Subject: [netatalk-admins] Solaris 2.5

From: bertrand bourdon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 18:34:50 +0100

Hi,
I'm junior in Solaris and in Netatalk.
I'd like to know how to access an AppleTalk printer from netatalk under
Solaris 2.5, considering the fact that you have no longer lpd ant its printcap
file. Couldn't managed to found how to had it with lpadmin and didn't 
find any clue in the FAQ.

Thanks for your help.

		Bertrand Bourdon
-- 
======================================================================
Bertrand Bourdon                Ingenieur Systeme
DER Genie Informatique          E-mail : [email-masked] 
Pole Leonard de Vinci           Tel    (00-33-1)41167465
 	     92916  PARIS LA DEFENSE CEDEX, France.   
======================================================================

---

From: Edan Idzerda <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 13:08:38 -0400 (EDT)

I don't want to belong to the "Patch of The Day Club" either, but
doesn't it strike ANYONE on the netatalk team that maybe, just 
maybe, this kind of question could go on a web page somewhere?

> find any clue in the FAQ.

And it definitely is a FAQ.  

You can use the undocumented pipe support in papd.  For instance, 
I essentially use:

printer:\
	:pr=|lpr -Pprinter
	:ppd=/your/ppd/file.ppd

I also use LPRng, but you should be able to get it work with
lp.

Good luck.

- edan

---

From: [email-masked] (Hanno Foest)
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 19:55:23 +0200 (MET DST)

> file.

http://www.crewes.ucalgary.ca/~henry/doc/sun/atalk_printer_setup.html

Hanno

---

From: Edan Idzerda <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 14:15:09 -0400 (EDT)

> http://www.crewes.ucalgary.ca/~henry/doc/sun/atalk_printer_setup.html

This is a nice description of using an Appletalk printer with the
lp system in Solaris 2.5.

I'm a goon for thinking he wanted to go the other way.

I'll ask again, while I'm filling people's mailboxes with crap:

Has anyone had any luck printing to papd with anything besides
the LaserWriter 8 driver?

- edan

---

From: Tom Arseneault <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 17:37:34 -0700 (PDT)

I also have asked this question but got no good answers. I saw one other
person ask this a couple of months ago but did not see an answer. I would
ask that the answer be posted to the list and added to the FAQ. This is
the reason I am still running CAP on a SUNOS machine, that is currently
dying a rather painfull death. I would also like to hear how to print to
remote printers (I think it has something to do with pipes but I am also
unclear on the syntax of the papd.conf file, the small examples in the
documentation were not enuf, I guess I be thick)

On a second note, I am mainly a PC and Unix person and have little Mac
knowdgle and would appreciate it if some on could point me to a tutorial
on all those options  in the AppleVolumes system are and how to use them.

Thanks in advance.

Tom Arseneault
[email-masked]
Sr. System Admin.
SRI International

---

From: Andrew Croke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 17:18:30 +1000 (EST)

I recently bought an HP 6MP and could not get the HP supplied driver to
work. I found that HP are putting their own header in front of the
Postscript header and all I got was 0 byte spool files.

I got things going with the HP Laserjet 4MP driver and PPD supplied with
the printer.  Things are working fine.

Cheers,

--------------------------------------------------------------

Andrew Croke				P.O. Box 451
University of Melbourne			Nth Melbourne 3051