Subject: problems compiling on a Solaris x86 machine

From: Dejan Ilic <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 00:06:17 +0200 (MET DST)

A lot of the solaris code seems to be made for sparc-machines. Im running
solaris on a pentium.

First "-mno-app-regs -munaligned-doubles" flags doesnt work on solaris_x86 
2.5 with gcc 2.7.2.2 so that part had to be commented out.

I found that the little_endian parts were commented out in
./sys/solaris/ddp.h but enabling them makes the code compile a little more
and then I get out below. I need help to get rid of it.

make[1]: Entering directory
`/localusers/dejan/Incoming/netatalk/sys/solaris'
gcc -D_KERNEL -fpcc-struct-return -D__svr4__ -DSOLARIS -O -I../../include
-I../netatalk   -c dlpi.c
In file included from dlpi.c:54:
ddp.h:106: duplicate member `dub_sum'
ddp.h:107: duplicate member `dub_len'
ddp.h:108: duplicate member `dub_hops'
ddp.h:109: duplicate member `dub_pad'
make[1]: *** [dlpi.o] Error 1

I also strongly dislike that there exists things like "ddp.h" on three
places, all off them different.

> find . | grep ddp.h
./include/atalk/ddp.h
./sys/netatalk/ddp.h
./sys/solaris/ddp.h

There are probaly more cases like that.

 Any clues when next version with all new patches will be out ?

=====================================================================
Dejan Ilic, Tech Univ. of Linkoping, Sweden   Phone: +46-13-473 01 06
Email: [email-masked]   Web: http://www.lysator.liu.se/~svedja

"I may look like The Devil but i'm an angel deep down in my heart"
=====================================================================
[finger -l [email-masked] for public PGP key]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 01:38:49 -0400

> From:    Dejan Ilic <[email-masked]>
> To:      [email-masked]

> Any clues when next version with all new patches will be out ?

No, I don't like to give clues.  Current plans are to include patches
from folks for the Solaris stuff.  I have a few changes I've made, as
well.  Then, once 1.4 final is out, I'm going to scrap the current
Solaris kernel module and rewrite it.  It's just too badly designed to
be a starting point.  No routing, in correct philosophy for packet
delivery, not enough state at the correct points.  Bad design.  The new
Solaris code will be nicer.  But, I promise not to start it until I get
the 1.4 final out.

:wes

---

From: stephen farrell <[email-masked]>
Date: 21 Jun 1997 11:56:45 -0500

> Solaris code will be nicer.  But, I promise not to start it until I get

Just out of curiousity, have you gotten the new academic free source
license of solaris?

--sf