Subject: [netatalk-admins] atalkd: can't get interfaces, exiting (Solaris 2.5.1)

From: Os Tyler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 12:35:48 -0700

Netatalk 1.4b2 on Sparc4 running Solaris 2.5.1

I was previously having the following problem:

Solaris file systems mounted on the mac appear as an empty file menu.
Copying from the Mac to the Sparc is possible but copying from the Sparc to
the Mac is not, as no files can be seen.

I heard this might have been caused by compiling with /usr/ucb rather than
with gcc.

So I switched to compiling with gcc and followed these steps:

make kinstall clean
make install clean
make clean

make
make install
make kinstall

Now at boot, or from /usr/local/atalk/etc when I start atalkd (by typing
atalkd) I get the message "atalkd: can't get interfaces, exiting."

Suggestions?

---

From: Tim Rand <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 15:38:16 -0500

>So I switched to compiling with gcc and followed these steps:

Just a quick guess.  Security...  You probably have write access, but not
read access.   Thus you have a "drop folder" situation.  You can write, but
not see anything.  This can be verified by issuing a "chmod a+rwx" on a
file in the directory and seeing if you can see it on the Mac.  (reminder,
you have to close the folder and re-open to refresh the file list).