Subject: [netatalk-admins] Netatalk and "native" HFS ability?

From: [email-masked] (Georg Schwarz)
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 1997 22:18:32 +0100

To the best of my knowledge Linux 2.1.X has HFS support (at least it
worked very well with LinuxPPC on a Mac). Now what about accessing via
Netatalk such an HFS volume (ZIP disk, CD, ...) mounted on a Linux
machine? Will Netatalk write the resource fork and file information in
the correct place or will it still use auxillary files/directories to
store that information (which will not be understood when the volume is
mounted on a real Mac).
To give a simple example: can I mount an HFS format CD on a Linux
machine (with hfs kernel support) and export it to a Mac which then can
use it as if it was exported from another Mac (incl. resource forks)?
-- 
Georg Schwarz     [email-masked], [email-masked]
Institut für Theoretische Physik       +49 30 314-24254, FAX -21130
Technische Universität Berlin        http://home.pages.de/~schwarz/

---

From: Will Johnston <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 1997 13:30:54 -0800 (PST)

> use it as if it was exported from another Mac (incl. resource forks)?

Yep, just use the 'afpd' option when mounting your HFS CD.  This will
cause the mount to use netatalk names for the resource fork (and a few
other things.)  It has worked perfectly for me.

For more info, see:

  http://www-sccm.Stanford.EDU/~hargrove/HFS/README-2.html#ss2.1

--
Will Johnston
Caelum Research
NASA Ames Research Center