Subject: [netatalk-admins] HP DeskJet Printer Appletalk Server

From: Carl Olsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 97 09:19:31 +1000

I have a HP850C printer which I currently have connected to my Linux box. 
>From here it is shared to both Windows (Samba) and Macs. 

On the windows side I can load the HP printer driver on the Windows 
machines and every thing works fine. Windows connects to the print over 
the network and spools through the Linux print spooler.

On the Mac side however the HP driver is looking for an Appletalk printer 
of type DeskWriter. Yet because the printer is not connected to appletalk 
network (it only has a localtalk port) it cannot be found.

I have tried using ghostscript and the laserWriter driver but this 
combination is not as flexible as the HP driver (Paper types, print 
quality etc). 

I have modified the LaserWriter server under CAP to act as a DeskWriter 
and the Mac Driver recognises it and will send print output to it. 
However I still have a couple of problems in relation to the "pap" 
messages the printer is sending and expecting.

1. When you select the printer in the chooser it tries to determine the 
printer type from the printer. Does any one know what it expects to see 
in the response message?

2. When I print the first print works fine. But If you do a second print 
the printer just starts flashing the green light (Power) and does not 
print. I presume there is something missing from the end of the last 
print.

3. When the HP spooler on the Mac starts sending to the printer it stalls 
for about 30 seconds before it starts sending the output to the printer.

Does anyone know were to find the definition of the PAP messages the 
DeskWriter expects?

+---------------------------------------------------------------------+
| CARL OLSEN                          Email: [email-masked]    |
| Key Software Pty. Ltd.              Phone: +61-4-1117-3004 (Mobile) |
| Database & Network Consultants      Fax:   +61-2-9398-4294          |
+---------------------------------------------------------------------+