Subject: [netatalk-admins] pap hangs

From: Trent Piepho <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 11:08:10 -0700 (PDT)

I'm running netatalk-1.4b2 on a solaris 5.5 machine.  I have pap setup with
sun's screwy sysv lp queue system.  It works most of the time, but sometime it
hangs.  I don't think the problem is with the LP stuff, as there is a
perfectly good postscript file in the queue directory and a command like:

pap -c -s /tmp/papstatus -p LaserWriter 630:LaserWriter /var/spool/.../502-1

is running.  The light on the printer is flashing like it does when it is
receiving data, except the print job has already printed!  pap is just 
sitting there hung on something.  papstatus reports:

status: busy; source: EtherTalk

Is this some known bug?  Could it be some problem with defective firmware
in the printer?

What happens if I do something like this?

pap somefile &
echo "more data" >> somefile

Will pap be able to handle more data getting added to the file before
it starts printing?  Maybe I'll try some tests.

|Gazing up to the breeze of the heavens \ on a quest, meaning, reason  |
|came to be, how it begun \ all alone in the family of the sun         |
|curiosity teasing everyone \ on our home, third stone from the sun.   |
|Trent Piepho ([email-masked])                   -- Metallica  |

---

From: Everette Gray Allen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 17:13:10 -0400

I am running papd(1.3.3) from Sun0S 4.1.x and can create print queues just
fine using papd, lpd, and pap with ps filters (ifwmrev, ofpap, etc).  All
works well.  So now I want to tell my laserwriters (16/600) to not
advertise theirselves over nbp  and only talk using ethertalk to my pap
server.  I have a ps file which I can send to the printer to tell it to
advertise itself as Lazerwriter not Laserwriter which will make it
invisible to a "standard" chooser.  This would work (because I could tell
.paprc to talk to "My printer:LazerWriter@My Zone" but this change will not
survive a reboot of the printer.
With Apple Print Spooler and Netware APCon a "daemon" process listens to
nbp broadcast and if it sees a printer which it is spooling for the
"daemon" process tells the printer to stop advertising.  I could not see a
functional equiv. in netatalk.  Did I miss something or does anyone know
how to assign a permanent AppleTalk node number to a Laserwriter and have
it talk only to the pap server (like a host access list)?  Thanks in
advance.

Everette Gray Allen                               Consultant IV
Box 7109 NCState Campus                     Computing Services
Raleigh, NC 27695-7109                       919-515-2517