Subject: [netatalk-admins] Capacity issues...

From: "Marc A. Boschma" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 10:13:12 +1000 (EST)

Has anyone determined just how many connections a netatalked host can
handle (assume only file shares). ?

Is it any better or worse than the afs of TCP/IP ? I am assuming it is
in that there is a socket per file share open all the time.

Have I missed anything ?

Marc B.
-------
  _-_|\   Marc A. Boschma           Email: [email-masked]
 /     \  Snr. Internet Specialist  Phone: +61 3 9634 8798 Fax: +61 3 9634 5469
 \_.^\*/  Telstra Corporation       Smail: Locked Bag No. 4840
      v                                    Melbourne, VIC 8100, Australia

---

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 13:40:09 -0700 (PDT)

theoretically, it's probably limited by the max number of processes
that you can have running on your machine and the amount of memory you
have. if you're running under appletalk, however, i think you might be
restricted by the number of ports a ddp address can have (i think it's
254 or something like that). i'm not sure if running multiple copies
of afpd w/ appropriate flags will circumvent that or not. 

anyways, i think i'll look into seeing how difficult it will be to
enable the use of an afpd.conf for configuration of multiple
servers. it probably won't be too bad except for the fact that a bunch
of the stuff in afpd assumes that only one value exists for various
configuration options.

-adrian

---

From: Stefan Bethke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 23:06:44 +0200

>of afpd w/ appropriate flags will circumvent that or not.
254: 0 and 255 are reserved. Additionally, the standard implementation is
to have a Server Listening Socket (SLS) plus one Server Session Socket
(SSS) for each session that is active. Minus the sockets atalkd uses, minus
any papd's, ...

--
Stefan Bethke
Promo Datentechnik      |  Tel. +49-40-851744-0
+ Systemberatung GmbH   |  Fax. +49-40-851744-44
Eduardstrasse 46-48     |  e-mail: [email-masked]
D-20257 Hamburg         |  http://www.Promo.DE/