Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] AFP 2.2

From: [email-masked] (John Sutton)
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 1997 21:06:40 +0100

Michael

I've had no problem running afpd (netatalk 1.4b2+asun0.16 thereabouts)
_without_ atalkd (the Appletalk stuff) running.  It moans a bit when it
first comes up but otherwise runs fine.  Compiles and runs out of the box
on my Linux 2.0.27 kernel -  I don't run shadow passwords which seems to
account for 90% of the grief which people get!

>Hi, I've never used netatalk, but since list seems to carry the
>development-related traffic, I thought this might be a good place to
>ask my question. I'm interested in running an afpd which only talks to
>TCP/IP via standard inetd. Basically, I'd just as soon not deal with
>the hassle of AppleTalk if possible, but given netatalk's
>implementation I'm not sure it's possible to do something of this
>sort. I've also sent out feelers about CAP which is also now
>supporting AFP 2.2.
>
>Is anyone aware of a way to do this? Even running some bizarre form of
>netatalk (i.e. with certain portions disabled or not compiled) would
>be fine. I've even contemplated writing something from scratch, but I
>think that's far beyond the scope of what I can do, especially after
>getting my hands at long last on the AFP specification. Also, I'm not
>a C/C++ programmer and would probably try to implement in python or
>perl.
>
>Anyway, if anyone knows of a way to do what I'm looking to do, please
>let me know. Or if anyone thinks my idea's interesting, I'd be
>gratified to know I'm not a total oddball. Thanks for whatever
>guidance anyone can provide.
>_____
>Michael Han ([email-masked])                     voice: (415) 502-7542
>Interactive Learning Center Consultant                        (415) 476-4309
>San Francisco, California 94143-0840                     fax: (415) 476-4653
>"The lunatic, the lover and the poet
>Are of imagination all compact:-" A Midsummer Night's Dream, V i

***********************
John Sutton
SCL Computer Services
http://www.scl.co.uk
Tel +44 (0) 1239 621021
***********************