Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] [repost] can't use guest host

From: [email-masked] (John Sutton)
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 1997 11:33:14 +0000

Have you checked the options on afpd?  See man afpd.  There is an option to
enable/disable guest logins and to set the uid of guest if enabled.

>Hi,
>
>I posted this question some days ago, but I saw no answer, so I'll
>post it again.
>
>I installed netatalk in a Debian system, and everything seems to be
>well, but I cannot use the guest account, i.e., the guest radio button
>on the Mac remains grayed, so I cannot mount a volume as guest.
>
>Do anybody of you manage to export a volume to be mounted as guest?
>
>I just added the volume to AppleVolume.default, which makes it visible
>to normal users, but not to guest.  I also browsed through the saved
>archive of the last year of this list, but found nothing.
>
>Thanks for reading
>
>--
>Francesco Potorti` (researcher)        Voice:    +39-50-593203
>Computer Network Division              Operator: +39-50-593211
>CNUCE-CNR, Via Santa Maria 36          Fax:      +39-50-904052
>56126 Pisa - Italy                     Email:    [email-masked]

***********************
John Sutton
SCL Computer Services
http://www.scl.co.uk
Tel +44 (0) 1239 621021
***********************

---

From: Francesco Potorti` <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 97 17:08 MET

> Do anybody of you manage to export a volume to be mounted as guest?
   
   I had this problem on a RedHat system running netatalk 1.3.3.
   Upgrading to 1.4b2 fixed this problem , but I had to downgrade for
   other reasons (i.e., atalkd would crash if someone entered the
   wrong password).

I use 1.4b2.  I also have the problem with the wrong passwd.  So it
seems I have the worst of both versions :-(.

THanks to all that suggested looking at options and such.  I checked
all the "obvious" things, but nothing changed.
   
   You might want to check out some of the newest asun versions of
   netatalk; also, there's a Linux-specific netatalk list
   (linux-atalk) which, if I recall correctly, is archived at
   netspace.org.  There is probably a discussion of this problem
   somewhere on that list.

Thank you.  I'll switch to that list as soon as I find it.

Francesco