Subject: AppleTalk's numering scheme?

From: [email-masked] (Georg Schwarz)
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 1997 02:04:56 +0200

Where can I find some introduction into AppleTalk's concept of zones and
network numers, etc.? Being used to TCP/IP, everything seems a bit odd
to me. (it does work, but I'm really puzzled how exacly :-))
Thanks.

-- 
Georg Schwarz     [email-masked], [email-masked]
Institut für Theoretische Physik       +49 30 314-24254, FAX -21130
Technische Universität Berlin        http://home.pages.de/~schwarz/

---

From: "Yannai A. Gonczarowski" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 1997 17:55:33 +0300

> to me. (it does work, but I'm really puzzled how exacly :-))

I guess you can search apple's site.
Zones are different networks joined together by a router (machine with
two cards).
About the numbers I don't know, they are configured pretty much
automatically, so I didn't need to touch it. If it aint broken, don't
fix it.

Bye,
Yannai.

--
Yannai A. Gonczarowski     System Administrator    
[email-masked]
The Hebrew University High School     
http://www.leyada.jlm.k12.il/~yannaigo/

"Do you want to know something? Everybody's human."
"I find that remark insulting."
  - Kirk and Spock, "Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered contry", stardate
9529.1

---

From: Bernard Becker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 1997 14:06:07 -0400

Yannai, you don't need two cards two have zones.
Zones are an artificial construct that are not bound by numbering scheme or
physical wiring.
One Piece of Ethernet can have multiple zones on it. As you point out, a
router is required but it doesn't have to be routing between physical
segments.

To answer George's question; a good intro to AppleTalk from a UNIX/TCP
perspective can be found at:
http://www.cs.mu.OZ.AU/appletalk/aboutatalk.html

>automatically, so I didn't need to touch it. If it aint broken, don't

+  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +
+  +
    Bernard Becker, Sr. Systems Engineer, Apple Canada <[email-masked]>
 Apple Network Managers Assoc. Ontario, Prez. <http://www.signat.org/signat/>
 If you're absurdly interested in my life: <http://www.proxy.com/resume.html>
                 Life's too short to do DOS support.

---

From: Cezary Zemis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 1997 10:40:05 +0200 (MET DST)

> to me. (it does work, but I'm really puzzled how exacly :-))

Try web wersion of Inside Macintosh and Inside AppleTalk:

http://devworld.apple.com/dev/insidemac.shtml

     _   _   _   Cezary Zemis, mailto:[email-masked] -+
    /   /   /    http://www.orient.uw.edu.pl/~pasiasty           |
   /   /   /     tel.:(+48 22) 443 054, GSM:0-601 227 486        |
P A S I A S T Y  Joliot-Curie 9/29, 02-646 Warszawa, Poland      |
 /   /   /                                                       |
/_  /_  /_       --- "E, chcesz w ryło?" (J.W.Goethe, "Faust") --+

---

From: nexus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 14:02:32 +0200 (MET DST)

> automatically, so I didn't need to touch it. If it aint broken, don't

actually, you can have zones on 1 wire. the only interesting detail Im aware 
of about the numbering is that a mac will choose a random number in 
a certain range when it first starts up.

Casey