Subject: [netatalk-admins] MacOS 8

From: Don Garrett <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 14:47:09 -0500

I have just installed MacOS 8, and have found some odd behaviour. I use
my Linux machine to share files between PCs and Macs. Mac OS 8 is having
trouble copying files that have no resource forks. If you open the
folder containing the file, a resource fork is created, and the file
will copy properly. However, if I have a directory hierarchy several
layers deep, and try to copy it in one move, the problem can appear.

        The mac stops for each such file and reports "The file "X"
couldn't be read, because it cannot be found. Do you want to continue
copying?"

        Has anyone else seen this problem?

        On a brighter note, file access seems to be much faster from
Macs when copying large folders.

PS:
        I've just rejoined the netatalk mailing list, so I apologize if
this has been a recent topic of discussion. I did check the archives
first.

--
Don Garrett                                          [email-masked]
BGB Consulting                     http://home.earthlink.net/~dongar/