Subject: disabling creation of .AppleDouble, etc.?

From: [email-masked] (Georg Schwarz)
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 1997 14:24:42 +0200

Is it possible to compile Netatalk 1.4b2 so that it never creates
.AppleDouble, .AppleDesktop directories? It looks like it could do
without (e.g. on non writable directories).

Also, is there a way to tell Netatalk that a particular file system is
mounted r/o on Linux and it thus should not bother trying to write
anything to it (although from only looking at the permissions Netatalk
this it could write)?

Thanks.

-- 
Georg Schwarz     [email-masked], [email-masked]
Institut für Theoretische Physik       +49 30 314-24254, FAX -21130
Technische Universität Berlin        http://home.pages.de/~schwarz/

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 10:29:40 +0200 (MET DST)

> without (e.g. on non writable directories).

Why do that? If you'll write any File from Macs over Netatalk, Mac Flags 
and other stuff must be written.
 
> anything to it (although from only looking at the permissions Netatalk

If you mount a CD-ROM or similar RO, FileFlags should never include write 
permissions and netatalk won't write anything.

PoC

---

From: Georg Schwarz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 10:37:38 +0200 (MEST)

> and other stuff must be written.

what if I only want to write the data fork?
I know that I would loose the resource fork as well as some information on the
file.
> permissions and netatalk won't write anything.

well, you can have some partitions mountet r/o with permissions of the
directories still being 777 or whatever.

-- 
Georg Schwarz                             [email-masked]
Institut für Theoretische Physik    Tel. +49 30 314-24254, FAX -21130
Technische Universität Berlin          http://home.pages.de/~schwarz/
Sekr. PN 7-1, Hardenbergstr. 36, D-10623 Berlin            IRC: kuroi

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 11:16:21 +0200 (MET DST)

> I know that I would loose the resource fork as well as some information on the

Hmm, dunno.

> directories still being 777 or whatever.

Never seen. Sorry.

PoC

---

From: "Yannai A. Gonczarowski" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 13:39:59 +0300

> > directories still being 777 or whatever.
I believe the question here is, can you tell netatalk to export a
filesystem read-only.
in /etc/exports, one can do it like this:
/usr	-ro

Is there a way to specify that in the AppleVolumes files?
If not, how complicated is it to create a patch for an option like this
in the AppleVolumes files?
Furthermore, how complicated is it to create a patch for an option which
says something like "disable AppleDouble and AppleDesktop for this
filesystem"?

Any ideas?

Bye,
Yannai.

--
Yannai A. Gonczarowski     System Administrator    
[email-masked]
The Hebrew University High School     
http://www.leyada.jlm.k12.il/~yannaigo/

"Do you want to know something? Everybody's human."
"I find that remark insulting."
  - Kirk and Spock, "Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered contry", stardate
9529.1

---

From: Michael Stone <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 09:29:11 -0400

> and other stuff must be written.

What if you want the macs to have access to the data, but don't want
them leaving stuff all over the place? In a mixed environment, there
isn't much point in having the resource fork anyway, since the dos
and unix clients ignore it already.

Mike Stone