Subject: [netatalk-admins] Re: tulip device driver and netatalk?

From: Jeff Wiegley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 1997 17:30:31 -0800

Donald,

Here's an interesting note that might shed some light on my netatalk
problem.

I Have two nearly identical machines running 2.0.29+ISS and your latest
tulip.c driver. (v0.83 I believe)

one machine has an SMC EtherPower 10/100   (DC21140) card.
the other machine has an SMC EhterPower 10 (DS21041) card.

both have the latest netatalk source + the asun17 patch which
makes things quite up to date.

The DS21041 card works perfectly using the tulip driver

the DC21140 card works perfectly using the de4x5 driver but
fails to work with the tulip driver, even if allmulti and/or
promicuous mode is enabled.

by works perfectly I mean that `nbplkup` sees all the appletalk
object on the network. In the case of the DC21140+tulip driver
filesharing works ok but `nbplkup` only sees the netatalk server
and no other machines.

Do you (or anybody on the netatalk mailing list who've been cc'ed
here) have any idea on what is the difficulty? I would rather be
using the tulip driver for these cards since they in general
better drivers I believe.

- Jeff Wiegley

---

From: TheJestr <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 1997 19:24:52 +0000

No response after several failed login attempts:
For some strange reason if I attempt to login to the Netatalk server 
with and invalid username and password the server disables logins for 
all users.  I have a user account with a password that has mixed case 
and this user is unable to login to the server.  That's not so much 
the problem as once he has attempted to login 2 times the server does 
not allow any other users to connect.  When someone selects the 
server in chooser his/her computer gives the message No response from 
server.  can ANYONE help with this as this will cause huge problems 
among my end users.  

6GB Volume Problem:
Is there any possible way to get MACs to see volumes 5GBs or higher.  
I installed MAC OS 8 and that didnt seem to work.  I would rather not 
split the volume as I installed this server for the sole purpose of 
providing a large volume for my art departments huge files.

Thanks.