Subject: [netatalk-admins] netatalk and samba

From: "Philip S. Wachtel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 1997 10:58:30 -0500

Hi!

I have netatalk and samba running well together.  However, there is one
directory that I've set up as a shared directory where everyone can share
files.  Again, it all works fine, but the .AppleDesktop and .AppleDouble
directories are visible on the Windows machines and are confusing the users
a bit.  I'm wondering if anyone out there has found a way cleaning up this
setup.

Thanks very much!

Philip

---

From: Tim Rand <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 13:36:36 -0600

>a bit.  I'm wondering if anyone out there has found a way cleaning up this

The latest release (1.9.17p2) of Samba has a   VETO FILES =   option that 
allows you to hide certain files by pattern.

I have mine set to:

     veto files  =  /.AppleDouble/.AppleDesktop/Network Trash Folder/

---

From: Claes Månsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 1997 21:46:12 +0100

Philip S. Wachtel wrote:
[deletia]
> a bit.  I'm wondering if anyone out there has found a way cleaning up this

This is really a samba question, but since it seems to be a common
problem for
netatalk-admins, here's how to fix it in smb.conf (cut from "man
smb.conf"):

>  Example2:
>    Veto the Apple specific files that a Netatalk server
>    creates.
>
>    veto files = /.AppleDouble/.bin/.AppleDesktop/Network Trash Folder/

"veto files" seems to be a rather newly implemented option, so you might
have to
upgrade your samba package first.

Hope this helps!
/Claes

---

From: Julian Elischer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 20:37:16 -0800 (PST)

If you look at teh SAMBA documentation,
you will see that there is an option "veto files"
which I added specifically to hide .AppleDouble and .AppleDesktop
files from SAMBA users.

Newer version sof samba know how to handle deleting directories
that contain nothing but an old veto'd directory.

I.e. If teh directory is empty except for veto'd files that the SAMBA
user can't see, and you are trying to delete the directory,
then just zap teh veto'd files and then delete the directory.

I forget teh option anme for that but it's in the docs.

In FreeBSD 3.0 there is also a kernel option to manipulate
file directories for SAMBA and netatalk directories more in line with what
SAMBA/MAC users expect... (i.e. teh filesystem can be mounted with an
option that makes teh system handle ownerships in a way less like UNIX
and more like PC users expect.. ("It's in my folder, it must be owned by
me!"). This is unsafe for shell machines but great for SAMBA/NetATALK
servers as the users never get in teh position of being unable to cleanout
their folders (which DOES happen if you have users giving each other
files and folders)

This is just an indication of how SAMBA and Netatalk are co-operating..

we use them both in our product (www.whistle.com)
(and sponsor development of them)

julian