Subject: [netatalk-admins] AppleVolumes.system - Entrys

From: Christian Jung <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 13:35:56 +0100

>Check your "AppleVolumes.system" file.  It maps the PC suffix to a Mac
>type/creator.  Make sure you have something like:
>.html   TEXT    MOSS
>This will make .html files show up as Netscape files.
>.gif    GIFf    8BIM
>This will make .gif files show up a Photoshop files.

Does anybody know where I can find information about these entrys?
I dont know what MOSS or 8BIM stand for. Is there a list or something
showing that MOSS means Netscape-File or 8BIM a Photoshop-File?
As a PC user I would like some information about this AppleVolumes.system
file be included in the Netatalk package. Think there is no info yet :(

Thanks,
Christian

---

From: Vivek <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 13:22:00 +0000 (GMT)

> file be included in the Netatalk package. Think there is no info yet :(

If you place files which have the correct icons on a Mac onto a netatalk
shared volume, then look at the .AppleDouble entries for those files, you
should see an 8 character long string inside, ~25bytes from the end, like 
'TEXTUNIX' or 'PDF CARO'. Be warned, if you set the first 4 characters to
TEXT, the file will be subject to CR/LF translation [I think]. The second
half indicates which application is considered to 'own' the file. I don't
know how to view this info on a Mac - I've heard of something called
'resedit', which sounds like it might show you this info, but that's
pretty much 4th or 5th hand. This is all pretty empirical, so if someone
actually _knows_ , I'd be happy to know :). Hope this helps.

--
fsck -f -b 8193 /dev/cortex

---

From: William LeFebvre <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 08:43:01 -0500

> actually _knows_ , I'd be happy to know :). Hope this helps.

Yes, resedit will show you both type and creator codes.  You can get
resedit from the Apple web site: visit www.apple.com, and ask for the
shortcut "utilities" (enter "utilities" in the search window and click
on shortcut).  This gives you an alphabetized list of utilities that
are available for download.

				William LeFebvre
				Group sys Consulting
				<[email-masked]>
				+1 770 813 3224

---

From: Hannu Krosing <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 15:46:57 +0200

> Does anybody know where I can find information about these entrys?

One possibiliti is to use ResEdit and find out .

> file be included in the Netatalk package. Think there is no info yet :(

this is what comes with debian linux:

-------8<-------------8<-------------8<-------------8<-------------8<-------------8<------

# system-wide volumes to be exported go here:
# local directory       name of macintosh volume

# /                     "Machine Root"

# file translations go here:
# .extension filetype creator

# default translation
.       ????    UNIX

# sounds
.mod    STrk    STrk
.mid    Midi    ttxt
.aiff   AIFF    SNDM
.wav    WAV     SNDM
.au     ULAW    SNDM

# video
.moov   MooV    ttxt
.mov    MooV    ttxt
.mpg    MPEG    mMPG
.mpeg   MPEG    mMPG

# formatted text
.html   TEXT    MOS!
.htm    TEXT    MOS!
.rtf    TEXT    MSWD
.doc    WDBN    MSWD

# compressed archives
.bin    BINA    MB2P
.zip    ZIP     ZIP
.tar    TARF    TAR!
.gz     Gzip    Gzip
.Z      ZIVM    LZIV
.sea    ????    SITx
.cpt    PACT    CPCT
.sit    SIT!    SIT!
.hqx    TEXT    SITx

# graphics
.tiff   TIFF    JVWR
.tif    TIFF    JVWR
.bmp    BMPp    JVWR
.pct    PICT    ttxt
.pict   PICT    ttxt
.jpeg   JPEG    JVWR
.jpg    JPEG    JVWR
.gif    GIFf    JVWR

-------8<-------------8<-------------8<-------------8<-------------8<------

---

From: Bill Stewart-Cole <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 14:37:21 -0600

Tom Watson said:

>In previous email, Christian Jung wrote:
>
>The entries shown above (TEXT, and MOSS for example) are the mac's 'type' and
>'creator' codes.  The first (the type code) indicates various file types,
>application, text file, gif file, etc..  The second indicates the default
>program to launch when double clicking on the document.  On the PC, this is
>usually indicated by the extension of the file.

A great explanation.

It is also useful for people not familiar with this to recognize that the
type and creator are separate tags that every file has. There is not a 1:1
mapping of type to creator, so you don't always have all files of a
specific type edited by the same application. It's a bit different from the
DOS extension system in that sense. The AppleVolumes.system list is an
attempt to map extensions roughly to a type/creator pair, something the
MacOS itself will do (with the PC Exchange list) if it knows that the
volume it is looking at is a DOS volume.

>There are some programs that show the type & creator codes for a particular
>file, but the one that I'm the happiest with is called 'Snitch'.  It modifies
>the 'Get Info...' screen to show the type & creator codes, and allows
>changing
>them.  If you have the program in question, create a small 'test' file and
>see
>what type/creator codes it comes up with.  Apple registers creator codes so
>that they may be unique, and has defined a couple of type codes (TEXT is
>one of
>them) as 'standard'.  There may be a definitive list of PC type file
>extensions
>and their mapping to type/creator codes, but I'm not sure where it is.

This is maddening, because at some point I managed to find a good list
(there can't really be a 'definitive' one) of 246 mappings and I massaged
it into a AppleVolumes file, and I cannot recall where it came from. It is
a bit long for the mailing list (or is it? ) and it is somewhat
idiosyncratic. (TEXT is BBEdit for example...)

There is also a program called "IC2netatalk" at
http://www.roelle.i3w.com/linux/netatalk/IC2netatalk/IC2netatalk.sit.hqx
which is supposed to be able to spit out a AppleVolumes.system file based
on the IC settings. I have not tried it.

A smaller (but reasonable-looking) list is at
http://www.stpt.usf.edu/staff/johnson/linux/AppleVolumes.system.txt

----
Bill Stewart-Cole
This space for rent. Inquire within.

---

From: Bill Stewart-Cole <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 17:26:44 -0600

>idiosyncratic. (TEXT is BBEdit for example...)

I surrender!

It is amazing how many people actually wanted this list.

Note that it is actually now 291 file mappings, which means 291 extensions,
NOT 291 Mac types and creators. .tif and .tiff for example are both TIFF's
and there are many (61 to be exact) extensions I map as BBEdit text files,
because they appear to be text

The mappings are something of a matter of taste. The source is some list i
found somewhere and quickly forgot plus my own choices for things.

The file is at http://web.finan.com/AppleTypes.txt

----
Bill Stewart-Cole