Subject: [netatalk-admins] 2-way encrypted passwords?

From: Ben Burch <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 97 11:48:08 -0500

Hello, folks!

Okay...  I am uncomfortable with the fact that passwords in netatalk are 
being sent "clear".  Short of Kerberos, which I know is in some 
non-completed state, is there a patch to use the same password encryption 
scheme Appleshare itself uses?  If not, is there some documentation on 
how this scheme works so that I could implement said patch myself?

Thanks in advance!

--
"Love is the law, love under will."

Ben Burch
[email-masked]

---

From: Bill Studenmund <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 10:24:22 -0700 (PDT)

> how this scheme works so that I could implement said patch myself?

The problem is that the Apple two-way encrypted technique requires the
plain-text password be kept on the server. Other than that, it souldn't be
too hard. IA, 2nd edition describes the encryption technique.

Take care,

Bill

---

From: "Steven N. Hirsch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 18:15:16 -0400 (EDT)

> too hard. IA, 2nd edition describes the encryption technique.

All,

Never fear, gents.  I've had this working for months, and have finally
found time to clean up and comment the patches.  They cover:

1) One man's implementation of the "Randnum exchange" UAM.  Yes, it does
require that a clear-text password reside on disk at the server.  However,
it does _not_ have to be the same as any/all other passwords that might be
owned by the user.  I think it's reasonably secure, but would love
feedback. 

2) Support for the Apple IIe (w/ Apple Workstation card) and Apple IIgs
(built-in LocalTalk port).  

3) Real Soon Now: Support for PC/Win clients (I just have to sit down and
code the name munging logic).

I'll post the diffs here later this evening after giving them another
once-over.  It will be necessary to grab a library supporting DES encrypt
and decrypt operations.  I downloaded 'libdes' from a site in Australia,
but it is not legal for DES code to travel in the other direction - go
figure.

Stay tuned.

Steve