Subject: [netatalk-admins] Routing question

From: Mario Haza <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 20:07:14 -0500 (CDT)

I have a RedHat 4.2 (kernel 2.0.30) for SPARC (SS4) and NetAtalk 1.4b2
ported for SPARC.

I configured atalkd.conf with the -seed parameter with the porpouse to
make netatalk define a zone (like the uar on CAP).

I am wondering if this make sense or i have to use another software to
make zones.

Thanks.

*************************************************************************
*                                                      _                *
*  Mario "Mago" Haza.                                 / \       ___     *
*  Centro de Investigacion en Computacion Educativa   \  \     /\_/     *
*  Coordinacion de Soporte Tecnico                     \  \   /  /      *
*   Research Center for Computing & Education           \  \ /  /       *
*   Technical Support                                   / O   O \       *
*                                                      |   >o<   |      *
*  e-mail: [email-masked]                  \ _[|]_ /       *
*          [email-masked]                ____{||}___{||}____  *
*          [email-masked]                     |_________________|  *
*                                                     |           |     *
*  Tel. (5) 627-0210 Ext. 8530 u 8527                 |           |     *
*       Ciudad de Mexico (Mexico City)                |           |     *
*                                                     |___________|     *
*                                                                       *
*************************************************************************

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 08:13:42 +0200

>I am wondering if this make sense or i have to use another software to

You'll have to use more than one Interface to make atalkd seed. Use the dummy-interface for this.
Please shorten your really too big footer.

:wq! PoC

---

From: Andrew Solmssen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 01:38:34 -0700 (PDT)

Could you be more specific about how to do this - I'm having an
interesting problem with atalkd.  I have a small Appletalk net running
phase 2 with a range of 10000-10000. The only router on the net is a Shiva
Lanrover running in seed mode propagating the above net as "Metron ET" and
keeping the dialup ports in a net numbered 10021 and called "Metron
Dial-In".  I'm running straight 1.4b2 netatalk on Red Hat 4.2 Linux.  All
was well until ... (drum roll, please)

The linux box has an 3com 3c905 which was falling victim to a transmit
timeout problem in the driver, causing all network communication to cease. 
I replaced the driver with the latest from Donald Becker's Vortex web
page, and my transmit timeouts have stopped, but now when atalkd rewrites
the conf file at load time, it writes something like

eth0 -phase 2 -net 0-62580 -addr 62580.113

and the linux box can be seen in the chooser but not logged into. If I
change the Lanrover to seed a range like 10000-10001, then atalkd seems to
do the right thing.  

Questions:

Is a phase 2 range of X-X valid?  Or must it be X-Y where
Y is greater than but not equal to X?

Why would something like this only show up with the new 3c59x.c file -
that seems lower level then netatalk would be fooling with... 

I guess I could just leave things with the 10000-10001 net range, but this
affects my sense of network esthetics negatively.  I guess I'm having a
conceptual problem with phase 2 - does there need to be a one-to-one
mapping between net numbers and zone names?  If not, is there any
disadvantage or advantage to a net that has a couple of numbers included?
What is the advantage in general of zones that encompass more than one net
number?

On a more general note - I know that on a net with multiple zones I use
the Network or Appletalk control panel to assign the Mac to a zone, but
as an network manager, how do I enforce that selection?  What's to keep my
users from saying I don't want to be in the Work zone, I'd rather be in
the Fun zone, and changing this themselves? Can I assign Macs to zones
remotely?

Thanks for any help and knowledge you can provide...

---- Andrew

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Andrew Solmssen                              Network Manager
[email-masked]                       Metron, Inc.
619-792-8904                                 512 Via de la Valle, Ste. 301    
619-792-2719 FAX                             Solana Beach, CA 92075

On Wed, 15 Oct 1997, Patrik Schindler wrote:

> You'll have to use more than one Interface to make atalkd seed. Use the
> dummy-interface for this.  Please shorten your really too big footer. 
> 
> :wq! PoC

---

From: Bill Studenmund <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 15:17:01 -0700 (PDT)

> Y is greater than but not equal to X?

It is very valid. Almost all of the phase 2 nets at Stanford are X-X.

> that seems lower level then netatalk would be fooling with... 

I'd bet it's something to do with the way the multicast addressing gets
set up.

> What is the advantage in general of zones that encompass more than one net

I doubt covering 2 nets would matter much, though you're right; it lacks
athetics.

The advantage to a zone covering multiple nets is that computer users can
logically assosciate themselves with their peers. We have computers on
ether and LocalTalk (via a FastPath), and it's nice for everyone to be in
the same zone.

> the Fun zone, and changing this themselves? Can I assign Macs to zones

You might be able to do something w/ AppleEvents, but does it matter?
These users can only choose from zones you've made available. They can't
add zones. Since they can get at servers in all zones, the only
differances from being in another zone are that 1) other computers have to
know where to find them (say for personal file sharing), and 2) they may
have to manually switch zones more or less frequently in the chooser to
find resources.

Take care,

Bill

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 21:07:34 -0400

> From:    Andrew Solmssen <[email-masked]>
> To:      Netatalk List <[email-masked]>

> and the linux box can be seen in the chooser but not logged into.

You need to send the contents of your syslog messages.  I'm not sure
what the default config is on Linux, as I changed mine long ago.  Both
atalkd and afpd log to the DAEMON facility.  I'm particularly
interested in the startup messages that atalkd generates.

:wes

---

From: Alistair Riddell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 19:05:32 +0100 (BST)

[snip]
> Y is greater than but not equal to X?

It is indeed valid.

[snippage - sorry can't help]
> the Fun zone, and changing this themselves? Can I assign Macs to zones

Unfortunately there is no way to enforce this - the only thing you can do
is put all the machines you want to appear in zone Foo in a separate
physical network from the machines you want to appear in zone Bar and
connect them with a router. The closest you can get is to set the zone in
the Appletalk control panel and then lock it with a password. Most users
are insufficiently clued to work out how to get round that.

--
Alistair Riddell - BOFH
IT Support Department, George Watson's College, Edinburgh
Tel: +44 131 447 7931 Ext 176       Fax: +44 131 452 8594

---

From: Kevin Heflin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 01:20:07 -0500 (CDT)

Currently running the latest version of Netatalk with AppleshareIP
support. 

Trying to use it as a file server/backup for our Macintosh clients.

For the most part works great, having a problem with some Mac files
getting trashed however.

Back up files to it, and at first they appear fine. Go back to retreive
these files at a later date. And they are no longer recognized for the
file types that they should be. And are unable to open them any longer.

The first time I noticed this was with a Photoshop file. I had given the
file a .PS extention. From what I could tell, the Mac thought it was a
Postscript file. I started giving my photoshop files a .psh extension and
added this extension to the AppleVolumes.system file. This seemed to help.

What about mac binary files that don't have an extension.. is there any
hope... Or do I just need to add more extensions to the AppleVolume.system
file, and make sure all my Mac files have an appropriate extension?

Help comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Kevin

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Kevin Heflin          | ShreveNet, Inc.      | Ph:318.222.2638 x103
VP/Mac Tech           | 333 Texas St #619    | FAX:318.221.6612
[email-masked]    | Shreveport, LA 71101 | http://www.shreve.net
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 10:40:45 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi,

> file, and make sure all my Mac files have an appropriate extension?

I don't think so, I do not have much extensions in my File. But I've 
disabled CRLF-Conversion in afpd's Makefile and all problems were gone
forever.

:wq! PoC