Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] NIS authentication

From: Ben Payne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 13:09:37 -0800

it was always my understanding that netatalk either used libc or pam to do
all authentication (depending on compile options) and since both support
NIS this shouldn't be a problem.  Please let me know if I'm wrong, since I
will be doing the same soon.

-> Ben Payne

At 03:31 PM 11/17/97 -0600, Matt Isleb wrote:
>Hey ppl,
>
>I just got netatalk runnning on a linux box with shadow password... BUT.. 
>I want more. i have users that exist through NIS from a Solaris server. Is 
>there a way to have auth.c in afpd also check NIS to authenticate users? 
>This is kinda important.
>
>Does auth.c not use traditional methods for authenicating users?
>
>Matt
>  
>
>

---

From: Matt Isleb <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 16:13:52 -0600 (CST)

> will be doing the same soon.

It doesn't use PAM, that is for sure.  Well the distributed one 
doesn't anyway. There is a redhat rpm version that is hacked to use PAM. 
You can find at your favorite redhat/contrib/i386/RPMS directory structure.

I have NIS and as far as I can tell, users that 
exist via NIS can't login to the netatalk server.  I may have done 
somethign wrong tho.

Matt

---

From: Andrew Solmssen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 14:03:09 -0800 (PST)

I have this working just fine on a Red Hat 4.2 server. I compiled 1.4b2
locally with the NISified libc (NYS?) and it all just works...

---- Andrew

---

From: Matt Isleb <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 17:03:33 -0600 (CST)

> locally with the NISified libc (NYS?) and it all just works...

I just assumed i had an NISified libc because everything else "just 
works" with NIS.  Maybe I will try netatalk 1.4b2.

I have Redhat 3.0.3 with a newer libc5. It isn't the one that came with 
3.0.3.. i dont' remeber where I got it.

Matt

---

From: Ben Payne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 14:42:56 -0800

I decided to scroll threw auth.c in the 1.4b2 source and it appears that
all requests for user info go threw libc. (getpwnam, etc...)  So as long as
you have a libc working with NIS you should be fine with netatalk, which
means if the user can log into the server they should beable to login w/
netatalk.  BTW - I normally run the asun patch which does support PAM.

-> Ben

---

From: Matt Isleb <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 01:15:22 -0600 (CST)

> netatalk.  BTW - I normally run the asun patch which does support PAM.

Well, i just got 1.4b and NIS users still can't log in. I can su to them 
and login via telnet with the username but i can't login via apletalk... 
Any tips?

Matt

---

From: Ben Payne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 13:31:40 -0800

It sounds like the libc doesn't support NIS.  I believe login under 3.0.3
is still staticly linked, which would explain why users could log in and
not get into netatalk, look for an updated libc on redhats site or one that
you know has NIS support.  You can always get the libc source and compile
it too.  You should not need to recompile netatalk after upgrading.

-> Ben