Subject: [netatalk-admins] randnum

From: Magnus Stenman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 1997 15:15:00 +0100

Is there a specific reason why 2-way randnums can´t authenticate
users against the /etc/passwd or /etc/shadow files?

I can just get it to work with the ~/.password  file

/magnus

---

From: dannyman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 09:07:12 -0600

> users against the /etc/passwd or /etc/shadow files?

iirc, the docs say the two-way scheme relies on the server knowing the
password to be encrypted. in most unix implementations, /etc/passwd is
encrypted one-way, so the server _doesn't_ know the password to use it for
2-way randnums.

-- 
  //Dan   -=-     This message brought to you by [email-masked]    -=-
\\/yori   -=-    Information - http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/djhoward/   -=-
aiokomete -=-   Our Honored Symbol deserves an Honorable Retirement

---

From: Alistair Riddell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 16:25:27 +0000 (GMT)

That would be because the for 2-way randnum to work the server must know
the each user's password, which is not available from /etc/passwd or
/etc/shadow. 

--
Alistair Riddell - BOFH
IT Support Department, George Watson's College, Edinburgh
Tel: +44 131 447 7931 Ext 176       Fax: +44 131 452 8594