Subject: zone question

From: Andrew Watson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 15:46:07 -0400

>as far as I know, you cant define a zone on one network interface only!

does this mean that i can't setup a zone in my apartment with just one
ethernet card in my linux box?  i figured that to have two zones i would
need two linux boxes but i already have that.  this is most distressing.

andrew watson

System Administrator
Interactive Distance Learning Office
Florida State University
http://www.idl.fsu.edu or http://mac.fsu.edu
http://www.gleep.org

---

From: Bill Studenmund <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 15:41:39 -0700 (PDT)

> need two linux boxes but i already have that.  this is most distressing.

Actually, you can't be a seed router under Netatalk with only one
interface. I guess the logic's that you can't "route" if you only have one
interface. :-)

But everything'll still work, you just won't have zone names.

Take care,

Bill

---

From: 藤原__誠/ Makoto Fujiwara <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 09:06:31 +0900

skippy> Actually, you can't be a seed router under Netatalk with only one
skippy> interface. I guess the logic's that you can't "route" if you only have one
skippy> interface. :-)
skippy> 
skippy> But everything'll still work, you just won't have zone names.

  I do have the same situation with several Mac and one Netatalk 1.4b2 with
SunOS 4.1.4 ( with only one Ethernet Interface :-). Even I have Ethernet -> 
localtalk Printer interface connected.

  I do not have the zone. But everything is OK except it looks strange
to those who are familiar with Chooser window(dialog) splitted and
lower window shows zone names.
  I believe it is supposed to be that and I am very happy on that.

"Yannai, do you have any practical problems ?"

Makoto Fujiwara.
---
(藤原)

---

From: Hal Wine <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 08:01:13 -0400

>need two linux boxes but i already have that.  this is most distressing.

To clarify, you'll have a zone (just one) that will be the default zone.  
(You can't have multiple zones without an AppleTalk router or bridge.  But 
there's no advantage to multiple zones until you have *lots* of traffic or 
devices -- unlikely in your apartment.)

You won't be able to name that one zone, but that's okay, since you won't 
need to distinguish it from any other. (The chooser won't present a zone 
list.)

Having only one zone won't affect operation at all.  Many (most?) Macs 
opperate in single zone environments quite happily.

-- 
Hal Wine <[email-masked]>				DTOR Consulting