Subject: [netatalk-admins] More System 8 / 1.4b2 problems

From: Niall O Broin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 14:45:32 +0000

I have a site where we've been using 1.3.3 and various versions of
System 7 for some time and we were as happy as pigs in ****. Then the
fatal decision was made to go to System 8. This seemed to work for some
time but then with one folder we started getting the dancing icons/file
count which is, I gather, a known problem.
(In our case, the file count would go from X gradually up to 2X in a
minute or so, and then back down to X again - is this the common fault
?)

Interestingly, we only got that in a folder of files which didn't have
resource forks - is this maybe a factor ? (Background - the server is a
Linux box and a process is run there which extracts a bunch of images
from an archive and puts them in a folder. From there, they're put onto
a Zip disk using a Mac and sent to customers. One customer has changed
to the PC platform [silly customer] and hence we needed to produce the
same files in a PC happy format i.e. 8.3 names. So, I modified the
server script to make hard links to the data forks of the image files in
a separate folder and it is this folder which suffers from the dancing
icons. I suspect that this may be related to the lack of resource forks,
but am I right  ? 

A large number of files disappeared from the server and when I restored
them from tape, they also appeared in one Mac's wastebasket (i.e. as
well as where they should be).  I figured this might be related to some
kind of inconsistency on the server's filesystem so I shut it down and
checked the filesystem. I also removed the Network Trash Folder - this
was not empty after all the Macs had disconnected from the network -
shouldn't it be ?

This seemed to fix that problem, but since then, we've had problems with
files put in the trash on one Mac becoming visible in the trash on
another Mac.

Any sane comments would be appreciated, before it drives us insane :-) 
BTW I haven't yet installed the asun modifications. I got them, but the
README mentions mostly TCP/IP support which I'm not using yet. It also
mentions large volume support, and I am using large volumes (4G) but I
never had any problems with this with 1.3.3 and 7.5/7.6 clients.

-- 
Kindest regards,

Niall  O Broin		

UNIX Network Administrator 		 	[email-masked]
Ground Systems Engineering Department		Ph./Fax  +49 6151 90 3619/2179
European Space Operations Centre, Darmstadt, Germany

---

From: William Uther <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 12:15:29 -0500

Hi,
  I've also just recently noticed a very strange problem.  I have 1.4b2
with the system 8 patches.  That has been fine for about a month or two,
then yesterday, I started accessing a new directory.  There were some
sym-linked files in that directory.  Netatalk would only show the
sym-links, not the original files.
  More specifically, the original files did the system 8 dancing thing.  Is
the standard system 8 patch confused by sym-links?

\x/ill       :-}

William Uther                If at first you DO succeed,
[email-masked]                 try not to look astonished.
Dept. of Computer Science,
Carnegie Mellon University         http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~will/

---

From: Helge Münnich <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 1997 15:12:51 +0100

hi
we are using Netatalk 1.4b2 with the macos8-patch from wesley under
Linux.
As far we know the patch works and (as suggested before) the dancing
icons only seem to appear in volumes where some files/links don't have a
regular resourcefork. Just as a hint.
So far our regular mac_users aren´t concerned and (!) Netatalk works
better than our NT (4.00.83).
B.d. Helge and Thomas
-- 
[email-masked]			Helge Münnich
Tel.: +49 761 290035			Schauinslandstr. 26c 
Fax : +49 761 290034			D-79100 Freiburg