Subject: [netatalk-admins] Slow AppleTalk zone?

From: Yeak Nai Siew <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 97 14:14:39 +0800

Hi all,

I divided a network into two zone: Earth, Moon. Both are two small LANs 
by itself.

At Earth, there are 40 Macs/printers, 1 NT 4.0. The NT is broadcasting 
the AppleTalk zone called Earth. It has network range 1-1.

At Moon, there are 8 Macs, 1 Linux box. The Linux box has two Ethernet 
interface: eth0 connecting to Earth zone and eth1 connecting to Moon 
zone. It is in between of two zones. This linux is broadcasting the zone 
Moon at eth1. I use Netatalk 1.4b2. Before I am using Netatalk, I was 
using NT 4.0 to do this routing stuff.

!!NOW THE PROBLEM!!
The settings seems okay except the speed is slow between zones. I am not 
sure if it is netatalk problem or the physical cable problem. The 
distance between this two small LANs is within 100 meter, which I don't 
think is the cable issue...

At Moon side, I can see the Macs/printers listed on Earth from the 
chooser easily. On Earth side, it takes a bit time to list the computers 
on Moon side. It takes about 10 seconds or more to see! Can't be that 
slow. Last time while I use NT 4.0 server, it only take less than 1 
second to see each other. No problem for file transfer, printing, or 
whatever under NT 4.0.

What could be wrong? I have set the nice value for atalkd to -10, seems 
doesn't help.

Does anyone else has this problem? How do you solve it?

Thanks.

--
Yeak Nai Siew                              << Macintosh Forever >>
Director, MIR Communications Sdn Bhd        http://www.mir.com.my/
Creator of Mac Power User Group        http://www.mir.com.my/mpug/
Fingerprint    @_pgp_@    3A6D 05D3 A3CE B8B7  20C3 CD63 DE82 732D