Subject: [netatalk-admins] fwd'd mesg

From: Evan P Cordes <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 05 Jul 1997 19:03:03 -0400

------- Forwarded Message

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 97 20:51:56 CDT
To: <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
Subject: AppleVolumes.system vs. AppleVolumes.default

William R. Dickson <[email-masked]> asks:
>Does the AppleVolumes.default file really have any function?  When I
>remove it, my home directory still shows up in the chooser, whether I have
>a $HOME/.AppleVolumes file or not.  And when I add pathnames to it, no
>additional volumes show up in the chooser.  I have to add those to the
>AppleVolumes.system file.
>
>Is there any reason I shouldn't delete AppleVolumes.default?
>
>- -Bill
>
>- -- 
> _________________________________________________________________________
> William R. Dickson - Technical Support               [email-masked]
> Northwest Nexus - Professional Internet Services         Bellevue, WA USA
> Voice: 425 455-3505  Web: http://www.nwnexus.com/  Info: [email-masked]

Bill --

 - AppleVolumes.system affects every user,
 - $HOME/AppleVolumes (or $HOME/.AppleVolumes) affects the user whose 
   home it's in,
 - and AppleVolumes.default is used in place of $HOME/[.]AppleVolumes
   for anyone who doesn't have one.

Thus, for example, you could make AppleVolumes.system contain

        /usr/local/macapps  "Shared Applications"

..and AppleVolumes.default could contain

        ~/  "My Home Directory"

This way, any user on the system will see the Shared Applications drive,
and they will also see their home directory unless they customize it
away by creating a $HOME/[.]AppleVolumes file -- if they do that, then
they'll still see the Shared Applications, but the contents of their own
personal AppleVolumes file will override AppleVolumes.default.

The system makes it easy for you to set it up in a way that works for 
all your users, but still lets them customize their own setups if they 
so choose.

I hope this explanation is both helpful and accurate!  :)

	   -- Mark

Mark Tomory
Carthage College
Kenosha, WI, USA

------- End of Forwarded Message