Subject: [netatalk-admins] Re : Cannot login as guest on Linux

From: Regis Duchesne <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 23:25:12 +0100 (CET)

> I just installed netatalk on Linux, using the prepackaged Debian
> binary.  Everything goes well (thanks, people!), but I cannot log in
> as guest on the Linux box.
> I added an entry for a cdrom in /etc/AppleVolumes.default, and indeed
> the volume is seen by regular users from Macs, but one cannot mount it
> as guest, as the guest radio button is grayed.  I browsed through the
> latest year archive of the mailing list, but found nothing to this
> respect.

Same thing here :(
If you have the solution, please CC me, I'm not sure to be on this list.

Best regards,

Regis "HPReg" Duchesne - Engineering Student at ***** ******** *****
        www              http://www.via.ecp.fr/~regis/
       (O o)             I use Linux & 3Com (1135 KB/s over 10Mb/s ethernet)
--.oOO--(_)--OOo.-----------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Francesco Potorti` <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 97 12:04 MET

It seems that the debian package has a problem with pam (the
authentication library).  Also another problem shows up: if someone
tries to mount a volume with the wrong password, the server hangs and
must be restarted (and perhaps also the module unloaded and reloaded,
don't remember for sure).

I have been told that the latter problem goes away by recompiling
netatalk without pam support, but I don't know if that would make the
first problem go away, so I did nothing and am waiting for the next
release. 

I'm not on this list any more, I am now following linux-atalk, on
whose archives I found the info above.

-- 
Francesco Potorti` (researcher)        Voice:    +39-50-593203
Computer Network Division              Operator: +39-50-593211
CNUCE-CNR, Via Santa Maria 36          Fax:      +39-50-904052
56126 Pisa - Italy                     Email:    [email-masked]