Subject: [netatalk-admins] Any manual regarding AppleTalk network?

From: Yeak Nai Siew <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 1997 14:25:46 +0800

Hi all,

I think I am extrememly interested in computer networking although my major
is not in this field. I have been trying to gather and learn this thing for
quite  long time, and most of the manuals I found is about TCP/IP routing.

I hardly find any AppleTalk routing stuffs, thing like zone and etc. Does
anyone know a good book or information on the Web?

I need to solve a weird networking problem I have in my company.

Zone "A"         Zone "B"          Zone "C"
--------         --------          --------
netatalk 1.4b2   NT 4.0            NT 4.0

All computers can "sense" there are three zones available. They can connect
to each other even across zones without problem, but not from "C" to "A"!
"A" to "C" is okay (surprise me)...

I don't know why... probably at Zone "B" I have a machine which does not do
routing (only has one ethernet card), but to broadcast Seed information and
name that zone as Zone "B".

The connection between zone "A" and "B" is maintained by a Linux server
running netatalk 1.4b2, which has two ethernet cards. It responsible for
the seeding of zone "A".

The connection between zone "B" and "C" is maintained by a NT 4.0 server,
which has two ethernet cards. It responsible for the seeding of zone "C".

I am not sure if it is NT 4.0 problem. I would say it is. But it may be due
to my inexperience in AppleTalk networking. I will be very delighted if
someone could point me to the right direction.

Thanks!

Yeak Nai Siew                              << Macintosh Forever >>
MIR Communications Sdn Bhd                  http://www.mir.com.my/
Creator of Mac Power User Group        http://www.mir.com.my/mpug/
Public Key                     http://www.mir.com.my/~yeak/pgp.txt

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 1997 14:09:07 -0500

> From:     Yeak Nai Siew <[email-masked]>

> anyone know a good book or information on the Web?

 Apple's InsideMacintosh:Networking book, at:

 http://gemma.apple.com/dev/techsupport/insidemac/Networking/Networking-2.html

 is a good reference.  Somewhere in devworld/apple.com is the Inside Appletalk
 book, as well, if you need more.

 EV
 AN