Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Personal File Sharing IP?

From: Dave Zarzycki <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 97 12:30:14 -0700

On 7/11/97 11:29 AM, Eric Dubiel-CED016 
([email-masked]) wrote:

>Does anyone know if you use Apple's Personal File Sharing with the
>AppleShare 3.7 code if it can do IP, or is this *only* if you have a
>server?  (If true, that's *REALLY* dumb)

If you install the AppleShare Workstation client 3.7, it only changes the 
software that deals with communication to a server. The software that 
allows for personal file sharing is a separate piece of software. The 
client is not some magical piece of software that transforms the personal 
file sharing (server) code. If we translate your question into the web 
arena, we get this:

If I install Netscape Navigator version X, and it supports HTTP/1.1, does 
that mean my old Netscape Web Server that supports HTTP/1.0 will support 
the new HTTP/1.1 features?

No, the client and the server BOTH need to be upgraded to support this.

>Somehow, I'd think it'd go IP, and Apple doesn't want the cat out of the
>bag, since then less people would buy the AppleShare IP Server
>products...  Anyone have a definitive answer, perhaps from some
>documentation?  If this functionality does not exist in personal file
>sharing, does anyone know what the timeframe is for inclusion?

Personal File Sharing is not optimized for prime time, even if it did 
support afp over tcp. It has a hard limit of 10 connected users and the 
performance isn't that great. About the documentation, well, trust, me, I 
tested ASIP. About the timeframe, I don't know, and if I did, I couldn't 
say.

davez

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Dave Zarzycki                                Student
Workgroup Server QA Tester                   San Jose State University
Apple Computer, Inc.                         [email-masked]
[email-masked]                           [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------

PGP Fingerprints:
DSS/Diffie-Hellman: CB9E 2621 B4BA 3F96 3516  B312 15B4 D842 3809 EF99
RSA:                     8AF2 1040 8A9C D025  47BE 70DD A51C C887

Contact pgpkeys.mit.edu for my public keys.