Subject: [netatalk-admins] NetPresenz mounting CAP vs. netatalk

From: John Greene <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 14:44:28 -0500

Hi --

We've been running NetPresenz for a while now and we have a
CAP volume mount automatically when anonymous users login
(with smnt MacPublic:Public File Server@zone).  Since NetP 4.1
this has been super fast and wonderful...

Today we moved our Public Server from a DEC Alpha running cap
to a linux box running netAtalk.... Now we can't successfully
mount volumes with smnt.

Help?

Thanks....

--
                     .
Qapla',    .       '      John Greene  -  Associate Software Specialist
           .   *    .     Computer Science Computing Facility  -  UMass
                  `       +++++++++++++  BoB Booo oooooo  +++++++++++++
                          Web page:  <http://www.cs.umass.edu/~greene/>
-jg                       Mac Resources:  <http://www.cs.umass.edu/mac>

* Finger @darkstar.cs.umass.edu for AKOinfo, including PGP public key *

---

From: Palle Girgensohn <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 1997 00:13:14 +0200

John,

Your problem might be related to the fact that NetaTalk doesn't support
aliases. Actually, Netatalk dosn't support folder identies, while CAP
can be set up with an extra daemon (sorry, can't remember the name.
afpidsrv something?) that handles the file/folder identities. I'm not
sure, but I think that this also goes for the volumes. For now, I don't
think there is a solution to this in Netatalk, but I may be wrong.

Regards,
Palle