Subject: [netatalk-admins] Routing question

From: Mario Haza <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 10:45:11 -0500 (CDT)

I have a RedHat 4.2 (kernel 2.0.30) for SPARC (SS4) and NetAtalk 1.4b2
ported for SPARC.

I configured atalkd.conf with the -seed parameter with the porpouse to
make netatalk define a zone (like the uar on CAP).

I am wondering if this make sense or i have to use another software to
make zones.

Thanks.

*************************************************************************
*                                                      _                *
*  Mario "Mago" Haza.                                 / \       ___     *
*  Centro de Investigacion en Computacion Educativa   \  \     /\_/     *
*  Coordinacion de Soporte Tecnico                     \  \   /  /      *
*   Research Center for Computing & Education           \  \ /  /       *
*   Technical Support                                   / O   O \       *
*                                                      |   >o<   |      *
*  e-mail: [email-masked]                  \ _[|]_ /       *
*          [email-masked]..mx                ____{||}___{||}____  *
*          [email-masked]                     |_________________|  *
*                                                     |           |     *
*  Tel. (5) 627-0210 Ext. 8530 u 8527                 |           |     *
*       Ciudad de Mexico (Mexico City)                |           |     *
*                                                     |___________|     *
*                                                                       *
*************************************************************************

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 08:26:37 +0200

Hi,

>I have a small Appletalk net running
>phase 2 with a range of 10000-10000.

Ah, you've already a seeding-router.

>Is a phase 2 range of X-X valid?

I think so.

>I guess I could just leave things with the 10000-10001 net range, but this
>affects my sense of network esthetics negatively. 

Eh? Wha that?

>I guess I'm having a
>conceptual problem with phase 2 - does there need to be a one-to-one
>mapping between net numbers and zone names?

No.

>If not, is there any
>disadvantage or advantage to a net that has a couple of numbers included?

Advantage: Every Mac gets its own address from the defined range, so you may easily find out, who nbp-propagates serial numers, etc...
Disadvantage: On a BIG campus, you may find that over 65000 Networkadresses are still much too less to give every Mac it's own address.

>What is the advantage in general of zones that encompass more than one net
>number?

Nothing. Zones are administrative (Like Domains with IP). One net(range) may have multiple zone names, so every user may choose in which zone his mac appears. Nets are related to infrastructure (routers, etc, like with IP), so you may not say your Mac has to be in 1000.

>On a more general note - I know that on a net with multiple zones I use
>the Network or Appletalk control panel to assign the Mac to a zone, but
>as an network manager, how do I enforce that selection?

Dunno.

>What's to keep my
>users from saying I don't want to be in the Work zone, I'd rather be in
>the Fun zone, and changing this themselves? Can I assign Macs to zones
>remotely?

Maybe with snmp?

:wq! PoC