Subject: [netatalk-admins] HFS compatible CDs

From: Simon Hefti <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 16:00:40 +0100

Hi,
I am new here and am just trying to find out how to burn a Macintosh
compatible CD on the Linux box. I am using netatalk and have copied
all the files I want to have on the CD to the Linux machine via
netatalk. Now there should be a way to include the .AppleDouble information
in such a way on the CD that the Mac will find it ?

Any help is appreciated. Simon.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hefti Simon                                            [email-masked]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: John Ostrowick <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 19:09:11 +0200 (SAT)

you have absolutely no chance of succeeding. the .appledouible stuff is
reunified with the othger stuff by afpd. so unless that cd is mounted on
an afpd server it will never be usable.

____________________________________________________________
John Ostrowick
[email-masked], +27 11 716-3783
Computer Science Department, University of the Witwatersrand   
Web site, ftp site and listserv all available at: 
http://macaroni.cs.wits.ac.za/

---

From: Vivek <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 17:26:48 +0000 (GMT)

> an afpd server it will never be usable.

Hang on though - couldn't you use the afpfs module to reimport the
netatalk shared directory into the linux box, and use that to make an hfs
filesystem, which could then be burned onto the CD?

directory_with_.Appledoubles--->netatalk--->afpfs--->hfs--->CD

--
fsck -f -b 8193 /dev/cortex

---

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 10:32:26 -0800 (PST)

well, you might want to check out
<http://www.ps.ucl.ac.uk/~jcpearso/mkhfs.html>. it almost does what's
wanted. the only thing that's needed is modifications to the code to
understand netatalk's appledouble layout. i suppose the above scenario
is one possible solution to achieving that, but it shouldn't be hard
to modify mkhfs to understand netatalk's format as well.

-a

---

From: Andrew Solmssen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 11:12:24 -0800 (PST)

Why are you guys killing yourselves to do this?  A copy of Toast for the
mac is < $100, and CD burners are SCSI. Just unhook it and move it to the
Mac, mount the linux box and copy the files over.

---- Andrew

---

From: Nicolai Langfeldt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 09:24:50 +0100

> Mac, mount the linux box and copy the files over.

Or even: Make a image with toast on the mac and copy it to the linux via
netatalk and burn the image!

Nicolai