Subject: [netatalk-admins] Problems with "Too many files open"

From: kann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 11:05:44 -0400

I am running 1.4b2 on Solaris 2.5.1 and it works mostly well.  The
problem is that for two of our classes we need to use Netscape 4.0
and CodeWarrior 12.  The problem is that both of these programs
seem to open a lot of files and this does not seem to work under
Netatalk and Solaris.  It does, however, work under AppleShare IP 5.0.

The configuration:

	PowerMac 7600/132 or Performa 6115 running System 7.5.5
	OpenTransport 1.1.2
	AppleShare 3.7.2
	Netscape Communicator 4.0.1
	CodeWarrior IDE 2.0

	SPARCstation 10 running Solaris 2.5.1
	Netatalk 1.4b2

To see the problem, copy a CodeWarrior project file to a netatalk
file server and try to open it with IDE 2.0 or copy the Netscape
user's folder (Netscape Preferences & such) to the netatalk file server
and open the Netscape Preferences from the file server.

Any guidance on this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Kirk Anne
SUNY Geneseo Computer Science Dept.
SUNY Geneseo
Geneseo, NY 14454

---

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 10:26:47 -0700 (PDT)

up the system-wide max number of open files and see if you still have
problems. you need to do it system-wide because each afpd session runs
as a particular user.

-a