Subject: [netatalk-admins] Re: linux quotas problem

From: [email-masked] (John Ostrowick)
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 12:10:57 +0200

afp logins no longer work properly with my login system (but do work with
the chooser), and yet i am doing nothing inordinately unconventional in my
coding; before enabling quotas, the afp login thing works. In the syslog
file, i see this (the symptom is the login freezes). I deduce therefore
that either

a. the afp thing cannot log in properly because it becomes a zombie AND
cannot read the quotas file OR
b. the afp thing is getting stuck because it's now zombified OR
c. it's getting stuck because it's unable to read the quotas file

does anyone know: is afpd supposed to read the quotas file? the readmes all
say that it must be mode 600, so why is afpd trying to read it?

here's the syslog:

Aug 27 07:27:36 colossus afpd[2496]: setfilparams: ad_open quota.user:
Permission denied
Aug 27 07:27:36 colossus afpd[2496]: setfilparams: ad_open quotas:
Permission denied
Aug 27 07:28:18 colossus afpd[2496]: setfilparams: ad_open quota.group:
Permission denied
Aug 27 07:28:18 colossus afpd[2496]: setfilparams: ad_open quota.user:
Permission denied
Aug 27 07:28:18 colossus afpd[2496]: setfilparams: ad_open quotas:
Permission denied
Aug 27 07:28:28 colossus afpd[2496]: setfilparams: ad_open quota.group:

is it trying to read the quotas or is it just trying to do something with
appledouble?

does netatalk 14b2 have quota support enabled by default?

any ideas ? :-)

TIA!

________________________________________________________________
John Ostrowick
Computer Science Department,   University of the Witwatersrand
1 Jan Smuts Ave, Johannesburg, South Africa. Senate House 1012
Phone: +27 11 716-3783         Fax: +27 11 339-3513
[email-masked]              [email-masked]
My web page: http://macaroni.cs.wits.ac.za/more/jon/aboutme.html
My ftp site: ftp://macaroni.cs.wits.ac.za
My listserv: http://macaroni.cs.wits.ac.za/listservs.html

---

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 10:38:13 -0700 (PDT)

what is this "afp login" thing?

you're being mislead by these messages. they're non-fatal and have
nothing to do w/ quota support per se. from this, it looks like
you've setup your netatalk to use directories that it can't write
in. i bet you have a setup like the following:
	/home/quota.*
	/home/account

in you're AppleVolumes.*, you have /home as the volume to be shared. i
suspect that you're login thing is doing something unexpected. in my
opinion, setting up specific "mac-only" directories to be shared works
much better than just sharing everything. 

-a