Subject: [netatalk-admins] character set mapping

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 19:16:52 -1000

Hello everybody,

I'd be happy if Netatalk could translate filenames from the Mac coding 
scheme to ISO-Latin1 (and vice-versa). That would help me a lot in
having my samba and netatalk servers cooperate. (We speak french here
in Tahiti, so we have to deal with those weird accentuated chars ;)

More over, some chars are not allowed on Window$ (like '/') and it
would be good if Netatalk could reject the creation of filenames using
such chars.

I have written a little Perl script which converts all those things
but this is not an appliable solution.

I am far from being a C programming terminator. I found interesting
things in the CAP and samba source code but I am not good enough to
use them to patch Netatalk.

Has anyone already thought of it ?

PS:
My deepest thanks to the Netatalk team as well as Adrian Sun. Keep up
the very good work !

-- 
                                                       _ 
David PAQUET             email : [email-masked]       __\ /\
System Coconut           phone : +689 861214         / _\|__ 
                         fax   : +689 861019          //o\\ \ 
                                                      |   \\
Civil Aviation                                             ||
TAHITI - French Polynesia ________________________________/  \

---

From: Palle Girgensohn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 14:57:56 +0200

Bon jour, David!

I have fiddled a bit with the same thought, and found some good spots in
the netatalk code to insert translation code into. My time is limited,
however :(. It shouldn't be too hard to do a straight translation, but
there might be problems in defining when to translate, i.e. for which
documents. All this is available with CAP, but CAP has other drawbacks,
which made us move over to netatalk. For now, we live with the problem.
   Also, is anyone else looking into this?

Best regards,
Palle