Subject: Re: Speed problems on Linux

From: "ISOBE, Michiro" <[email-masked]>
Date: 19 Jun 97 14:34:36 +0900

>>- of the three macs on our net, only one of them has slow access to
>>netatalk and the other two work fine. All three are powermacs running
>>System 7.6.1 and Open Transport 1.1.2 over built-in ethernet.

I heard that some PCI Power Macintoshes suffered from slow network 
performance due to defect DIMMs. Please consult "Macintouch" Web site 
<http://www.macintouch.com/>

---------------------------------------------------------
Michiro ISOBE (礒部倫郎 in Japanese)
Electromagnetic Energy Engineering Course
Graduate School of Engineering, Osaka University
(大阪大学大学院工学研究科　電子情報エネルギー工学専攻 in Japanese)

by Cyberdog Mail System
---------------------------------------------------------

---

From: David Hartmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 23:15:20 -0700

><http://www.macintouch.com/>

Thanks for the tip, but it didn't help.  The crux of the info on Macintouch
is that defective DIMMs set up to interleave on PCI macs can cause serious
ethernet performance hits.  I switched my DIMMs around so they wouldn't
interleave and it made no difference.

This isn't surprising, since the slow netatalk performance only popped up
last month after working well for six months with the same RAM setup.  I
guess I'll run through my extensions to see if that helps and report back.

Thanks,
David