Subject: [netatalk-admins] Preferred method of accessing from PPP ?

From: John Grant <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 22:52:04 -0700

What's the preferred method for allowing PPP access to appletalk services
via netatalk ? I see that it is not directly supported.

The most likely candidate looks like ARNS with atppp, but it's all a bit
CAP and looks like it just creates a router, it makes no mention about a
local server. If I want the (Solaris) machine to be a netatalk server *and*
allow PPP dial-in supporting TCP/IP and appletalk what's the approach ?

The response that netatalk/tcp is *really* just around the corner and all
this can be forgotten before the end of September is an acceptable
solution, if anyone cares to make it.

---

                                John

---

From: Eric C Wagner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 13:23:38 -0400 (EDT)

Actually netatalk/tcp is not just around the corner, its already here.
I've been using asun's patches on two computers for about two weeks now.
Both computers are accessable through a normal PPP connection. Just make
sure you have the new appleshare client.

/*\*/*\*/*\*/*\*/*\*/*\*/*\*/*\*/*\*/*\*/*\*/*\*/*\*/*\*/*\*/*\*/*\*/*\*/*\*/*\*
Eric Wagner                               Phone : 313-647-5525
1962 Cooley Building                      Fax   : 313-763-4540
University of Michigan                    E-Mail: [email-masked]
Ann Arbor, MI 48109                       WWW   : http://www.umich.edu/~wagnerer

Quote of the day:  The most important thing in the programming language is the 
                   name.  A language will not succeed without a good name. I 
                   have recently invented a very good name and now I am looking 
                   for a suitable language.
                      -----D. E. Knuth, 1967

---

From: Carl Beaudry <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 13:42:44 -0400

> I've been using asun's patches on two computers for about two weeks

Ok, I'll ask the dumb but necessary question: *Where* *exactly* are
those patches?

So far I've followed two purported URLS which led to the "miscellaneous
patches" pages at U.M., (one posted on this list and the other on
Macintouch) and found nothing that even *looked* like Appleshare/TCP
patches for netatalk, (though I did scrounge up some for CAP).

So if you could please please please point me (and anyone else who is
curious and baffled as I am) to the site of those patches, using shiny,
red, boldfaced and droolproof letters, I'd be most appreciative.

--Carl (wondering if I'm the only one who couldn't see these things)

---

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 10:59:20 -0700 (PDT)

okay, i'll respond. 

if you look at the other patches url
(<http://www.umich.edu/~rsug/netatalk/patches/other/>), you should
notice something called "afp/tcp patches to 1.4b2." they point to the
ftp site (<ftp://ftp.u.washington.edu/public/asun/>) where i house my
patches. is that good enough? 

the a14 patches are the latest. they correct a long-standing netatalk
bug w/ icons, so you might want to delete the contents of your
.AppleDesktop directory. you might crash your client machine if you
don't. you should only see this problem manifest in my patches because
i don't limit the sizes of icons that i send to the client. 1.4b2 does
impose an implicit limit.

-a

---

From: "Christopher C. Chimelis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 14:03:35 -0400 (EDT)

> red, boldfaced and droolproof letters, I'd be most appreciative.

The patched version of netatalk is at:
	ftp.u.washington.edu:/public/asun
The latest version on there should also work nicely with MacOS8...or so
I've heard (don't have OS8 in yet).

Also, I initially asked the same question, since the patches aren't really
all that easy to locate (ie, not pointed to with URL links from anywhere
for the WWW-oriented users).

I was just wondering, if someone was willing to write a web page or two
regarding the TCP-enabled netatalk package, I would be willing to host the
pages.  I don't have cavernous amounts of disk space, but I definitely
have enough to host the distribution of the package until such time as the
patches are incorporated into the mainstream netatalk distribution.  I
also have ftp space available should that be needed also.

Let me know please as I think that TCP support is something that seems to
be more and more in demand lately.

FYI, I have tested the TCP-enabled netatalk and it worked
great for me, but since I didn't really need the extra features, I
reverted back to the original netatalk v1.4b.

Chris
------------------------------------------------------------------
 Christopher C. Chimelis          [email-masked]
 Systems Supervisor
 Division of Biomedical Communications
 University of Miami School of Medicine
 --> finger [email-masked] for PGP public key <--

---

From: John Grant <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 12:42:01 -0700

>patches. is that good enough?

As I suspected, the Solaris part is described as buggy (at least in the
STREAMS module). Before I embark on a long wasted installation - is there
anyone out there running Solaris who has built this *and* kept it installed
? If not - anybody care to guess when it will be in good enough shape ?

My criteria for looking at installation:

- remote PPP connectivity, pref. without adding extra routers etc.
- not thrilled with current appletalk performance, esp on directory searches

Future dream:

- aliases (fileIDs) that are actually useful !

---

                                John

---

From: Stelios Valavanis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 23:14:19 -0500

is IP printing supported in netatalkIP? on appleshare servers, i believe
the print server now allows IP connections to it but they still go out as
appletalk. i'm sure linux could print any damn way it wants. man, i think
we need to install netatalkIP on our own lan now.

>sure you have the new appleshare client.

  _________________________________________________________
    stel valavanis     mailto:[email-masked]     http://www.onShore.com/

---

From: Eric C Wagner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 15:31:04 -0400 (EDT)

As far as I know a sun's patches only modify the apple share section of
the package to enable IP. I didn't realize any of the printing clients had
IP capablities but I would think that most unix machines would support IP
printing even if natalk wasn't installed.

Quote of the day:  UNNAMED LAW: If it happens, it must be possible.

---

From: Stelios Valavanis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 15:10:33 -0500

yeah but this is not lpr/lpd. i'll look into it more and get back to the
list. i have a mac here with it set up i can test with.

---

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 13:57:46 -0700 (PDT)

re: printing services, here's what's currently available w/ netatalk
and your typical mac:

	(unix) lpr -> pap -> appletalk printer
	(mac) laserwriter 8 -> papd -> lpd -> printer

to see printers across a ppp line, you'll need to either tunnel ddp in
ip or get a ppp which supports appletalk. i'm under the impression
that apple's soon-to-be-released laserwriter 8.5 will allow printing
over tcp/ip via lpd. with the appropriate setup, then, you should
either be able to directly print to an ethernetted printer that
supports lpd or via a pap spooler if it doesn't. does that clear up
things?

-a (is for adrian)

---

From: "Michael M. Freeman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 13:13:43 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 14 Aug 1997, a sun wrote:

> over tcp/ip via lpd.

Laserwriter 8.5 does support IP (LPR/LP ???) printing (check Apple's WWW
site for the Laserwriter 8500 annoucement).

						Regards
						Mike