Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.0a11 bug?

From: Duncan Sinclair <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 15:04:35 +0100

[email-masked] writes:
>Hi folks,
>I've just installed netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.0a11 and I seem to have discovered
>a few "undocumented features" namely:
>
> [[ Can't run two copies of "asun" netatalk. ]]

This will be because there will only be one "well-known" port, and you
can't have two servers listening to the same port.

The port is "well-known" in that the client has to know that that's where
the server is listening.  So, for example, 25 is the "well-known" port
number of the SMTP mail protocol.

(sorry if this is too noddy for you.)

AppleTalk gets round this by not having "well-known" ports, but instead
puts the port number in the NBP record.

There are two solutions:
   1) Acquire a second IP number (by way of a virtual interface) and
      persuade the two afpd to run on different interfaces.
   2) Hack afpd to allow multiple virtual servers from the one afpd.
      (Sort-of like a papd.conf file for afpd.)

The second is the correct solution.

Duncan Sinclair.

---

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 10:01:16 -0700 (PDT)

i have a question here. how important is it to be able to run multiple
copies of afpd on the same machine? you can "export" multiple volumes
w/ just one running copy of afpd and none of the hassle. 

fyi, you can currently run a second copy of afpd if you choose another
name, don't mind it not running afp/tcp, and specify a different lock
file (this is the big change from 1.4b2). needless to say, unless you
specify different AppleVolumes.*, it's not going to be much use
besides providing yet another nbp entry for the same service.

i can stick in yet another option which allows you to specify an
alternative port. the nbp entry will automatically redirect people to
that port. i guess that's actually a 3rd option and simple enough to
do. can people live w/ having to something like the following?

	afpd
	afpd -P /var/lock/server2.lock -f server2.default -s \
	     server2.system -n server2 -S <IP Port>

-a

---

From: Wes Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 13:31:54 -0400 (EDT)

> besides providing yet another nbp entry for the same service.

The problem that I see is that there is a limitation in the AppleTalk
protocol that only lets a small number of machines connect to the server.
(small number being 64 or 128, but I do not remember exactly)  This is
significant in an enviroment where your number of users is 2 or 3 orders of
magnitude greater than this limit in AppleTalk.

Novell gets around this someway with their AppleTalk stuff for Novell 4.x.
when they have a user licence that exceeds the limit in the protocol.
I have not had the time to explore exactly how they do it.

> 	     server2.system -n server2 -S <IP Port>

Wes
--- 
Wes Brown
[email-masked]		[email-masked]
http://prozac.cwru.edu/wes/About.me.html
KB8TGR

---

From: Morio Taneda <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 1997 12:15:57

>w/ just one running copy of afpd and none of the hassle. 

Don't forget, you currently can't log on to different volumes on a single afpd
as different users. That's why i am running two afpds (non-TCP).

Morio Taneda
[email-masked]