Subject: [netatalk-admins] network and file access speed

From: Walt Bigelow <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 18:04:39 -0700 (PDT)

I have been using MacOS 7.6.~  for some time now.  I noticed it does not
seem to have much speed improvments over its earlier 7.5..  My
question/problem is this:

I am running atalk on my linux fileserver (linux 2.0.30) slackware
release, as well as serving my SGI animation lab.  On the fileserver as
well as the mac's, I am running 100base-T NICs.  As for my linux box, it
is the samba, nfs, and appleshare servers.  Between my SGI's and linux
using NFS I can obtain a transfer rate (while copying a file) of
15.5Mbits/sec.  When using appletalk (although I do understand that
appletalk as a protocol is ineficent) I get less than 2Mbits/s, if that.
I am constantly doing mass copys of hundreds of 700K files from my macs to
the fileserver.

What I want to know is 1) does mac os 8, running appleshare over IP speed
things up? 2) what kind of performance results have others been getting
with this setup? 3) are there any tweaks I can make with my current
configuration to increase the transfer rate between linux <-> macs? 

I have noticed that networking under any macintosh platform sucks, and
unfortunately I am stuck with using the macs.  (everyone loves photoshop
and afteraffects!!)

Any insight would be apricated!!

-Walt
[email-masked]