Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Failed login attempts problem and Volume size

From: TheJestr <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 10:50:23 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 6 Nov 1997, Andras Kadinger wrote:

Thank you very much! :), someone told me about the new Apple client.  I
have been having problems uncompressing the .img file though.  I guess I
need to get the Disk Copy application from Apple.  

My main problem is the server disabling logins when a failed attempt
to login to it occurs.  I have to reboot the server which will be a huge
problem when I bring the server online as I am running both Netware
emulation (for DOS clients) and SAMBA (for WinNT/95) clients as well as a 
web server. I just cant bring the server down each time someone makes a
mistake w/ his/her login name/password.  Any assistance with this problem
would be greatly apprecitated.

Problem Reiterated:
A Macintosh user attempts to login and specifies the wrong username and/or
password.  The next person attempting to connect to the server gets the
message No response from the server.  The server itself seems fine.  I can
still do nbplkup and see all the other Macs on the network.  
I attempt to restart the process by typing (in /etc/rc.d/init.d/) ./atalk
stop (that works) but for some reason ./atalk start does not.
I get a message about Child process not starting.  So to restart atalkd I
have to reboot the server.  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
The guy who wrote the hokey pokey died but they couldn't get him in the
casket.  They put his left foot in...
It stinks! -- Jay Sherman.  Noted Critic
[email-masked]
Me am goto collig
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Randall Downer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 11:52:08 -0500 (EST)

I can recreate your symptoms on my Solaris 2.5.1 boxxes with 1.4b2. 
However, after i do the /etc/init.d/atalk stop I still find running 
atalk processes.

Kill them off and you (i) can /etc/init.d/atalk start.

However, the only mac os that causes this problem appears to be 7.5.X, 

my 8.0 and 7.6.x boxxes _do_not_ cause this to happen.

Anybody else seeing this? Is it a Solaris/7.5.X only problem?

Randy

> have to reboot the server.  

-------------------------------------------------------------
Randall Downer                          244 BioSci Building
Systems Programmer                      Duke University
Botany/Zoology Department               Durham,NC 27708
[email-masked]                          919-660-7273

---

From: TheJestr <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 15:23:07 -0500 (EST)

I downloaded and installed this new client and MacOS still sees my /g1
volume as 541 mb's it's actually 6gb and it sees the /u1 volume as 1.9 gb
and its actually 3.2gb.  Any ideas? And this failed login attempt thing is
still a problem.

thejestr

> TheJestr wrote:
> > 6GB Volume Problem:
> > Is there any possible way to get MACs to see volumes 5GBs or higher.
> > I installed MAC OS 8 and that didnt seem to work.  I would rather not
> > split the volume as I installed this server for the sole purpose of
> > providing a large volume for my art departments huge files.
> 
> I apologize if I am the nth telling You,
> 
> 1. AFAIK, as long, as netatalk can see the entire volume, You can use
> it, with the only inconvenience of seeing it max ~2GB, and seeing max
> ~2GB free space in any case, which means, You can not copy more than
> ~2GB onto the volume _in_one_step_ (because Finder thinks, there is not
> enough space); the free space indication will only get lower, when there
> _really_ is less than ~2GB space. This ~2GB is a limitation of the AFP
> structures (somewhere there is a signed long - 31 bits=2G) - in order to
> avoid an overflow in the Macintosh client, netatalk has to give it
> something, it 'can take'.
> 
> 2. AFAIK, this limitation has been lifted (somewhat - ?) in the new AFP
> specification; the newest AppleShare Client 3.7.2 (available from
> www.apple.com | Software Updates | Recent changes [as of today]) has a
> higher limit (I guess 64 bits - ?). As You say MacOS 8 cannot see 5GB or
> higher, this might mean, there is only 32 bits - 4GB; nevertheless,
> MacOS 8 (the one I use) has an older AppleShare Client; it is worth
> upgrading, because You finally don't have to press Option to get a
> TCP/IP connection - it is the default now. :-)
> 
> Sincerely,
> Andras Kadinger
> [email-masked]
>