Subject: ushare to netatalk resource fork conversion?

From: "Patrick M. Frazer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 1997 16:59:33 -0400

Hi all-

We have a bunch of old servers, all using IPT's UShare package to
provide net access to our Solaris filsystems.  I also have a brand-new
file server (running Netatalk) with a RAID that I want to move all the
data onto.  The problem: we're talking about over 50 gigs of data and
I'd need some killer Macs (which I don't have) to move that much data in
a reasonable amount of time.

What I would rather do is to move the data from one Unix filesystem to
another, then convert the UShare resource forks into the format used by
Netatalk.  Does anyone have any ideas or pointers to get me started? 
I've done enough analysis to discover that the two packages' forks are
very different, but that's it.  Pointers to detailed specs of the
different resource fork layouts would suffice; I've already accepted the
fact that I'll probably be writing a conversion program...

Any thoughts would be appreciated...

-Patrick
   -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
   Patrick M. Frazer                          mailto:[email-masked]
   Computer Engineer                     http://www.beacon.com/~frazer
   The Beacon Group                    P 419.289.0558 x141  F 289.8923

---

From: Tim Rand <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 1997 13:13:38 -0500

>fact that I'll probably be writing a conversion program...

Try moving the resource fork files to a .AppleDouble directory under the
directory where the file resides.  This worked for me where I converted
form Wolongong's Pathway NFS format to netatalk's format.

Pathway NFS used a prefix of ._filename for the resource fork.

If the base (data fork) file name was  XYZ then resource fork was ._XYZ

I suspect that simply moving UShare's files to the right place will work.

---

From: "Patrick M. Frazer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 1997 15:28:21 -0400

> I suspect that simply moving UShare's files to the right place will work.

I wish it were that easy.  Good idea though.  Thanks to Tim, Frank
Morton and Dan Pritts for responses to my query.

The synopsis of what I've heard is to turn the Ushare data into a
MacBinary format and use Netatalk's command set built around 'megatron'
to pull it back out.  Sounds simple enough, but there's no way known to
IPT's tech support guys to turn the Ushare data and resource forks into
a MacBinary.  (Ugh!)  Having recently found the 'mcvert' package which
will turn a "real" Mac file into a MacBinary format, I'm left with the
task of turning the Ushare resource fork into a "normal" resource fork. 
The techs at IPT have provided this much information:

Offset  Description
0-32    Finder Info
33-255  Proprietary
256     Comment Length
257-456 Comment
457-511 Proprietary
512-    Resource fork data

It looks like if I can interpret and use the 32 bytes of Finder Info and
the data after offset 512 I can construct a "normal" resource fork. 
Does anyone on this list have any insight into this?  Anyone know how
the 32 bytes of Finder Info are laid out?  Anyone have some Tylenol?

-Patrick

---

From: Bill Studenmund <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 1997 14:53:27 -0700 (PDT)

> the 32 bytes of Finder Info are laid out?  Anyone have some Tylenol?

How is the finder info layed out in either an .AppleDouble file, or in a
macbinary file? If it's a block of 32 bytes, I bet it's the same, so just
directly copy it over.

Take care,

Bill

---

From: Nicolai Langfeldt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 16:16:18 +0200

> a reasonable amount of time.
...

Hi, I have much the same problem.  I'm just browsing the mailing list
archive now to see if anyone had solved it already.  Did you get any
solution?

Nicolai