Subject: [netatalk-admins] NFS/SMB/Appleshare on the same file system

From: Kamal Kantawala <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1997 00:34:35 -0500 (CDT)

Dear Samba, Netatalk Administrators,

I have the following question:

Is it possible to do the following?

On a Sun Sparcstation running Solaris 2.5, I want to able to share a single
file system volume via NFS, Samba, and Netatalk. Also, I would like to know
if there are problems with file locking in the above scenario , i.e. is it
possible to stop more than one person from accessing the same file at the
same time? I would be running Solaris 2.5 on the NFS clients, Win 95/NT on
the Samba clients, and MacOS 7.5.x on the Netatalk clients. Most of the files
would be Documents, mostly Microsoft Word, Powerpoint, Exel etc. The NFS client
usage is not an immediate need.

If anybody has experience with a similar configuration, your experiences
and feedback would be very helpful.

Thanks.

Kamal Kantawala
System Administrator,
MCC, Austin, TX.

---

From: "Yannai A. Gonczarowski" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1997 14:00:09 +0300

> and feedback would be very helpful.
I'm doing about the same thing:
SunOS 4.1.4, NFS, SMB, netatalk.

However, I don't know about file locking. I never really had this
problem. Where one can write, the others either have read-only, or don't
access the same files.

Bye,
Yannai.

--
Yannai A. Gonczarowski     System Administrator    
[email-masked]
The Hebrew University High School     
http://www.leyada.jlm.k12.il/~yannaigo/

"Do you want to know something? Everybody's human."
"I find that remark insulting."
  - Kirk and Spock, "Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered contry", stardate
9529.1

---

From: "Povl H. Pedersen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 15:59:14 +0200

First of all: I have had no problems with 1.4b2, and reinstalling that one
with my current configuration file works.

I installed the netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.0a12 on my Linux machine, applied the
kernel patches to 2.0.30, and added the necesary defines in the linux
makefile (defined the need quota wrapper and byteorder symbold).

I can get it to work perfectly over pure TCP - can not see it in chooser
though.

But I can not get it to work under AppleTalk - It does not appear in the
chooser on my older Macs, neither on my system 8 Mac.

I have the following in my logifle for the startup:

Jul 16 15:14:32 netguide kernel: Appletalk 0.17 for Linux NET3.035
Jul 16 15:14:32 netguide atalkd[4472]: restart (1.4b2+asun2.0a12)
Jul 16 15:14:33 netguide atalkd[4472]: zip_getnetinfo for eth2
Jul 16 15:14:33 netguide atalkd[4472]: rtmp_packet interface mismatch
Jul 16 15:14:33 netguide atalkd[4472]: zip gnireply from 12.84 (eth2 1a)
Jul 16 15:14:33 netguide atalkd[4472]: zip_packet configured eth2 from 12.84
Jul 16 15:14:34 netguide atalkd[4472]: zip_getnetinfo for eth1
Jul 16 15:14:34 netguide atalkd[4472]: zip gnireply from 46.173 (eth2 ba)
Jul 16 15:14:34 netguide atalkd[4472]: zip ignoring gnireply
Jul 16 15:14:41 netguide atalkd[4472]: rtmp_packet gateway 12.84 up
Jul 16 15:14:42 netguide atalkd[4472]: zip_getnetinfo for eth1
Jul 16 15:14:43 netguide atalkd[4472]: rtmp_packet gateway 46.173 up
Jul 16 15:14:52 netguide atalkd[4472]: zip_getnetinfo for eth1
Jul 16 15:15:02 netguide atalkd[4472]: as_timer configured eth1 phase 2
from seed
Jul 16 15:15:15 netguide papd[4496]: restart (1.4b2+asun2.0a12)
Jul 16 15:15:21 netguide papd[4496]: register netguide:LaserWriter@*
Jul 16 15:15:21 netguide afpd[4498]: netguide:AFPServer@Edu-Netguide
started on 54.112:130 (1.4b2+asun2.0a12)
Jul 16 15:15:21 netguide afpd[4498]: ASIP started on 130.227.158.2:548(1)
(1.4b2+asun2.0a12)

According to this, it should have gistered itself on the Edu-NetGuide zone,
but it has not.

npblkup gives me:
[root@netguide etc]# ../bin/nbplkup @Undervisning
[root@netguide etc]# ../bin/nbplkup @Edu-NetGuide
                       netguide:LaserWriter                        54.112:128
                       netguide:netatalk                           54.112:4
                       netguide:Workstation                        54.112:4

So there is definitely something wrong. It places the network adresses in
the wrong zone ! And does not show the other entries in this zone. The
1.4b2 works perfectly. So I have returned to that for the time being

Atalkd.conf contains:
eth2 -seed -phase 2 -net 1-49 -addr 10.112 -zone "Edu-NetGuide"
eth1 -seed -phase 2 -net 50-99 -addr 54.112 -zone "Undervisning"

---
Povl H. Pedersen                                   NetGuide Scandinavia AB
Phone: +45 8618 1823    Cellular: +45 4093 5511    Fax:   +45 8612 4680
Homepage: http://www.netguide.dk/~pope / e-mail: mailto:[email-masked]
Macintosh/UNIX/Windows specialist. Microsoft Certified Professional

---

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 10:19:15 -0700 (PDT)

get a12-patchlet-2.gz from ftp.u.washington.edu. i didn't realize that
libc5's netinet/in.h doesn't end up including endian.h. the problems
you're experiencing look like byte-order problems as a consequence.

-a