Subject: [netatalk-admins] Problems with permissions using 1.4b2

From: Peter Thornewell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 13:06:17 -0600

All,

I've problems when attempting to set up a "Drop Box" server using netatalk
1.4b2 (strictly netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.0a15.2). The idea of a Drop Box server
is simple - its a server where everyone has write access to each other's
area's but no one has read access accept to their own Drop Box i.e.

/Drop_Boxes/		root	root	rwxrwxr-x
/Drop_Boxes/peter/	peter	dbusers	rwx-w--w-
/Drop_Boxes/ernst/	ernst	dbusers rwx-w--w-

Firstly this fails - I get an error that the file I'm copying into ernst's
drop box can not be found. If I cahnge the permissions to

/Drop_Boxes/		root	root	rwxrwxr-x
/Drop_Boxes/peter/	peter	dbusers	rwx-wx-wx
/Drop_Boxes/ernst/	ernst	dbusers rwx-wx-wx

I can now write files into ernst's drop box but the icon has changed (no
longer the usual locked folder with a down pointing arrow), but still the
files in ernst's drop box are correctly unavailable for me to read.

The main problem occurs when I correctly drop a file into ernst's drop box.
I can write the file (as I'm a member of dbusers), but ernst is
subsequently unable to read it. He sees that the file is there but the
creator code is not correct nor is he able to copy the file. On inspection
the dropped file has permissions

filename		peter	dbusers	rw--w--w-
.AppleDouble/filename	peter	dbusers	rw--w--w-

i.e. I still own the file I dropped and hence the reason that ernst is
unable to copy it or see the correct file type (which is buried in tyhe
.AppleDouble portion of the file).

Firstly can anyone duplicate these problems, and suprisingly secondly can
anyone fix them? This system of Drop Boxes works fine under System 7 File
Sharing but it is of course limitted to 10 connections and no TCP/IP access.

FYI I'm runng netatalk under Linux RedHat release 4.3 (2.0.30 kernel).

TIA,

Pete

**********************************************
Pete Thornewell
Los Alamos National Laboratory
Los Alamos NM 87545
tel. (505) 667-0685
fax. (505) 665-4121
**********************************************