Subject: [netatalk-admins] a17.1 patchlet

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 1997 14:44:39 -0800 (PST)

i've made available a small patchlet which should help my patches
compile under solaris. let me know if it works. it also fixes the use
of "real" user names by ignoring unnecessary parts of the gecos
field. as always, it's at ftp.u.washington.edu:/public/asun.

-a

---

From: Jeff Wiegley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 1997 20:24:23 -0800

printing and sharing working great with netatalk!

But of course the boss comes in today and says...
"Why isn't the file permissions working correctly?"

My reponse is: "Hey you finally got a file server that
stays up longer than 4 hours, live with that much".

But alas I don't sign the checks.  I have several
users all have a unique name and a unique group identical
to their username (ala RedHet) additionally I have
four more groups of peoples, call these groups A,B,C,D to
which multiple people also belong.

I have a shared directory structure which belongs to the
general group A underneath this I have subdirectories
which belong to groups B,C and D.

what I want to do is this:

if a user creates a new file it should be owned by them
but the group should be set to that of the parent
directory which the new file belongs to.

I accomplished this by changing the permissions of the
direcotries to drwsrws--- this should cause new files
to be of the proper group and any member of the group
should have full access to the file.

this is working correctly.

however, the problem appears to be that if a user creates
a new folder in the directory it is owned/grouped properly
but the permissions are set to drwxrwx--- and now if the
user create files under this new subdirectory nobody can
use them because they are getting the users userid and
group and not inheriting the group of the parental structure
because the "s" bits aren't set.

How does one do file permissions correctly or what are all
you other gurus doing to solve this problem?

Please enlighten me, I would really love to win this boss
over that this *really* is the solution that works.

- Jeff Wiegley