Subject: Re: netatalk 1.4b2 and Mac OS 8

From: Carl Olsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 97 12:23:38 +1000

I have exactly the same problem with all the versions of Mac OS 8 that I 
have tried.

>Has anyone tried running netatlk and accessing it from a Mac OS 8 client?
>I'm having problems with files on a netatalk (1.4b2 on Linux 2.0.28) 
>server disappearing & reappearing in the Mac OS 8 Finder.  The 
>probability of this happening increases with large directories (several 
>hundered files), but isn't limited to occurring with large directories.  
>I've seen it happen with a directory with as few as seven items.
>Before submitting this to [email-masked], I wanted to find out if 
>anyone else has tried this and has (or hasn't) seen this behavior.  BTW, 
>I'm running Mac OS 8.0f5.
>
>
>Jay O'Conor
>[email-masked]
>

+---------------------------------------------------------------------+
| CARL OLSEN                          Email: [email-masked]    |
| Key Software Pty. Ltd.              Phone: +61-4-1117-3004 (Mobile) |
| Database & Network Consultants      Fax:   +61-2-9398-4294          |
+---------------------------------------------------------------------+

---

From: [email-masked] (William P. McGonigle)
Date: 27 Jun 97 13:15:44 EDT

I had this problem with earlier versions, and reported it as a bug.  It seemed
to be related to network size.   It wouldn't work at work (183 zones) but would
work at home (2 zones).  Someone else had the same problem at another large
university.

With F4, it's working for me again.

-Bill