Subject: [netatalk-admins] Icons

From: ReWt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 10:54:16 -0500 (EST)

Just wondering if there is a way to change the icon that shows up once you
are connected to the server via the mac machine.  I have had no problems
with netatalk whatsoever but I would like to know if that is possible.

Matt Chapman

---

From: dannyman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 14:36:16 -0600

> with netatalk whatsoever but I would like to know if that is possible.

yes, this is possible.

-- 
  //Dan   -=-     This message brought to you by [email-masked]    -=-
\\/yori   -=-    Information - http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/djhoward/   -=-
aiokomete -=-   Our Honored Symbol deserves an Honorable Retirement

---

From: ReWt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 15:42:02 -0500 (EST)

Okay,

It is possible to change the default icon, how do you change the default
icon.

Matthew Chapman

---

From: dannyman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 14:46:19 -0600

> It is possible to change the default icon, how do you change the default

dammit, i knew i couldn't get away with being a smartass ...

uhmmm ... i dunno, i think on os8 you can go into properties and drag an icon
onto the one popping up in the window, or at least copy/paste ...

---

From: ReWt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 15:49:46 -0500 (EST)

Gotcha,

Ok: I think the icon though is supplied on the server side via netatalk
therefore I would gather you would have to change the icon on the server,
wherever that is and depending on the format it has to be in...etc...

Matthew Chapman

---

From: dannyman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 14:57:39 -0600

> wherever that is and depending on the format it has to be in...etc...

netatalk handles this ... if you are going to change an icon on an appletalk
volume, you will be affecting the server. if you do not have write permission
on the server, you can't change the icon.

local interpretation of default icon types though, appears to be
client-specific ... don't ask me though, i'm not a mac geek. :)

---

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 13:07:35 -0800 (PST)

Gotcha,

os8 doesn't use the server-supplied icon. copy/paste works better
anyway as the server can only supply a bitmap. if you want to actually
change the bitmap, look in etc/afpd/icon.h.

-a

---

From: Juan Fernando <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 16:10:54 -0500 (EST)

Under OS8, I GET INFO <File Menu or CMD-I> and you can TAB to the ICON's
field or simply click directly there.  Then you can Cut-n-Paste (or use F3
to copy, F4 to paste) the Icons right in.
 
The same procedure is for all systems 7 and up, but I hav 8 on my
Powerbook and that's what I did it with.  The Icons show up beautifully on
all the desktops in our 30 Mac office, and using the Labels to color code
them produced instantly recognizable server volumes.

							juan.

---

From: John Ostrowick <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 09:28:00 +0200 (SAT)

copy and paste under macos.
also if you want to change the icon on the main partition, allow a root
login (edit auth.c) and then paste the icon.

________________________________________________________________
John Ostrowick                 [email-masked]
Computer Science Department,   University of the Witwatersrand
1 Jan Smuts Ave, Johannesburg, South Africa. Senate House 1012
Phone: +27 11 716-3783         Fax: +27 11 339-3513
My web page: http://macaroni.cs.wits.ac.za/more/jon/aboutme.html
My ftp site: ftp://macaroni.cs.wits.ac.za
My listserv: http://macaroni.cs.wits.ac.za/listservs.html