Subject: [netatalk-admins] Route error question...

From: Tim Buller <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 19:51:34 -0500 (CDT)

I'm running 1.4b2 with the MacOS 8 and afpd diffs applied on Solaris
2.5.1. The machine is not acting as a router, the atalkd.conf is:

le0 -phase 2 -net 301-310 -addr 301.124 -zone "Snow" -zone "Math"

afpd runs in zone "Math", papd is not running. The problem is my logs are
filling up with errors like:

Oct 16 17:52:51 titania.math.ukans.edu atalkd[222]: route: 2093 -> 301.99:
No such file or directory
Oct 16 17:52:51 titania.math.ukans.edu atalkd[222]: route: 2094 -> 301.99:
No such file or directory
Oct 16 17:52:51 titania.math.ukans.edu atalkd[222]: route: 2095 -> 301.99:
No such file or directory

Here's what 301.99 is:

(59) # /usr/local/atalk/bin/nbplkup | grep 301.99
           csfrtr02.Ethernet1/3:ciscoRouter 301.99:254
                       csfrtr02:SNMP Agent 301.99:8

So why I am getting these messages on my console? I don't really care if
it can't find a route to these networks, as I can talk to all the hosts in
my zone.

If there isn't a way to turn these messages off, how can I patch the
source to log them at level LOCAL5 or some such so I can direct them out
of the logs I monitor? 

BTW, I think netatalk is real slick; a pleasure to work with after
fighting CAP for too long. TIA,

	Tim

====
Tim Buller                                       [email-masked]
Systems Specialist                       Snow Hall 643, (785) 864-7311
Department of Mathematics     University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS 66045

---

From: Tim Buller <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 1997 10:22:15 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 16 Oct 1997 [email-masked] wrote:

> The solaris kernel module has been rewritten, eliminating the very route
> problems you are experiencing.  It is not yet released in beta-testing
> (though, it will be soon, w/ 1.4b3).  If you'd like to try it out, we've
> got snapshots of current development work available.  We're expecially
> interested in getting feedback from people trying this code out.  These
> snap-shots are, by design, notnecessarily fully functional.  In any
> case, the current snap-shot is

I installed 971013 this morning (Solaris 2.5.1, SS20, gcc 2.7.2.3, added
-DSHADOWPW to sys/solaris/Makefile), seems to be working fine. No routing
error messages on the console so far, printing to an AppleTalk connected
printer works good via the interface script lp2pap.sh

One thing different in the docs (INSTALL/README.SOLARIS) on my system:

45 	This creates the directory /etc/lp/bob, in which you should create
46 	a file called ".paprc" containing the NBP name of the printer. See
47 	the "pap" man page for more information.

The directory for bob would be in /etc/lp/printers/bob.

Thanks for your work; netatalk is a very fine package...

	Tim
====