itself. If you have a mac which _must
not_ run Open Transport, don't do so. The Apple Share client on the mac is
not OT native, but uses some compatibility routines which are extremely
slow.
I tried a Quadra 950 with and without OT, with OT, i got 300-400 k/sec, and
wihout OT 700-750 k/sec (raw read throughput).

>server have any effect on the speed.

This should not affect the netatalk server itself. You should only get a
speed decrease if the network is really busy. Try in non-busy hours, and
test with only the netatalk server and your mac in a 'private' network.
>Would appreciate some help on this.
What is your exact configuration (Server: Processor/Speed, RAM, network
card, disk controller, disk; Mac: Model, System Software, File Copy
Extensions (such as Speed Copy, Copy Doubler etc), transport software (Open
Transport / Classic network software) ???

>Niklas

Thomas Lamy                    Vision Connect GmbH    Telefon: (089) 356256-35
Database Development Division  Taunusstraße 51        Telefax: (089) 356256-56
mailto:[email-masked]    80807 München          http://www.v-connect.com/

---

From: Paul Wilkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 18:21:05 +1000 (EST)

> Second, make sure ALL macs are talking Ethertalk II.
Oops,
that should have read
Second, make sure ALL macs are talking Appletalk phase II.

Paul

        TTT    M M M  PPP
         T     MMMMM  PPPP   
         T     M M M  P
                        
Disclaimer:

---

From: David Hartmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 11:28:01 -0700

>anyone been experiencing similar problems.

I have exactly the same problem.  Here are some details about my setup:

- running netatlk 1.3.3 on one linux 2.0.29 box and 1.4b2 on another.
Copying files is equally slow to either.

- of the three macs on our net, only one of them has slow access to
netatalk and the other two work fine. All three are powermacs running
System 7.6.1 and Open Transport 1.1.2 over built-in ethernet.

- copying many very small files goes quickly, while even a single large
file (say > 64K) gets bogged down terribly.

- using Fetch 3.0.3 to transfer my test files via FTP, I get about 600,000
bytes/sec, or about 60 times faster than netatalk.

- Installing and removing SpeedDoubler 2.0.3 has no effect on the problem.

- The problem occurs with either AppleShare workstation version 3.6.4 or 3.6.5.

Any ideas?

David

---

From: David Hamm <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 03:13:14 -0400 (EDT)

>System 7.6.1 and Open Transport 1.1.2 over built-in ethernet.
Take a look at your inits.  I have a number of Macs here at work and usualy the
problem lies within the inits.

>bytes/sec, or about 60 times faster than netatalk.
FTP is a _much_ more efficient way to trasnfer data.  I even heard that FTP is
faster than nfs.

------         David Hamm - [email-masked]           --------

---

From: Richard Knuckey <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 21:59:18 +1200

>>anyone been experiencing similar problems.

Are you using an external tranceiver? If so, check that it is plugged in
corectly. I know this seems strange, but what can happen is that the
connector gets pulled down by the weight of the transceiver and cuses it to
not make a 100% connection on the top half of the connector. The symptons
are very slow AppleTalk. To fix, simply make sure the connector has a level
path to the socket. (ie have it so there is some pressure being put onto
the connector by sitting the transeiver on the bench behind the computer so
the connector is level.)

This problem seems to be most prominent on 7200 design motherboards, go
fig. All I knoe is that I have had this exact same problem on 3
PowerCurve/Center 120's and wiggling abnout the connector fixed it.

---

From: David Hartmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 08:22:47 -0700

Greetings,

Good news, sort of.  The appleshare performance from my Mac to my linux
netatalk servers is now back to normal speed (~300K/sec).  Here's how I
"fixed" it.

I used Extensions Manager and chose the 7.6.1 base set, restarted, and
appleshare started working well again.  I then added extensions/control
panels back in one at a time, restarted, and checked to see whether
appleshare still worked well.  Unfortunately, I was able to add *all* my
extensions back in without causing performance to drop.

So now my Mac is running the same set of extensions it did yesterday, only
now it works.  Why? Beats me.  I'd be interested to hear if other folks are
able to fix the problem by rebooting with minimal extensions once.

thanks for all the help.

David