Subject: [netatalk-admins] Filesharing Mac & PC

From: Christian Jung <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 19:47:51 +0100

Hi,

I have installed netatalk 1.4b2 and a Samba-Server (for Windows-Clients) on
a Linux box to share files (PC/Mac) on the Linux Server. I´m still a bit
confused about Apple Filehandling, so some questions appeared and I hope
for some help.

I moved some Word documents (.doc in PC) to Linux and loaded them on the
Mac -> works fine.
Then I moved some HTML and GIF Files from the PC to the Linux box and tried
to open them with the Mac
Result: The Mac claims that he can not open the file because it has not
been found !? The File and directory permissions are far open (rwx for
owner/group/other) so the files should we loadable.
So I can see them on the Mac, but loading is not possible (BTW all that
happening with OS 8.0)
The Mac even shows only the Standard-Icon for these documents.
Anyone a clue? 

BTW Is there a source of information about these (for a PC user) confusing
.Apple.. files? 

Thanks in advance
Christian

---

From: Andrew Solmssen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 11:10:01 -0800 (PST)

file names are too long ...  Mac files must be <= 31 characters

---- Andrew

---

From: Marc Matteo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 14:46:21 -0800

On 12/17/97, Christian Jung wrote:

>been found !?

>The Mac even shows only the Standard-Icon for these documents.

Check your "AppleVolumes.system" file.  It maps the PC suffix to a Mac
type/creator.  Make sure you have something like:

.html   TEXT    MOSS

This will make .html files show up as Netscape files.

.gif    GIFf    8BIM

This will make .gif files show up a Photoshop files.

Hope this helps some...

Marc

Marc Matteo
Web Engineer, The Sacramento Bee
(916) 321-1242
http://www.sacbee.com