Subject: [netatalk-admins] Yet Another Netatalk problem (YANP)

From: Jay <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 97 17:14:28 -0700

I think this one might have been mentioned on this list before, but I 
can't seem to find it in the archives...

I'm having another "file not found" problem when copying files from a 
netatalk volume.  This time, it is with files that are in a read-only 
directory, and therefore there is not a .AppleDouble directory within it.
Here's a test that reproduces the problem:

1) From the netatalk server, create a directory named "foo" (mkdir foo).  
Do this in a directory this is visible via netatalk.
2) Create a file in the foo directory (optional) (touch foo/bar).
3) Change foo so it is read-only (chmod a-w foo)
4) On the Mac client, cause the parent folder of foo to be re-read 
(remount the volume, or close and reopen the parent folder, whatever)
5) Try to copy the now visible foo folder to a local Mac disk.  Bzzzzzt.  
Won't work.

I'm running Mac OS 8 with netatalk 1.4b2+asun2.0a14.  I didn't have this 
problem with netatalk 1.4b2 (no patches) and Mac OS 7.6.1.

Anyone familiar with this one?

Jay O'Conor
[email-masked]

---

From: James Sentman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 09:55:29 -0500

-----<snip>-----
>Anyone familiar with this one?

-----<snip>-----

Under OS8 I see the same problem. It seems that OS8 is not happy with the
absence of a resource fork, even just on data files. It also wont let some
applications open those files without an error.

In order to be able to copy the files you must have them in a directory
that is writable by the client and then open the folder window, this
creates the appropriate entries in .AppleDouble and then you can drag them
elseware on the Mac. There may be other work arounds that would allow you
to keep files in a locked folder, but I haven't pursued them.

The only problems I've had with OS8 have been with appletalk. My finder
gets hosed up whenever I do something unusual, sometimes quitting
unexpectedly and restarting, not always sucessfully.

-James
__________________________________________________________________
 James Sentman                            [email-masked]
 Internet Systems Specialist                            Media One

 http://www.mediaone.com/          http://shoga.wwa.com/~sentman/
__________________________________________________________________