Subject: [netatalk-admins] Error with netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.0a15 and FreeBSD 2.2.2

From: Eric Cronin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 10:33:15 -0400 (EDT)

Hello.  I have been playing with the new TCP/IP patches for netatalk on my
BSD box, and am having a problem.  Connecting to the server, mounting
volumes, copying files from it, running programs on it etc. all works
fine.  But when I attempt to copy from a mac to the netatalk server,
connected either over appletalk or TCP/IP, I get an error type -50 on the
mac side and:
Aug 21 10:27:27 chicago afpd[200]: afp_setforkparams: ad_dtruncate: File
too large

in the servers log file.  I only have access to MacOS 8 machines, so this
may actually be the MacOS8's AppleShare clients fault not netatalk.
Anyone running 7.6 is welcome to try connecting as guest to
chicago.gmi.edu and uploading something to the incoming directory.

Eric

---

From: Russ Wright <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 08:02:11 -0700

I have the same problem. I also notice that when I do a "Get Info" on the
remote disk the size is really crazy (way too big).

Russ

---

From: Eric Cronin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 15:06:24 -0400 (EDT)

> chicago.gmi.edu and uploading something to the incoming directory.

An interesting addition to this:  It looks like MacOS8 is to blame here,
and the finder in particular (maybe the new multithreaded copy?).  If I
save from within an application to a netatalk mounted volume, there are no
problems at all, even with a multi-megabyte file...  Very unusual.

Eric