Subject: [netatalk-admins] Newbie questions...

From: Brian Eric Bothwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 16:23:20 -0500 (EST)

I recently upgraded from netatalk-1.3.3-8  to version 1.4b2, and have a
few problems:

First, when I shut down the older verions of the atalkd, then tried to
fired up the new version I kept getting the "AppleTalk not up! Child
exited with 1" error  which I have read about.  I checked the logfiles and
found this error message:

Dec 2 16:29:12 wtlinux atalkd[20955]: restart
Dec  2 16:29:13 wtlinux atalkd[20955]: bind 46672.94:6: Address already in
use

After trying about everything but rebooting, I did just that:  reboot.
When the netatalk stuff came up, the new version started up without a
hitch.  Is there some better way to fix this bind problem?  Since the
machine is a web and file server, I don't want to have to reboot everytime
I want to restart netalk...

---

Also, I was using a RPM package of netatalk-1.3.3-8, which installed all
of the config files under /etc.  I compiled and installed the 1.4b2
version under /usr/local/atalk/*, and just copied the AppleVolumes.default
and AppleVolumes.system files  to /usr/local/atalk/etc

However, now the only directory that shows up when a user logs via
netatalk is their home dir.

Here is the AppleVolumes.default file
------------------------------------------------------
~ HOME 
/usr/local/www/docs WWW 
/usr/local/www/cgi CGI 
/usr/local/www/docs/andrea ANDREA
/usr/local/www/docs/webcd WEB-CD
/home/backups BACKUPS 
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl PERLLIBS

Is there something else I am missing to make these entries show up in the
chooser? It worked fine under 1.3.3

Thanks!

-Brian

PS I am running RedHat Linux 4.2

---

From: Marc Matteo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 13:39:23 -0800

>I want to restart netalk...

Update your kernel (and headers) to 2.0.32 (or there's a kernel header path
patch that I think come with asun's netatalk patch... better to update the
kernel.

Then recompile netatalk - problem solved.

>PS I am running RedHat Linux 4.2

On the Red Hat errata page there's info on updating the kernel via RPM...
but don't forget the headers too :) (I did).

Marc

Marc Matteo
Web Engineer, The Sacramento Bee
(916) 321-1242
http://www.sacbee.com