Subject: [netatalk-admins] Group permissions

From: "Aaron M. Gowatch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 1997 14:56:54 -0700 (PDT)

I'm running netatalk-1.4b2 under Linux 2.0.30.

Netatalk doesnt appear to be recognizing the various groups that a given
user is in.

For instance, if a users primary group was 'staff' and the user was also
in the group 'edit', a file or directory writable by the group 'edit' is
not writable by the user.

Is there any reason a users groups would not would not be honored by
Netatalk?

Aa.

---

From: Gregor Retti <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 1997 08:44:58 +0200

>not writable by the user.

group permissions work fine for me (netatalk-1.4b2, Linux 2.0.30), tough
you may have to keep in mind, that adding a user to a group is not
recognized for a running connection (as under unix). the user has to
unmount all appleshare volumes and login again.

greetings
gregor

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
 gregor retti ---------------- http://germ2.uibk.ac.at/germ/retti.html
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Aaron M. Gowatch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 1997 08:02:39 -0700 (PDT)

> unmount all appleshare volumes and login again.

Yea, for the most part, the users are already members of multiple groups.

But I've discovered some rather strange behaviour.  If a user would open a
window, and the icon which indicates that the directory is read-only
appears at the upper left, the user can create a directory, but not delete
it.  Also if a user would edit a file in that same read-only directory
with something like Simpletext, they can write their changes, but they
cannot write the file using something like BBEdit.

Oh, and this is netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.0a14 if that might make a difference.

Any other suggestions?

Aa.