Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Mac OS 8 and netatalk volumes--jumpy Find

From: Jay <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 97 15:31:15 -0700

Michael May writes:
>I have seen this problem mentioned once or twice, but have seen no
>response/solution. Perhaps it is rare? Anyway, here's the problem:
>
>Under Mac OS 8, and linux netatalk 1.4b2, Finder windows displaying files
>on a netatalk volume are "jumpy". The total number of files will show
>correctly, then 10 sec later will briefly jump up about 20%, then back
>down, and repeat every 10 secs or so... Some of the files are listed twice
>when the total file number jumps up. These file "duplicates" then disappear
>when the file number listing goes back to normal.
>
>This behavior is seen on a 2GB netatalk volume with a total of several
>thousand files. The root directory, however, has only 90 or so "items,"
>which then jump up to about 110 items (the number can vary slightly) when
>the problem occurs.
>
>This problem never occured under OS 7.6. Also, a regular AppleShare volume
>mounted on the same computer (Quadra 610) does not have the problem.
>
>Any clues?

I'm one of those that has complained about this problem for some time 
now.  Unfortunately it appears that no one that is active with the 
netatalk source has seen this. :-(

As for clues, it _appears_ to only affect files that are not created by a 
Mac client.  E.g., files that pre-existed on the server - and are mapped 
to Macintosh file types by the .AppleVolumes file.

I have no problems with files created by Mac client, and I have no 
problems with files that pre-existed on the server, but are not mapped to 
a Mac type/creator.

Note that my testing has been very limited, so these observations may not 
be conclusive.

As far as I'm concerned, netatalk is completely unusable under Mac OS 8.  
This is a shame, 'cuz prior to Mac OS 8, it worked like a champ.

Jay O'Conor
[email-masked]

---

From: Michael May <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 16:04:20 -0700

Thanks for the info, Jay.

>it _appears_ to only affect files that are not created by a

It appears on our server that non-Mac-created files that both are and are
_not_ mapped to Mac file types are affected. It does seem true that
Mac-created files do not have the prob.

>As far as I'm concerned, netatalk is completely unusable under Mac OS 8.

File listings in open and save dialogues seem to behave normally. I have
been cautiously using our netatalk server under OS 8 in spite of this prob,
and have not suffered any file loss, etc.

----------------------------
Michael May
San Francisco Estuary Institute
(510) 231-9539

---

From: "William R. Dickson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 16:18:54 -0700 (PDT)

> >As far as I'm concerned, netatalk is completely unusable under Mac OS 8.

You might find it worthwhile to try Adrian Sun's latest work on Netatalk,
which (among other things) adds AFP/TCP support.  In his latest patches,
he changed something (I forget what) that has solved the problems you
describe, at least on my 6100 and 7100.

<ftp://ftp.u.washington.edu/public/asun/>

-Bill

-- 
 William R. Dickson -- Consuming the Earth's limited resources since 1968
 [email-masked]  <>  http://www.halcyon.com/wrd/  <>  VNB3T, VSC1T, VSX1T

     Lady Marian Fitzswalter:  "Why, you speak treason!"
     Sir Robin of Locksley:  "Fluently."

                                - The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938)

---

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 16:59:20 -0700 (PDT)

i think i might have an idea of what's happening here. could people
having this problem do the following:

1) find a file which likes to jump around a lot.
2) edit .AppleDouble/file and tell me if it has TEXTUNIX in it.
3) if it does, edit that to the reflect the actual type/creator for
   that file (e.g., JPEGJVWR for jpeg files). you'll need an editor
   which can deal w/ binary data.  
4) tell me if the jumping around for that file still occurs.

basically, i think there's a little war going on because netatalk is
sending os8 conflictory information on what the type/creator fields
should be. ugh.

-a