Subject: [netatalk-admins] Problems with reported file sizes - please help

From: Eric Rasmussen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 23:31:41 -0400

For several months now, I have had netatalk 1.3.3 running happily on a
Linux 2.0.30 system.  The client Macs are running System 7.1, and 7.5.1.

I recently upgraded the AFPD shared directory tree from a 100 Mb hard drive
to a 3.7 Gb partition on an even larger drive.  Although the unix system
seems to have no trouble dealing with the large partition, the Macs are
getting some crazy results.  For instance, if I open a folder that resides
on the Unix server, I get a mixture of positive and negative file sizes.
Simple actions such as dragging a small file (<100Kb) from the desktop to
the network folder now fail, telling me that it needs 900+ Mb additional
space, when in reality there is over 3 Gb free.

Let me reiterate that, from within a Unix shell account, it is clear that
the Unix system has no trouble identifying the proper file sizes and amount
of free space, nor has it had any problems moving data to/from the new
partition.

Is there some maximum partition size above which AFPD fails?  If not, does
anyone have any suggestions?  I really need to get this working again,
because it's for my place of work.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Eric Rasmussen ([email-masked])

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eric Rasmussen
FIRST : For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology
[email-masked], 800-871-8326, 603-666-0043 (fax), http://www.usfirst.org

---

From: James Goodlet <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 1997 10:31:01 +0100

On Fri, 1 Aug 1997 23:31:41 -0400 [email-masked] (Eric Rasmussen)

> because it's for my place of work.  Any help would be greatly

i don't know about afpd, but there is certainly a maximum for afp.  for
systems prior to 7.5.1 (using appleshare client 3.5 or later), the
maximum afp volume size is 2Gb.  anything larger will cause problems
such as you are seeing.  with system 7.5.1 and later, maximum afp volume
size is 4Gb.  apple's til has much info on this:  recommendation is to
use a system *later* than 7.5.1 and appleshare client *later* than 3.5.

james

---

From: Alistair Riddell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 09:45:30 +0100 (BST)

System < 7.5 will produce strange results with AFPD volumes >2GB.
System 7.5 to 7.5.3 are all OK up to 4GB.
System 7.5.4 and newer can work with network volumes up to 4TB IIRR.

--
Alistair Riddell - BOFH
IT Support Department, George Watson's College, Edinburgh
Tel: +44 131 447 7931 Ext 176       Fax: +44 131 452 8594

---

From: Eric Rasmussen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 08:32:44 -0400

>use a system *later* than 7.5.1 and appleshare client *later* than 3.5.

I split the 3.7 GB partition into 2.0 and 1.7 GB partitions, and now
it's working.

Thanks,

-Eric Rasmussen

---

From: Eric Rasmussen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 08:33:54 -0400

Thanks,

-Eric Rasmussen