Subject: [netatalk-admins] Multiple Print Jobs?

From: Richard Kaszeta <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 1997 10:27:53 -0500

(I'm using 1.4b2 on Linux)

Most of my attempts to print to a printer using psf as a lpd filter
result in the printing printing out multiple copies of the same job
until the printer is stopped.

Looking over the mailling list archives, I see a number of people
recommending removing the output filter of= line.  However, none of my
entries have an output filter specified and I still see the multiple
copies.

Here is the relevant printcap entry:

ptltek:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/ptltek:\
        :if=/usr/lib/atalk/filters/ifpap:\
        :tf=/usr/lib/atalk/filters/tfpap:\
        :af=/var/spool/lpd/ptltek/acct:\
        :du=1:\
        :mx#0:\
        :pw#80:\
        :lp=/dev/ptltek:\
        :sh:

Any suggestions?

-- 
Richard W Kaszeta 			Graduate Student/Sysadmin
[email-masked]				University of MN, ME Dept
http://www.menet.umn.edu/~kaszeta

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 1997 11:38:50 -0400

> From:    Richard Kaszeta <[email-masked]>
> To:      [email-masked]

> 	:af=/var/spool/lpd/ptltek/acct:\

First, remove the "af" entry.  If the problem goes away, it's related
to the printer not properly closing the connection.  Check out
/usr/lib/atalk/filters/if*pap.  You'll find filters called ifmpap,
ifwpap, ifwmpap.  The 'm' means use multiple connections to retrieve
the pagecount.  This will probably fix your multiple copies problem.
The 'w' means wait until the printer is idle before asking about
pagecounts.  This defeats on-printer spooling that some printers
implement, notably HP Laserjet 4s and 5s.  If you don't enable this
option, you'll often mis-charge pages to subsequent users.

:wes