Subject: [netatalk-admins] Linux 2.0.31 + 1.4b2+asun2.0a17 + Zone setup

From: Yeak Nai Siew <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 97 22:25:52 +0800

Cannot start atalkd to define zone or use -seed.

I guess this is a bug. Because it is fine on 1.4b2, but not +asun2.0a17.

I installed the clean Slackware 3.4 with 2.0.30 kernel, and later upgrade 
it to 2.0.31. I applied the patch "2.0.30.diff" as well. Patch worked 
fine.

The sys/linux/Makefile was edited to add:
DEFS=   -DNEED_QUOTACTL_WRAPPER -DSHADOWPW

Initially I have compilation problem because I don't have tcpd.h header 
file for TCP WRAPPER. I got it from the Slackware source package. After 
copied that to /usr/include, it has no problem to compile. I don't use 
PAM, Keberos, and DES. So I commented them.

When I started netatalk from rc.atalk file, it was okay initially. I do 
"ps ax", I can see atalkd is running. The "ifconfig" also shows Ethernet 
Phase 2 on eth0 and eth1 with the right AppleTalk addresses.

PROBLEM: After I modified the atalkd.conf to add -seed and -zone 
parameter, and restart the Linux box, atalkd has problem to start up. It 
quits by itself without writting anything to syslog. The nbplkup doesn't 
show anything. No error reported as well. Trying to run afpd or papd will 
only cause "Connection Timeout". "ps ax" show no sign of atalkd is 
running. But "ifconfig" shows EtherTalk running with Phase 2. Any idea 
why?

I believe I have done all the necessary configuration. I read REAME, 
README.LINUX. Even copied services.atalk again to the /etc/services file. 
What else I missing? Concept of AppleShare IP?

The Macs I have are running MacOS 8 and MacOS 7.6.1. This should not be 
the source of problem.

Thanks.

--
Yeak Nai Siew                              << Macintosh Forever >>
Director, MIR Communications Sdn Bhd        http://www.mir.com.my/
Creator of Mac Power User Group        http://www.mir.com.my/mpug/
Fingerprint    @_pgp_@    3A6D 05D3 A3CE B8B7  20C3 CD63 DE82 732D