Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Print ID

From: Duncan Sinclair <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 1997 16:51:11 +0100

>I'm running 1.4b2 with Adrians mods (a15) on a SunOS box, it's serving a lab
>of 20 macs. The only problem I have with it is the lack of an individual print
>ID. Currently all printing comes from "mac-lab" the name in the papd file, is
>there any way to change this so that pages come out with the appropriate user
>ID? It's the only thing missing in an otherwise ideal solutiuon.

I've got a small hack which tries to turn the user's name (as set in
the "Sharing Setup" control panel) into the name used for the print job.

No attempt is made to authenticate the name, and so it's not recommended
for a quota environment.  It does make a "lpq" look nicer, and if your
user name is setup correctly then even "lprm" works.

I think I wrote this hack myself, but then forgot I had done so.  I
have been both surprised by the function in my setup, and the lack of
it in others.

For some reason the hack removes the ability of papd to determine the
"Title" of the print job.  I don't know why it does so.

It's part of my patches to netatalk-1.4b2, which also provide a measure
of LPRng compatibility.

Find it at:
  http://www.dis.strath.ac.uk/ftp/sinclair/my-netatalk.diff
    - or -
   ftp://ftp.dis.strath.ac.uk/pub/sinclair/my-netatalk.diff

Cheers,

Duncan.

---

From: Tim Buller <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 16:30:18 -0500 (CDT)

Does anyone have both the MAE 3.0 AppleTalk components and netatalk
running under Solaris? The MAE manual cautions against installing the
AppleTalk components (kernel-level driver, etc.) if another AppleTalk-ing
package is already installed. I was just curious if this is actually a
problem; I haven't tried to install the MAE network components yet...

	Tim

====
Tim Buller                                       [email-masked]
Systems Specialist                       Snow Hall 643, (785) 864-7311
Department of Mathematics     University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS 66045