Subject: [netatalk-admins] Forwarded message from "Ashutosh Dutta" sent on Aug 29, 1997.

From: Ashutosh Dutta <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 1997 18:47:46 -0400

Dear Netatalk gurus,

The following is the log messages from one of our servers which is the
atalk/pap server, this  used to be connected  to a hub  connected to a
cisco router, we  moved it to a switched  environment where the switch
is now  connected to one  of the interfaces  in cisco router which has
appletalk enabled. This was  working fine before it  got moved to  the
switched environment, the  things that changed  in the servers are its
network IP address, netmask,  but it is  still connected to the router
though the switch, but to a different interface( it used  to be on one
subnet , but  it  is now in   different one).  This system is  running
solaris 2.5.1, it looks like  the daemon atalkd  is getting killed and
thus we cannot see anything in any zones. Any pointer to what it could
be which is causing this problem will be highly appreciated.

Aug 29 20:07:19 dynamo.cs.columbia.edu atalkd[322]: rtmp_packet: can't remove loopback: No such file or directory
Aug 29 20:07:27 dynamo.cs.columbia.edu papd[337]: No such printer: lp
Aug 29 20:07:27 dynamo.cs.columbia.edu papd[337]: printcap problem: lp
Aug 29 20:07:55 dynamo.cs.columbia.edu atalkd[322]: looproute panic two routes
dyn% 

Thanks
Ashutosh

------- End of Forwarded Message

---

From: Alistair Riddell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 1997 00:43:44 +0100 (BST)

Try moving your atalkd.conf file somewhere safe where netatalk won't find
it. That will put atalkd into discovery mode and it should create a new
atalkd.conf file with the correct information for your network.

--
Alistair Riddell - BOFH
IT Support Department, George Watson's College, Edinburgh
Tel: +44 131 447 7931 Ext 176       Fax: +44 131 452 8594

---

From: Blair MacIntyre <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 1997 07:50:06 -0400 (EDT)

> atalkd.conf file with the correct information for your network.

That was the first thing I tried.  I get different information in the
atalkd.conf file, but it still doesn't work. (I'm having the same problems
as Ashutosh, in the same department, but I'm using a linux box).

I can see the linux box from the macs in the chooser, but I (obviously)
can't make any connections because none of the other daemons are running.
My NT server seems to be exporting things fine.

When rc.atalk runs, atalkd take a long time to start, and then gives
an error and none of the other appletalk deamons run.

It then repeats, every few seconds, these messages:

config for no router
rtmp_packet router has become available
zip_getnetinfo for eth0
[repeat the last one 6 times, then repeat the whole sequence]