Subject: [netatalk-admins] .AppleDouble purpose?

From: TheJestr <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 17:39:44 -0500 (EST)

I can't seem to find any documentation on .AppleDouble directories created
by macs when placing files or folders in a Netatalk volume.  Can someone 
explain to me the purpose of these directories and the ramifications of
removing them?

Thank you

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
The guy who wrote the hokey pokey died but they couldn't get him in the
casket.  They put his left foot in...
It stinks! -- Jay Sherman.  Noted Critic
[email-masked]
Me am goto collig
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Alistair Riddell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 1997 00:43:37 +0000 (GMT)

The .AppleDouble directories contain all the Mac-Specific portions of
files i.e. the resource fork, type/creator codes, finder info, and a few
other bits. Basically theu hold everything that is only useful to the Mac.

Deleting the .AppleDouble directories is probably not a good idea unless
you no longer want to read the files on a Mac.

--
Alistair Riddell - BOFH
IT Support Department, George Watson's College, Edinburgh
Tel: +44 131 447 7931 Ext 176       Fax: +44 131 452 8594

---

From: Bill Stewart-Cole <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 20:04:31 -0600

>you no longer want to read the files on a Mac.

Actually, it doesn't seem to cause any *serious* problems, as long as you
are only dealing with data files (no resource forks that require
preservation). I know this only because I took a big chance on it and
failed to get clobbered by anything serious. (it involves mirror, a remote
web server, and the world's goofiest bidirectional file sync setup...)

I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND TRYING THIS ON ANY SERVER THAT HOLDS MAC EXECUTABLES!!!

----
Bill Stewart-Cole
This space for rent. Inquire within.

---

From: "J. Stenberg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 23:18:39 -0600 (CST)

Hello.

I am new to most of this though I have done much with small apple
networks.  I love the speed of Netatalk but I am beginning to wonder if I
need to step down to CAP.  Here is my problem:

When loading files from the Netatalk served volume with Filemaker, the app
thinks there are too many files open and refuses to open any more.  This
happens with as few as 2 files open at the same time.  I have tried
Filemaker 3.0.1, 3.0.4 and 4.0.  The macs are running 7.6.1 and have been
set up to use TCPIP (100base T cards bottlenecked through a 10baseT hub).
Incidently I have tried switching appletalk between TCPIP and Localtalk.
No go.

Tomorrow I will try the ForceDDP extension but this is a shot in the dark.

Also, I should note that I have ap[plied the Solariseagain patch.

Thanks for to those who have made this available and to anyone who will
help,

-jarrod

--                                   --
Jarrod P. Stenberg                   [email-masked]
612.646.6427                         www.visi.com/~jarrod
612.901.6650                         www.denizen.net

"The more that science explains our existence, the more implausible we
seem."  -John Horgan