Subject: [netatalk-admins] automounting problem

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 97 15:27:33 BST

Hi folks,
I'm having problems mounting a directory...
Normally, a users .html files would be kept in ~/public_html, but this is not
the case with our site. We have both an intranet and a connection to the
internet. All files for the intranet are kept on the intranet server and 
automounted to /iws/<userid> WWW files are in /www/<userid>
This is done so that we can quota each of the users file areas individually.

My question is how do I mount the /iws area from a generic .AppleVolumes file, 
(explicitly stating the path works fine, but I don't want to have to create 
2000+ individually tailored files...)

I've tried using the following

/iws/~		"Intaranet Area"
/iws/$LOGNAME	"Intaranet Area"
/iws/`whoami`	"Intaranet Area"
/iws/<username>	"Intaranet Area"
As well as a couple of custom shell variables, all without success, any ideas?
later
jb

---

From: "Michael Rothwell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 11:01:44 -0400

>From reading previous messages, etc., this functionality is not available
in Netatalk as it is in Samba. For a simple fix, you could mount /iws and
leave it to the user to find their folder.

----------
> From: [email-masked]
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [netatalk-admins] automounting problem
> Date: Wednesday, July 09, 1997 11:27 AM
> 
> Hi folks,

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 97 16:17:46 BST

Hmmm...
>leave it to the user to find their folder.

The directory is *automounted* Meaning that /iws is an empty directory. When
somebody cd's to /iws/fred the automounter temporarily mounts the directory
/users/data/fred from the intranet server onto /iws on the local machine...

Oh well, looks like I'm writing a perl script tonight :(
later
jb

---

From: David Mankin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 1997 13:31:51 -0500

>/users/data/fred from the intranet server onto /iws on the local machine...

If it weren't for the automounting problem this would be an ideal
solution because it allows the users to make public files in their
directories and drop boxes.  Then they can see others' directories and
use their drop boxes.  That way it becomes a file -sharing- mechanism
as well as a serving device.

>Oh well, looks like I'm writing a perl script tonight :(
						      ^^^^
						That should be :-) --
						Perl scripting is fun!

-dm
--
David Mankin             | "This is a spaceman and he's trying to get to his
[email-masked] | spaceship." "Well, can't he just beam up?" "This
[email-masked]     | is reality, Greg." -- E.T. the Extra Terrestrial
--- PGP key Fingerprint 46 45 2E CF 1B EA A8 D2  C4 37 33 18 CC 20 A7 C6 ---

---

From: Everette G Allen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 08:18:47 -0400

There is sort of a solution to this problem.  Andy Maas formerly of
Stanford Univ. did a mod of Netatalk 1.3.x to make it lookup the user's
home dir in a bind database by use of hesiod calls.  The design was to be
used for afs but anything should work.  Basically one puts a special entry
in the configuration files on their "hesiod server" (which is really just a
DNS server) of the form
user.filsys HS TXT "afs /afs/data/users/a/b/buid w /mnt/buid"  which tells
netatalk to mount the afs path (could be ufs, nsf, dfs,afp, what ever)
/afs/data/users/a/b/buid for read and write in the local dir /mnt/buid and
publish it over afp.  The volume shows up as "Home of buid" on the mac
desktop.
Check out:
ftp://networking.stanford.edu/pub/andy/macleland/netatalk

>>Oh well, looks like I'm writing a perl script tonight :(

Everette Gray Allen                               Consultant IV
Box 7109 NCState Campus                     Computing Services
Raleigh, NC 27695-7109                       919-515-2517

Everette Gray Allen                               Consultant IV
Box 7109 NCState Campus                     Computing Services
Raleigh, NC 27695-7109                       919-515-2517