Subject: [netatalk-admins] specifying zones with nbplkup?

From: patrick finerty <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 13:49:05 -0600

hi folks,

we have a large mac network in this building (a zone for each
floor). there is a color LaserWriter upstairs that i would like to
print to but i can't figure out how to specify the zone.

if i just want to see LaserWriters in the zone i'm currently in, i can 
do this and it works as expected.

==============================================================================
1:35pm zinc-> nbplkup ":LaserWriter"
         HP LaserJet 4Si:LaserWriter                        58624.131:157
              6110 hp4mp:LaserWriter                        58624.129:157
Bass Lab HP LaserJet 4Si:LaserWriter                        58624.130:156
               6200_hp5m:LaserWriter                        58624.136:157
              5145 lwntx:LaserWriter                        58624.102:138
       LaserWriter II NTX:LaserWriter                        58624.83:233
                  np1600:LaserWriter                        58624.183:130
              HP CopyJet:LaserWriter                        58624.132:158
          5145phaser200e:LaserWriter                        58624.103:128
            5200 hp4simx:LaserWriter                        58624.145:157
               5440_hp5m:LaserWriter                        58624.134:157
              LaserJet 5:LaserWriter                        58624.139:157

==============================================================================
my machine is in the zone "Genetics Sixth Floor". the printer i would
like to use is in "Genetics Seventh Floor".

i have tried to specify the zone in these ways. no error is returned,
but neither is any other information:

nbplkup "Genetics Sixth Floor"
nbplkup ":Genetics Sixth Floor"
nbplkup ":LaserWriter:Genetics Sixth Floor"

so, how do i do this?

-pjf

-- 
       "There is only one aim in life and that is to live it."
 Karl Shapiro,(1959) from an essay on Henry Miller's Tropic of Cancer
	  finger [email-masked] for PGP key
  zifi runs Linux 2.0.30               http://zifi.genetics.utah.edu

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 22:03:54 +0200 (MET DST)

> nbplkup ":LaserWriter:Genetics Sixth Floor"

nbplkup <Name>:<Type>@<Zone> is the correct syntax.

:wq! PoC

---

From: Trent Piepho <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 13:05:33 -0700 (PDT)

> nbplkup ":LaserWriter:Genetics Sixth Floor"

How about nbplkup ":LaserWriter@Genetic Sixth Floor"

|Gazing up to the breeze of the heavens \ on a quest, meaning, reason  |
|came to be, how it begun \ all alone in the family of the sun         |
|curiosity teasing everyone \ on our home, third stone from the sun.   |
|Trent Piepho ([email-masked])                   -- Metallica  |

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 16:50:08 -0400

> From:    patrick finerty <[email-masked]>
> To:      [email-masked]

> so, how do i do this?

man nbplkup gives see also nbp_name.  man nbp_name gives the syntax.

:wes

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 19:34:41 -0500

> man nbplkup gives see also nbp_name.  man nbp_name gives the syntax.

Yup. After chasing my tail, that's where I finally found the syntax.
I think nbplkup(1) should have more detail. Maybe I'll touch it up
and see if someone wants to add it to the distribution. I'd rather
somebody else (who really knows what they are doing) do it.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, [email-masked]
=====================================================================
The human mind ordinarily operates at only ten percent of its
capacity -- the rest is overhead for the operating system.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 22:10:23 -0400

> From:    [email-masked]

> I think nbplkup(1) should have more detail.

It used to have all of the detail, but since papd, afpd, pap, aecho,
and anything else for netatalk that's written correctly uses nbp_name()
to do the parsing, I moved the detail there.

:wes

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 21:25:25 -0500

> to do the parsing, I moved the detail there.

I agree, the information is all there. But it was about a hair's width
shy of being comprehesable on the first couple of reads. The example
given shows great promise:

EXAMPLE
       Find all devices of type LaserWriter in the local zone.

              example% nbplkup :LaserWriter
                             Petoskey:LaserWriter        7942.129:218
                           Gloucester:LaserWriter        8200.188:186
                               Rahway:LaserWriter        7942.2:138
                           517 Center:LaserWriter        7942.2:132
                                ionia:LaserWriter        7942.2:136
                   Evil DEC from Hell:LaserWriter        7942.2:130
                            Hamtramck:LaserWriter        7942.2:134
                       Iron Mountain :LaserWriter        7942.128:250
              example%

but the addition of a couple of lines saying something like:

     nbplkup on a specific zone:
	example% nbplkup "@Bld 7"

     Search for LaserWriters on a specific zone:
	example% nbplkup ":LaserWriter@Bld 7"

would go a long ways. And that's all I'm suggesting. No need for example
output.

I keep forgetting the command to list all zones. Might be good to add
to SEE ALSO as I wonder about that when looking at the nbplkup page. Or
is it nbplkup that lists all zones?