Subject: [netatalk-admins] Large partition under Netatalk

From: "Aaron M. Gowatch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 11:39:20 -0700 (PDT)

I'm having some trouble accessing one particularly large partition via
Netatalk.

My AppleVolumes.default looks something like this:

~
/dsk/hot/bab                    "Bits & Bytes"
/dsk/hot/www                    "WWW"
/dsk/stuff/hwc/central          "Central"
/dsk/hot/www.docroot            "Other WWW"
/dsk/hot/eng                    "Engineering"
/dsk/stuff/usr_people           "Home Directories"
/dsk/hot/www/staff              "Home Pages"
/dsk/hot/www/testpatterns       "Test Patterns"

/dsk/hot is a 16G partition, comprised of four 4G disks hanging off of a
DPT RAID controller.

Everything works fine except for WWW, which when accessed will sit for
about 10 minutes before finally displaying a window which indicates that
there are 17,000 some odd files.  You cannot scroll within the window or
navigate the directory structure.

But if I go into /dsk/hot/www/.AppleDouble and delete .Parent, it will
work fine until that file is created again. 

When is this file created and what is its purpose?  Is there any reason
why it should be causing this kind of behavior?

The box runs Linux 2.0.30 and netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.0a14.  It has 192M of
RAM and 36G of disk.

Thanks in advance -
Aa.