Subject: [netatalk-admins] Samba, Netatalk, & LW II NT

From: Andrew Solmssen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 14:32:41 -0700 (PDT)

Hi - I have the following:

PPro 200 running Red Hat 4.2, Samba 1.9.16p11, and netatalk 1.4b2.
LaserWriter II NT connected via Dayna EtherPrint.
Windows 95B workstation.

The LWII is in /etc/printcap and uses pap/psf.  It works fine from the
Linux box.  Samba exports the printer and I can connect to the share from
my Win95 machine.  I set up the priter as a LWIINT, and I can print fine,
except that the burst page causes a postscript exception and prints an
error. This doesn't happen from the Linux machine. I also don't seem to be
able to turn off the burst page - i.e. an "sh" in the printcap does
nothing.  

Any thoughts?

---- Andrew

---

From: "Aaron M. Gowatch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 15:51:45 -0700 (PDT)

> able to turn off the burst page - i.e. an "sh" in the printcap does

I had similar problems using a LaserWriter 16/600 PS.  For some reason,
the printer would throw an error when I used something like ofpaprev as
opposed to ofpap. 

What does an entry in your /etc/printcap looks like?

Aa.

---

From: Andrew Solmssen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 16:24:46 -0700 (PDT)

It's fairly simple - as below:

bitboy-lw:\
	:sd=/var/spool/lpd/bitboy-lw:\
	:lp=/var/spool/lpd/bitboy-lw/null:\
	:mx#0:\
	:sh:\
	:if=/usr/local/atalk/etc/filters/ifpap:\
	:of=/usr/local/atalk/etc/filters/ofpap:

Also - I had no problems printing directly from the linux machine - it was
only going from a Win95 machine via a samba printer share to the linux box
to the printer that I get this error.

TIA...

---- Andrew

---

From: Gregor Retti <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 1997 09:53:19 +0200

>to the printer that I get this error.

I have fairly the same setup (slakware, netatalk 1.4b2, samba 1.9.16p2).
Here ist my printcap entry for a dec 1152 laserwriter:

laser:\
                  :sd=/usr/spool/lpd/laser:\
                  :lp=/dev/null:\
                  :lf=/var/adm/lpd-errs:\
                  :pl#63:pw#85:\
                  :sh:\
                  :of=/usr/local/atalk/etc/filters/ofpap:\
                  :if=/usr/local/atalk/etc/filters/ifpap:\
                  :tf=/usr/local/atalk/etc/filters/tfpap:\
                  :df=/usr/local/atalk/etc/filters/dfpap:

and here is the entry for the laser in smb.conf

[laser]
        comment = Digital DEClaser 1152
        path = /tmp
        postscript = True
        printable = yes
        available = yes
        printer name = laser
        guest ok = yes
        printer driver = Digital DEClaser 1152

works fine for me

greetings
gregor

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
 gregor retti ---------------- http://germ2.uibk.ac.at/germ/retti.html
-----------------------------------------------------------------------