Subject: [netatalk-admins] Unix-Authentication of FTP passwords

From: "Yannai A. Gonczarowski" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 1997 18:28:40 +0300

Hi,
I need to authenticate (with a unix machine) users trying to FTP to my
MAC (passwords typed by users ftp-ing to my MAC, will be authenticated
using a unix machine).
I am currently evaluating FTPd 3.0 for the MAC as a ftp server, however
it uses the users and groups database for authentication.
Is there a replacement for the users and groups database that uses NIS,
or some other form of remote-unix authentication?
If not, can any of you think of another way to do remote-ftp
authentication? Is there another FTP server that does that kind of
stuff?
Ny unix supports NIS, netatalk, samba, pcnfsd, and almost any kind of
password-authentication protocol.

P.S.
I need a solution that is shareware/freeware.

P.P.S.
I check MacLogin, and it doesn't have the needed capabilitied.

Thanks,
Bye,
Yannai.

--
Yannai A. Gonczarowski     System Administrator    
[email-masked]
The Hebrew University High School     
http://www.leyada.jlm.k12.il/~yannaigo/

"Do you want to know something? Everybody's human."
"I find that remark insulting."
  - Kirk and Spock, "Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered contry", stardate
9529.1

---

From: "Yannai A. Gonczarowski" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 19:39:52 +0300

[email-masked] wrote:
> have uou tried netpresenz (I think it's spelled like that...)
> later
> jb

Well, the server I said I am reviewing as NetPresenz (FTPd is an older
name for the same thing). And it authenticates users using the Users and
Groups control panel, while I want to authenticate via
NIS/appleshare/pcnfs/something like that.

Thanks anyway,
Bye,
Yannai.