Subject: [netatalk-admins] Help with installing netatalk

From: "Andrew W. Robinson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 1997 15:44:30 -0600

Hi all,

I'm trying to install netatalk on a Solaris 2.5.1 system so that 
I may access unix files on my Mac at home over the
company-provided 
ISDN line. I've installed a lot of software, but I know little 
about networking in general and almost nothing about AppleTalk in 
particular. I don't know if this question is related to that or
not. 

My question involves the entries for /etc/services (or services
NIS 
map in my case):

rtmp            1/ddp           # Routing Table Maintenance
Protocol
nbp             2/ddp           # Name Binding Protocol
echo            4/ddp           # AppleTalk Echo Protocol
zip             6/ddp           # Zone Information Protocol

Can these port numbers be changed? In particular, port 1 is
already 
claimed by something called tcpmux. Looking through the list, the 
only doubled up port uses I see are ones for the same service but 
different protocols. In general, these port numbers are mighty
low 
and might draw the attention of other sysadmins who would object
to 
anything with the letters a-p-p-l-e that looks that tightly
coupled 
with the operating system. Large port numbers would look more
like 
"just another application" and probably attract less concern.

Thanks in advance!

Andrew Robinson
-- 
Offshore Business Unit           email: [email-masked]
Amoco Corporation                      phone: (504) 586-6888
New Orleans, LA                          fax: (504) 586-2637
-----
The events depicted herein are fictional. Any similarity to 
persons living or dead is entirely...oops, wrong disclaimer

---

From: Alistair Riddell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 1997 00:06:18 +0000 (GMT)

The entries already in your services map refer to tcp and udp services -
those that run over TCP-IP. The ones that netatalk wants you to add refer
to ddp services - those that run over the AppleTalk protocol. So there
will be no conflict between the two.

--
Alistair Riddell - BOFH
IT Support Department, George Watson's College, Edinburgh
Tel: +44 131 447 7931 Ext 176       Fax: +44 131 452 8594