Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] problem to login with more users

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 15:28:50 +0100

> At 12:52 Uhr +0100 17.10.1997, tom rossmark wrote:
> >Hello, I have a applenetwork to use a omnis database program. I have
> >installed netatalk 1.14b  on red head, to use as a fileserver. When I
> >login with 1 user it works OK. When I try to login with a second user in
> >my datafile, I get "acces denied to omnis data". I tried with several
> >users, passwords and so on. Can somebodey advise me? Thanks Tom Rossmark
> 
> this sounds to me as if your omnis db opens the file(s) of the database for
> the first user and wont let it (them) be opened a second time for a second
> user. as far as I understand your approach you want to make the database
> multiuser by simple filesharing - I doubt if that will work.
> 
> greetings
> gregor

We have an OMNIS database application running on our DOS/Windows PCs with
NFS to Sun UNIX fileservers. To get it to work, we MUST mount the database
network drive /ms (MUSTSHARE). We have yet to get our Mac user up and
running through Netatalk 1.4b2 and when we have time will make use of our
expensive support contract with OMNIS. We must also ensure the database is
Read/Write enabled under UNIX for the whole group of users, even though
they only want to read stuff.

Callum