Subject: [netatalk-admins] stopping atalk kills ethernet

From: Paul Gregg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 1997 14:08:40 +0000

I'm posting this, hoping it gets to the list (as my subscription effort
hasn't been passed by the moderator yet). I'll check the list archive web
site for responses but I'd appreciate being Cc: on any :)

Anyway, I've been running Netatalk on my SS20/Solaris 2.5 machine for a couple
of weeks now and have run into a *big* problem.

We have one Mac 7600 (7.5.3) using the Netatalk to access a group server
(for data backup purposes). Anyway, occasionally the Mac will crash taking
both afpd processes with it - I don't know whyit kills the parent, but it
does.

Logs show the following:
Aug  1 11:07:50 sparcy afpd[7878]: afp_die: asp_shutdown: Connection timed out
However this doesn't appear to be related (synchronised with the crashes) to
the problem, but:
When I do /etc/init.d/atalk stop the following occurs:
Aug  4 10:34:33 sparcy atalkd[202]: as_down remove le0 65280.206 failed: No such
 file or directory

And the machine becomes unresponsive to all IP traffic - to all its 
(about 100) IP interfaces.

I then have to manually reboot the sparc at console.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Paul Gregg
--
 The Internet Business Ltd, Holywood House, Innis Court, Holywood, BT18 9HF
 [email-masked]                                     http://www.tibus.net/
            Phone: +44 (0)1232-424190  Fax: +44 (0)1232-424709 
           Eight out of every five people are math illiterates.