Subject: [netatalk-admins] addmulti error addendum

From: Patrick Gardella <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 1997 10:50:23 -0400 (EDT)

Another FreeBSD user had the same problem.  He reports:

root@yakko# atalkd
AppleTalk not up! Child exited with 1.
Apr 30 15:58:16 yakko atalkd[5673]: addmulti: Invalid argument
Apr 30 15:59:01 yakko atalkd[5678]: addmulti: Invalid argument

This seems to be because in atalkd/main.c at about line 1300
        ioctl(s,cmd,&ifr) returns -1
        also leaving errno set as EINVAL (22)

basically, I don't get it, and really don't understand what
ioctl should be called, for this to work.

Patrick

Yesterday I posted:
I am attempting to run netatalk 1.4b2 on my FreeBSD 2.2.1 box.

I have added "option NETATALK" to my kernel conf and recompiled.

I have installed netatalk in /usr/local/atalk

It compiled fine, but now I get an error when I try to start atalkd:

AppleTalk not up! Child exited with 1.
Aug  6 15:03:26 gateway atalkd[348]: addmulti: Invalid argument

We have an AppleTalk network of 3 Macs running EtherTalk (OS 8, OS 7.5.3 and
OS 7.5.5).  The AppleTalk is running, for sure.  The ethernet card is lnc1.

I've tried without an atalkd.conf and with.  My atalkd.conf is:
lnc1 -phase 2

root@yakko# atalkd
AppleTalk not up! Child exited with 1.
Apr 30 15:58:16 yakko atalkd[5673]: addmulti: Invalid argument
Apr 30 15:59:01 yakko atalkd[5678]: addmulti: Invalid argument

This seems to be because in atalkd/main.c at about line 1300
        ioctl(s,cmd,&ifr) returns -1
        also leaving errno set as EINVAL (22)

basically, I don't get it, and really don't understand what
ioctl should be called, for this to work.

----------------------------------
E-Mail: Patrick Gardella <[email-masked]>
Date: 07-Aug-97
Time: 10:50:23

This message was sent by XFMail
----------------------------------