Subject: [netatalk-admins] a15.2 - can't configure multicast?

From: Walter Wong <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 19:57:39 -0400 (EDT)

Short summary: 1.4b2 works; a15.2 fails with "can't configure
multicast".

Longer version: 

I compiled a15.2 with AFS enabled using cc under Solaris 2.5.1
(Generic_103640-08 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-1). However, when I try to
start atalkd it is giving me an error message that it can't configure
multicast.

I tried unloading ddp with (rem_drv ddp) and then manually adding the
ddp module from the baes 1.4b2 distribution and running the atalkd
from a15.2. Same error.  I then reloaded the ddp driver from a15.2 and
then tried to start the atalkd from 1.4b2 and that worked.

I recompiled with gcc instead of cc and recompiled with cc -g but
unfortunately it isn't just an optimization/cc bug. 

Oh, netstat -rn properly shows the multicast route. 

Walter

---

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 18:54:25 -0700 (PDT)

doh! i just realized what's happening here. i forgot that svr4 (==
solaris in this case) doesn't set up things correctly for
addmulti. i'll make a patch available in the near future. the next
patch will change the dsi read interface a little as well in
preparation for the day when mmap becomes a useful thing to do. given
the nature of macos, mmap isn't likely to provide significant gains
until the pre-emptiveness of rhapsody appears. actually, mmap works
out pretty well on linux machines, but it sucks horribly under sunos
4.1.4.

-a