Subject: $USER variable in AppleVolumes.system?

From: [email-masked] (William R. Dickson)
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 1997 14:01:39 -0700

(A copy of this message has also been posted to the following newsgroups:
comp.protocols.appletalk)

I'm wondering if this kind of thing is possible with netatalk:

Say I've got lots of users, so many that I don't want to be creating a
.AppleVolumes file in each of their home directories.  For the sake of
argument, let's pretend that five is such a large number.

Now, I want every user, when s/he connects, to see two things in the
chooser -- the user's home directory, an the user's personal web
directory.  (Again, for the sake of argument, linking the web directory
into the home directory isn't possible, due to a hypothetical complicated
nfsmount issue.)

Say I have the real directories:

/www/users/andrea
/www/users/bob
/www/users/chris
/www/users/deanna
/www/users/effie

Can I do something like this in AppleVolumes.system or AppleVolumes.default?:

/www/users/$USER     "User WWW Directory"

I know I can't do that exactly, because I tried it and it didn't work.  Is
there another way?

-Bill

-- 
 _________________________________________________________________________
 William R. Dickson - Technical Support               [email-masked]
 Northwest Nexus - Professional Internet Services         Bellevue, WA USA
 Voice: 425 455-3505  Web: http://www.nwnexus.com/  Info: [email-masked]

---

From: "Jeremy A. Gilbert" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 1997 18:45:44 -0400 (EDT)

> /www/users/effie

maybe something quick like this might do the trick, although i'd test it
first. :)

#!/usr/bin/perl

foreach( `ls /www/users/*' )
{
	open FOO, ">$_/.AppleVolumes" or die;
	print FOO "$_ \'Users WWW Directory\'\n/usr/mac \'Regular Stuff\'";
	close FOO;
}

---

From: Tim Rand <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 1997 12:26:48 -0500

>into the home directory isn't possible, due to a hypothetical complicated

I accomplish this in the following manner:

Using NCSA's HTTPD naming scheme of a directory underneath the user's home
of $HOME/public_html, all you have to do is estabilsh in your
/usr/local/atalk/etc/AppleVolumes.default file, a reference to the user's
public _html directory.

My AppleVolumes.default file is as follows:

# This file may look empty when viewed with "vi".  In fact, there is one
# '~', so users with no AppleVolumes file in their home directory get
# their home directory by default.
~
~/public_html
/production /production
/production/ioq/mac "Mass Storage"
/prod2      /prod2
/red        /red
/blue       /blue
/yellow     /yellow
/green      /green
/cdrom      /cdrom

Now, if your directory structure is different, then you might have to
establish some links to make this work.

---
Tim Rand				    [email-masked]
VP Information Systems                      +1-314-278-8888 (voice)
Datapage Technologies International, Inc.   +1-314-278-2180 (fax)
222 Turner Blvd.
St. Peters, MO  63376  USA