Subject: [netatalk-admins] Need help w/ file/directory create modes

From: TheJestr <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 1997 12:33:37 -0500 (EST)

Hello, I am setting up a netatalk server or about 80 end users.  
One of the Volumes/Apple share names that I have set up is called Groups.  
It's a Volume for
the departments to share their files.  Within the Volume are serveral
department names: ART, MEDIA, MAGAZINE etc.  There are Linux group names 
matching the department names ie. art, media and magazine.  
What I would like is for any files or directories copied into ART Folder
to maintain the GID of art, Any files copied into the MEDIA to have media
GID... you get the picture.  So what i did was (first chgrp art ART, chgrp
media MEDIA, chgrp magazine MAGAZINE) chmod -R 2770 ART MEDIA MAGAZINE.  
What happens is when I copy a file into any of these directories
it maintains the GID of the respective GROUP.  When I copy a directory
into ART, MEDIA etc it too maintains the GID of the group, but! when I copy a
file into a subdirectory of art (lets say I put a file in GROUPS/ART/FOODIR/)
it takes the primary GID of the person copying the file.  This is a HUGE
problem as it means files copied into the subdir of ART can only be modified by
its owner.

Now, I am also running SAMBA and MARS-NWE (Netware Emulation) on this
server and I do not have a problem, all files and subdirectories maintain the 
GID of art, media, etc when files and directories and subdirectories w/
files are put in the ART, MEDIA, MAGAZINE directory.  Both of these
applications (SAMBA/MARS) have settings for create mode values.  

Is there anything I can do netatalk not maintaining GIDs? Is there any
setting in netatalk for file/directory creation mode values.  Any assistance 
would be greatly 
appreciated. 

Thank you

TheJestr

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 1997 13:23:04 -0500

> From:    TheJestr <[email-masked]>
> To:      [email-masked]

> setting in netatalk for file/directory creation mode values.

You can set this in /etc/fstab with the "grpid" mount option.  This
means that files are created with BSD sematics, i.e. new file system
objects inherit the group of the containing directory.

:wes