Subject: [netatalk-admins] How to route?

From: Yeak Nai Siew <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 97 12:37:20 +0800

Hi all,

So happy that I found this mailing list! I hope someone will help me out 
from getting rid of NT 4.0!

I am using Linux box. Coolest free OS on earth! :-) I know how to route 
two networks running TCP/IP using Linux box or NT, from two different 
Ethernet card. But I don't know how to route two AppleTalk zones using 
JUST Linux.

My office is mainly running AppleTalk protocol (40 Macs). I divided it 
into two zones. What I can do at the moment is using NT 4.0 to do the 
routing for both AppleTalk and TCP/IP.

So, NT 4.0 works fine initially... until I discover something weird! The 
TCP/IP route for NT 4.0 always hang during ftp from one zone to another. 
If you want to know the details description, I can explain it later.

I would like to know how to setup a zone information at one network and 
do the necessary routing using Netatalk 1.4b2. You don't need to explain 
to me in very details.

There must be a documentation somewhere. Can someone direct me?

Thank you so much!

--
Yeak Nai Siew                              << Macintosh Forever >>
Director, MIR Communications Sdn Bhd        http://www.mir.com.my/
Creator of Mac Power User Group        http://www.mir.com.my/mpug/
Fingerprint    @_pgp_@    3A6D 05D3 A3CE B8B7  20C3 CD63 DE82 732D

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 10:02:53 +0200

>do the necessary routing using Netatalk 1.4b2. You don't need to explain 

You'll have to edit /usr/local/etc/atalkd.conf:

eth0 -seed -phase 2 -net 10-19 -addr 10.1 -zone "One"
eth1 -seed -phase 2 -net 20-29 -addr 20.1 -zone "Two"

And restart your machine (atalkd won't start, if you had it running before). Another way is to ifconfig down and up all interfaces, than you won't have to restart.

:wq! PoC