Subject: [netatalk-admins] token-ring

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 97 11:49:02 CDT

Dear Netatalk-admins!

   I need your help.

   I have spent a number of days trying to get the netatalk
afp server working on my linux 2.0.30 box connected to a
token-ring network, wothout any luck.  I have appletalk
compiled into the kernel; the network adapter works fine 
(I use it with TCP/IP all the time).  Unfortunately, I don't
know whether linux's kernel appletalk works with token-ring,
or whether maybe that part is okay and the problem is with 
my afp setup.

   Here are the symptoms:

   - 'afp' runs without complaint, but only for a few seconds.
   - 'getzones' gives "Unknown service."

(I have appletalk configured as a loadable module, and lsmod
shows that it is loaded.)

   Does anyone know whether linux's kernel appletalk is even 
supposed to work?  Is anyone else successfully using it?

   Thanks to all.

	   -- Mark

Mark Tomory
Carthage College

---

From: Ian Cameron <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 19:04:06 +0000

>    - 'getzones' gives "Unknown service."

Do you have the correct entries in /etc/services ?

rtmp   1/ddp   # Routing Table Maintenance Protocol
nbp   2/ddp   # Name Binding Protocol
echo   4/ddp   # AppleTalk Echo Protocol
zip   6/ddp   # Zone Information Protocol

I found when trying to run netatalk on a RedHat Intel box using a 
binary RPM that /etc/services did not contain the correct entries and 
the RPM did not update them either, which resulted in an "Unknown 
service." error from getzones.

Hope this helps some.

Cheers, Ian.