Subject: [netatalk-admins] init scripts

From: Marc Matteo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 11:13:39 -0800

Here's an odd one(s).

I have netatalk 1.4b2asun16 running on a Red Hat 4.2 machine.  With the
'default' rc.atalk.bsd init script there's no clean shutdown of netatalk
and as a result my Mac users experience hangs when the Linux machine is
rebooted (rather than a dialog box telling them the server shutdown).  Some
of the atalk directories are NFS mounts and NFS complains that the
directories are in use when it tries to shut down as well.

So to fix this I opted to try to use the 'rc.atalk.sysv' script that
handles the 'stop' parameter.  There are two problems with this.

1) Run manually the script shuts down the appletalk stuff apperently just
fine and my Mac users don't hang.  Problem is I can't restart the 'atalk'
deamon again - it complains about a child dying - and I have to reboot.

2) On shutdown the script fails to run at all (causing more of the problems
above) even though all of the other shutdown/reboot scripts execute just
fine.  Now this probably isn't a neteatalk problem at all but I thought I'd
bring it up.

Anyone have ideas?

Marc

Marc Matteo
Web Engineer, The Sacramento Bee
(916) 321-1242
http://www.sacbee.com

---

From: Mark Donnelly <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 1997 14:59:27 -0600

On Mon, 1 Dec 1997 11:13:39 -0800 [email-masked] (Marc Matteo)

>deamon again - it complains about a child dying - and I have to reboot.

Well, I've never gotten around this one myself.  On Linux(which I assume
you have), I hear that kernel & libc patches will allow that to happen,
although I've never done it.  One hack-around is to compile appletalk as
a module, then unload & re-load it when you want to restart the daemon.
Another hack-around is to use IP Aliasing (having multiple addresses on
one net card).  I've found that I can bring atalkd back up by enabling a
virtual address, then setting atalkd to use eth0:1.  As I said, these
are hack-arounds.

>fine.  Now this probably isn't a neteatalk problem at all but I thought
I'd

Make sure that, again using RedHat Linux's scripts (I'm not real sure of
anything else), you have a 'K' script.  Specifically, if you have a
'S65atalk', symlink that to 'K65atalk'.  If that doesn't work, make sure
that that 'K' script is in all your /etc/rc.d/rcX.d directories.

Hope this helps,
--Mark
   "I think so Brain, but if they called them sad meals, then 
    no one would buy them."